Register Now
Yaramaki

What Gaming subscriptions do you have and are you satisfied with them?

What gaming subscriptions do you currently pay for?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What gaming subscriptions do you currently pay for?

• Xbox Gamepass
    • Xbox live
    • Playstation Plus
    • Playstation Now
    • Nintendo Switch online
    • Others
    • None of the above

Time for a good old fashioned poll! As topic title says What Gaming subscriptions do you have and are you satisfied with them? Why not? Do you pay for any of the more expensive premium services like xbox game pass ultimate or playstation plus premium or just go for the base version?

As for myself I just pay for xbox live, while it's probably just a waste of money as i don't game online, i feel like i still get my money's worth with the free games with gold program.

Edit : if you feel like i left out any major subscription service please let me know so i can add it into the poll.

Edited by Yaramaki

I currently got Xbox game pass ultimate. I usually get it from Microsoft rewards every month or so. That's why I like ms rewards, because you can get some good stuff from searching and all that. 

I try not to pay for it, just use reward points if I can. 

Playstation Plus as I'm currently exploring the new libraries they added, which felt like a better option for our new PS5 rather than gambling 1-3 games for full price a year. Had a years worth of Switch Online that ended last week since I don't use it a lot.

I also have a recurring subscription to Final Fantasy XIV if that counts!

On 9/1/2022 at 11:49 PM, Kane99 said:

Does anyone here still subscribe to gaming magazines? I imagine most magazines don't come out physically anymore, but mostly digitally. Does that count towards this topic? I miss the days of gaming magazines when they also offered game discs. Good times! 

Those were the days when magazines came with a demo disk, while the magazines were mostly shit like opm you just got these for the demo disk, good times as a kid and a great way to discover new games and kill a few hours in anticipation whenever your parents would give you a new game. Oh man more simpler times that sadly will never come back.

I had a subscription to retrogamer for the longest time but that was until a few years ago because they starting to focus more and more on old mostly british computers then anything else it diden't interest me all that much anymore and since it's coming from the uk it was like 125 euros a year for subscription which was expensive for a magazine that i just tended to flip trough quickly once before throwing on top the pile. 

I still buy a dutch magazine called power unlimited every month but don't have a subscription for it.

Edited by Yaramaki

I can't select none lol @Yaramaki 😂
maybe it should be added as one of the options.

On 9/2/2022 at 5:49 AM, Kane99 said:

Does anyone here still subscribe to gaming magazines? I imagine most magazines don't come out physically anymore, but mostly digitally. Does that count towards this topic? I miss the days of gaming magazines when they also offered game discs. Good times! 

57 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

Those were the days when magazines came with a demo disk, while the magazines were mostly shit like opm you just got these for the demo disk, good times as a kid and a great way to discover new games and kill a few hours in anticipation whenever your parents would give you a new game. Oh man more simpler times that sadly will never come back.

I never experienced that time period exactly, but I've seen enough stories and anecdotes to feel that was a sort of good unique experience when the internet basically didn't exist like now, and LAN parties and game clubs and guide books were a thing.

Games were basically a new and unknown frontier, rewarding the explorers.

I didn't exist yet at that time lols. 🤣

i have the nintendo switch online service because i can't access in game stuff without it. or play with friends without it. i'm satisfied with it. it costs me $20 a year. i don't get any of the extra bells and whistles with the online expansion whatever it is that's like $50 a year. the only thing i've splurged on so far was the minimal founders pack for disney dreamlight valley. 

1 hour ago, Gonassis said:

I can't select none lol @Yaramaki 😂
maybe it should be added as one of the options.

I never experienced that time period exactly, but I've seen enough stories and anecdotes to feel that was a sort of good unique experience when the internet basically didn't exist like now, and LAN parties and game clubs and guide books were a thing.

Games were basically a new and unknown frontier, rewarding the explorers.

I didn't exist yet at that time lols. 🤣

Good call @Gonassis i'll add in another option so you can vote for something atleast. I kind off want to keep this conversation going since i normally never pass up an opportunity to reminisce about the good old days aka childhood and share some stories as to how life was in belgium 20 orso years ago but that would completly derail this thread.

If you want to keep going about this subject i encourage you to open a new topic and share some of your own childhood/adult experiences since you know it would be interesting and cool as to what somebody younger considers the good old days and I'll gladly chip in with a few my own.

Edited by Yaramaki

I paid for PS Plus because I wanted the cloud save. The Singapore PS Plus library sucks though so I have to switch to my US-based account for the wider library range, but even then, I'd rarely see anything that catches my eye. No classic PS2/PS3 games.

PS Now isn't available in Singapore, period, and I don't know how that would work with a US PS account, so I didn't bother.

I also paid for Nintendo Online. Can't remember the exact reason, but it might have something to do with the cloud save like PS Plus, because I'm definitely not interested in Nintendo's legacy titles like I am with Sony's legacy titles. I did see a few N64 titles that caught my interest, but they're few and far between. I did find the original N64 Shin Megami Tensei, so that's surprising, and it's something I'll definitely try out someday. If only they included SMT II as well.

I put "Other" because it's not really a video gaming subscription service: I pay for D&D Beyond's content sharing subscription, so I can share my purchased books with the players of my group, all of which are new to the hobby so this makes it a lot easier for them to get into it and the content they want to play. The subscription itself is cheap but the books are a pretty penny, and only pay for themselves after a few months.

Regarding video game subscription services, I'd only want to pay for Gamepass and I just don't play enough of their selection to justify paying for it. It's the best deal in the gaming landscape hands down, but it's just not for me. The Xbox App is a bit cack too.

On 9/1/2022 at 4:49 PM, Kane99 said:

Used to but I haven't in almost a decade - I miss gaming magazines too with all kinds of cool game exclusive cheat codes among other content but sadly, that ship has run its course.