Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games that don’t contain a lot of prejudice

That’s entirely on your players. A lot of people who experience prejudice against them on a regular basis play games to escape that sort of thing, but some people find it empowering to have the opportunity to fight back against it without the oftentimes harsh consequences of doing the right thing.

Animal Crossing New Horizons. Whatever you do in that game, the villagers are always happy for you, where in the previous games (particularly the first one, it's been toned down more and more every installment) they could be more rude. But NH is essentially just a tool for the player to express themselves without fear of pushback nor repercussion.

I don't know much about games that doesn't have a lot prejudice but I have played one's that had it spilling over. Take for instance in Resident Evil 5 where a muscular white man shot to hell diseased monster Africans. What makes it worst was that he actually started shooting at them even before he found out they are monsters. 

On 8/31/2022 at 8:19 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Prejudice and bigotry are common parts of many game universes. What are some games where they play only a minor role or no role at all, despite there being a diverse population?

Talk about a confusing topic as i had to look up what prejudice and bogotry means and i still don't know,

@StaceyPowers while i appreciate you creating many new topics and one can only wish they had the creativity to come up with topics as much you do because it encourages activity and discussion on the board. It would be helpful if you could add little more then just a question in your posts as in give us an example to go on, this topic being a prime example of confusing what do you want me to answer, maybe it's my barebones english that fails me at times i don't know. It also doesen't help you don't follow up on a lot of your own threads but that is your decision.

Offcourse i'm in no position to tell you what to do and i won't, just see this as constuctive feedback since a lot of your threads deal with more out of box topics the least you can do is add an example or atleast be a bit more clearer in your opening posts. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Yaramaki
grammar mistakes

On 9/2/2022 at 6:51 AM, Tonberry said:

Animal Crossing New Horizons. Whatever you do in that game, the villagers are always happy for you, where in the previous games (particularly the first one, it's been toned down more and more every installment) they could be more rude. But NH is essentially just a tool for the player to express themselves without fear of pushback nor repercussion.

this is true. plus i believe the game itself is more open to diversity.

On 9/2/2022 at 12:51 PM, Tonberry said:

3 minutes ago, runswithspatulas said:

this is true. plus i believe the game itself is more open to diversity.

I must admit, of all the games I expected to get a mention in this thread, Animal Crossing was right at the bottom of this list, but is what @Tonberry said is accurate and depending on what the social perspective of yourself is as the main character there could indeed be a lot more to this than meets the eye. I haven't played the games myself, but maybe my own preconceptions and assumptions about the franchise has led me to underestimate these games and develop something of a prejudice of my own about them. This is interesting and really want to learn more. Can either of you offer more information and/or media on this?

Honestly I don't know. There is probably themes of this in some games and other forms of media, no doubt about that. But I don't know if games intentionally do it in a bad way. I think it's always a way to show a character who is bad, or awful. Like a bigoted person in a video game who you may have to fight or work for even. Games like GTA have many offensive characters for example, some of the characters are clear bigots, either racists, homophobes, etc. I don't think it then means that game is promoting it. You know what I mean? Idk. I'm kinda confused with this topic. 

For me, I think there are characters in many games that are bigots; racist, homophobic, transphobic, etc. Usually they are painted as the bad guys these days, or shown as sleazy, and creepy often. I'm sure there are a slew of GTA characters we could name off as being one of the three I mentioned above. 

8 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Honestly I don't know. There is probably themes of this in some games and other forms of media, no doubt about that. But I don't know if games intentionally do it in a bad way. I think it's always a way to show a character who is bad, or awful. Like a bigoted person in a video game who you may have to fight or work for even. Games like GTA have many offensive characters for example, some of the characters are clear bigots, either racists, homophobes, etc. I don't think it then means that game is promoting it. You know what I mean? Idk. I'm kinda confused with this topic. 

For me, I think there are characters in many games that are bigots; racist, homophobic, transphobic, etc. Usually they are painted as the bad guys these days, or shown as sleazy, and creepy often. I'm sure there are a slew of GTA characters we could name off as being one of the three I mentioned above. 

The topic is a bit confusing on what bigotry represents in the gaming industry. I don't think too much about some world views when I use some characters in games such as GTA series and Resident Evil. I play to catch fun and relax and doing extensive analysis can never be my goal.

ok now i'm confused. if the question is which games offer the least prejudice or bigotry i am sticking to ac new horizons. you can make whatever island you want. if you're part of the lgbtq crowd you can have that kind of island if that's what you want. i had a goth island going. i since restarted to do something else. i'm sure you could do just about anything on acnh u wanted. it's a creative/simulation type game. acnh doesn't really hang on male or female roles or nationalities or even sex. you just go to this deserted island and get yourself 10 villagers and start creating. the villagers go along with whatever because their those AI's and you can interact with them. befriend them and even love them. 

On 9/2/2022 at 6:51 AM, Tonberry said:

Animal Crossing is a great shout - It never came to mind because I've only played one or two games.