Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games that make really intentional use of music

Mass Effect games are a big one, with the music setting the proper atmosphere and mood. That Normandy theme always gets me.

I feel like Detroit: Become Human had some decent tracks too that enhanced the thrill and emotions of the scenes, like "Now", from Connor's chase sequence. God, that was so good. Made the scene so much more intense:

I love this question, and goes beyond just asking for good music. I can't provide as good answers as others here but I hope they'll suffice all the same.

• Medievil & Medievil 2: That's not a spelling error, the games were called Medievil. Composer duo Bob & Barn made some terrific tracks for their games, fully understanding the tone the games and levels required. The first game is rather haunting, preferring horror to comedy, and the music does an excellent job of aiding the atmosphere. Meanwhile Medievil 2 is more comical, but allows itself many triumphant and adrenaline-fuelled hits such as its boss themes.
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. As a parody of 80s crime films and TV shows, Vice City is as much a character as Tommy Vercetti. The game borrows a lot of inspiration from the 80s and uses its music well for its several radio stations, proceeding to raise awareness of the hits back then even today. Its implementation of music is as cheesy as everything else it does.
  • Left 4 Dead: Not much to say on this one, it's chilling when it wants to be, provides alerts and cues when necessary, and the final victory songs make the player feel like it's not over and they've only bought themselves a brief respite.
On 9/2/2022 at 12:13 PM, Empire said:

DOOM is definitely the right answer. Regards epic and great music and whatnot that I love to hear.

Regarding Doom (2016), I found the music to be sensory overload and just listened to the first two Doom games' soundtracks as they at least try different styles of song. It wasn't just heavy metal, Mick Gordon's contributions being one of the myriad reasons why I consider Doom 2016 to be 'Doom by committee.'

That said it's a perfectly reasonable answer to the question. I guess my problem with it is its soundtrack is too pronounced and deliberate.

On 9/3/2022 at 11:27 AM, Heatman said:

You can't mention video games that had decent link up with impressive soundtracks without mentioning the Halo Series. The way the game's music flows up in the storyline and development of the game is a grand masterpiece. 

Good choice. I think that's the first game or series of games that firmly grounded the importance of soundtrack in video games, and did a lot to elevate the medium. No longer were they just little ditties or background noise, Martin O'Donnell's music was as much a part of the game as the locales and characters.

Edited by Withywarlock

I second the Silent Hill series. I'd add that most horror games these days have some decent sound design. I remember Layers of Fear having a decent sound going for it. Not a big fan of the game these days though. 

Also I would add Jet Set Radio, GTA series, Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2. Tony Hawks Pro Skater series, Need for Speed, Madden etc.

On 8/31/2022 at 7:59 PM, killamch89 said:

The following games have intentional uses of music:

• Silent Hill 2
  • RE 2 and 3 Remake
  • Skyrim in terms of combat

I fell in love with Skyrim as a result of the background music during fights. I like them and even went as far as getting the music on my playlist as well.

On 9/4/2022 at 8:44 PM, Withywarlock said:

Good choice. I think that's the first game or series of games that firmly grounded the importance of soundtrack in video games, and did a lot to elevate the medium. No longer were they just little ditties or background noise, Martin O'Donnell's music was as much a part of the game as the locales and characters.

I have some of Martin O'Donnell's songs on my playlist. A few of such songs are;

1. Deference for Darkness  

2. No Stone Unturned

3. At Any Cost 

On 9/4/2022 at 9:41 PM, Kane99 said:

I second the Silent Hill series. I'd add that most horror games these days have some decent sound design. I remember Layers of Fear having a decent sound going for it. Not a big fan of the game these days though. 

Also I would add Jet Set Radio, GTA series, Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2. Tony Hawks Pro Skater series, Need for Speed, Madden etc.

Tony Hawks pro skater series is one game that features a lot of music that are intentionally played at different stages and whenever you are trying to complete a particular stunt in the game.