Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you look up in advance if characters will die?

Nope, in most cases I do not want to know about the game ended untill I played the game myself. If I know then what's the point of playing the game. With GTAV at least that it can end in three-ways and you ahve to pick and choose who ends up dead at the end of the story. 

While i try to avoid spoilers as much as possible it's not always easy to avoid spoilers especially when said game is over a year old and pretty much everyone has played it exept for you, but yeah sometimes i'm guilty of looking up a characters dead if it can be avoided or not especially when i already know what is going to happen because somebody felt the need to spoil the game for me i'm sure they mean no harm but you know it's annoying if that is the case may aswell try and go for the best possible ending in the game.

On 9/1/2022 at 10:34 PM, killamch89 said:

Nope because that just spoils all the anticipation for me. The only reason I look up gameplay spoilers is to see if the game is worth my time or not.

It's part of the reason why most gamers are not good with getting spoilers. It roots out the suspense in playing the game and even takes away the real fun. Although, some gamers are good with it. 

On 9/1/2022 at 3:48 AM, StaceyPowers said:

Do you ever look up if main characters in a game will die before you start playing the game, or in the middle of it?

Sometimes I do this, just because downer endings are easier to cope with for me if I see it coming.

Never have haha, I've done it with Anime series, reading books or other things like this but never in a game xD

It depends on the type of game. I'll look to see if companions will die in RPGs, particularly older ones where the 'essential NPC' wasn't implemented, so that I know if it's going to be worth the hassle of taking all their (my) stuff off their corpse or reload a save. If they can die, I know to save early and save often.

I can still enjoy a story with elements of it being spoilt. Take for example Valkyria Chronicles: I was not expecting the death of a major character, and it hit me with overwhelming sadness. I can't say for sure if it would've been the same if it had been spoilt, I can't turn back the clock, but I can say it would've still been shocking because it was executed by talented developers who understand their story, characters, setting, and how to blend them all together and pace them with acute precision. If I'm looking up to see if a character dies it's either because I love them so much that I want the best outcome for them without wasting time, or that the game makes it clear they're going to die and I just want to save time and find out when.

I want to play a game where I'm so engrossed in it that I don't even bother to look up a character's fate, especially those I don't ordinarily care about, like said character from Valkyria Chronicles.

Nope, I hate hearing how a game, movie, tv show, or anything ends, as I may want to check it out myself. It's why I try not to look at comments when a new movie releases, because you'll often get spoiled. It happened to me with Joker most recently, and I hate it. 

If it's a game or other form of media I don't care much for, sure maybe I'll say yes to you spoiling it for me, but that's only if I never intend to watch it myself. Maybe I will, I like watching dumb movies too. 😄