Register Now
Kane99

Valve says ‘next-gen’ Steam Decks are planned and may include streaming machines

Source - https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/valve-says-next-gen-steam-decks-are-planned-and-may-include-streaming-machines/

Sounds like we may be getting a new Steam Deck at some point. It's probably very early on, but the next Steam Deck could be a streaming machine. So you could probably stream movies/tv as well as video games even. We all know the future will eventually be streaming. 

Also, with this new Steam Deck, it will probably have a completely different look and design. Which I don't mind. I don't like when products look the same with each new version, so switching it up doesn't hurt. 

Anyway, would you buy a new Steam Deck if it was upgraded even more and had streaming capabilities? 

It definitely makes sense to diverge into two lines. Once zen4 4nm APUs become widely available in 2023/24 it will become feasible to have a portable machine pegged to a performance point to be able to play ps5/xbsx games. However it'll be unlikely for such a device to be at the price point of the current deck.

9 hours ago, Empire said:

It definitely makes sense to diverge into two lines. Once zen4 4nm APUs become widely available in 2023/24 it will become feasible to have a portable machine pegged to a performance point to be able to play ps5/xbsx games. However it'll be unlikely for such a device to be at the price point of the current deck.

Ah nice! Do you think that will bring a price increase? Or do you think they will try to price these new ones at the same prices the current ones sit at? Or will they be even pricier? I hope they're affordable, because the current deck is pretty affordable imo. 

23 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Ah nice! Do you think that will bring a price increase? Or do you think they will try to price these new ones at the same prices the current ones sit at? Or will they be even pricier? I hope they're affordable, because the current deck is pretty affordable imo. 

I can see them pricing it similarly but maybe a little bump in price here and there but I don't expect them to increase the price drastically in the second release. Further down the road, when the Steam Deck has become more mainstream, they'll do that.

I'd be interested in buying a new a Steam Deck if the upgrades are worth it with the price it's been sold at. 

On 9/4/2022 at 10:00 PM, Kane99 said:

From the looks it, they would most likely have the price up a little bit but not too much, otherwise they will lose buyers. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

I'd be interested in buying a new a Steam Deck if the upgrades are worth it with the price it's been sold at. 

From the looks it, they would most likely have the price up a little bit but not too much, otherwise they will lose buyers. 

Yeah if the prices aren't too much higher, I think this would sell like hot cake. And to think, I could see some people selling their original models to get some money to go for the new model. 

Even if it was $100 or $200 extra, I think they'd still be worth it. 

On 9/18/2022 at 6:41 PM, Kane99 said:

Yeah if the prices aren't too much higher, I think this would sell like hot cake. And to think, I could see some people selling their original models to get some money to go for the new model. 

Even if it was $100 or $200 extra, I think they'd still be worth it. 

$100 at most for me - Anything more and it just makes sense to buy a brand new one. Used electronics have gotten a lot more expensive in recent years.

On 9/29/2022 at 2:05 AM, killamch89 said:

$100 at most for me - Anything more and it just makes sense to buy a brand new one. Used electronics have gotten a lot more expensive in recent years.

$200 would be the mark for me. I don't see anything wrong with spending that kind of money on a gaming device that can last for a number of years. Absolutely nothing wrong as long as the quality is there.