Register Now
StaceyPowers

How Current Are You On Games?

I have a cheap laptop which doesn’t play newer games (it barely handles old ones), and didn’t even own a PS3 until last year. Prior to that, my most recent console was … an original Nintendo.

Anyway, as you might expect, I am only now catching up on PS3 games from years ago. The downside is that I know every spoiler in the universe about most of the games I play, but the upshot is that I can buy everything I wanted to try ages ago for like $5 each. That actually works out for me, because I don’t really have the deep pockets I’d need to buy everything when it releases.

I always wonder how many other people are like me, lagging years behind on games, and how many actually are able to buy new games when they come out. How long do you usually wait (or have to wait) before you buy a new console or game that interests you?

I try to keep up with everyone else, as me and my friends love playing video games together so I'd feel incredibly left out if I couldn't play with them. That said, even with the latest consoles (Switch, PS4, etc) there's still a lot that I do miss out on due to lack of money and time. Mostly time. I'm still behind in some of the big games like Far Cry 5 and God of War but I'll catch up!

Eventually...

I feel you 😄 If I decide to buy something it will be something old that I wanted to buy for a long time. whenever I want to check out recent releases I check news, reviews, youtube and twitch so I won't feel left out hahahaha

There's so many titles releasing that noone in his right mind could afford or have time to play all of them. 😄

I graduated college in 2014, and since then I've been working continuously to buy games I missed and beat them. I've gone through massive buying spells which inflate my backlog, and periods where I'm powering through game after game. I've gone from 35ish games in my backlog in 2014, down to 7 in 2015, back up to 53 by early 2017, and right now I'm on a big downward trend where I've got just 10 games in my backlog. I'm hoping to keep it manageable from here on out, especially since I think I've "caught up" on most of the stuff I was interested in on older consoles.

I don't know if I'll ever hit 0, or if I ever even want to hit 0. It's about the journey and not the destination.

But I WILL finish Donkey Kong 64 some day. It's been sitting stubbornly in my backlog for 19 years, haha.

Edited by ApolloVI

This is funny. I mean, my Wii was bought in 2008 and I still haven't bothered to get the Wii U!  Anyway, though, it's much cheaper now so time should be coming up. 

Edited by Jayson

I'm a bit of a late adopter when it comes to games. Mostly due to money. I can't buy every new release when it comes out, I'd really be poor. Same with consoles, I would have a Nintendo Switch by now its been out for a while. But I never feel bad because the games get cheaper after a few years of waiting.

I do my best to keep up though lately I've been forced to save up money for a new PC entirely since my old one just doesn't cut it for new releases anymore.

I do stay in tune with what is coming out though and E3 this year was extremely exciting so I do my best to stay on top of everything.

I have a PC which allows me to play every game currently on the market. But I don't try to play the latest video games if I don't like them. Seriously, I can't do something which I don't enjoy.

Edited by Keranov

I'm far behind. I've still got an Nintendo 2DS somewhere along with some other old consoles. Generally speaking, I'll wait 6-12 months before buying a new release as I want time to research the game, read reviews and allow the price to go down. I'm behind on the video games but not on my platform, I've just purchased a brand new Acer Gaming PC. 

Edited by xXInfectedXx