Register Now
Kane99

Has streaming killed movie theaters?

Streaming has become huge, especially our post covid world, where now a lot of the programming we watch, comes out on a streaming platform or via other digital means. These days I imagine less and less people are going to the movies. At least when it comes to most movies, maybe not for blockbuster/summer blockbuster hits that are mostly meant to be watched in theaters. Or movies with tons of CGI and animation. 

More people these days probably prefer the comfort that streaming offers over going to the theater. I still like going to the movies to see big movies, but most other movies, I don't feel the need to. I'm fine watching a lot of movies on a computer screen or my big screen tv instead. 

As well, more movies that release in theaters are releasing to digital and blu-ray sooner than usual. I believe before covid and the pandemic, it would take a month to a few months for a movie to come out of theaters and release digital or on disc. But now, some movies are coming out right away to digital platforms, sometimes alongside the theatrical release. 

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think streaming has hurt theaters? 

I think it has hurt theaters, and it has affected filmmaking too. Nowadays, filmmakers like Martin Scorsese has to adapt to the changing times and make a movie suitable for streaming instead of experiencing it on a big screen with the atmosphere a dark theater could provide.

I think streaming services have just spoiled us though (myself included), because we could easily watch almost any movie now as long as we subscribe to the correct streaming provider. This advance in technology means we're encouraged to take the more convenient route of watching movies and TV shows. And sometimes, some streaming services do feel like money well-spent. A movie ticket could cost me up to S$13 in Singapore during a weekend release, and I would only get a single movie, whereas paying S$14 on Netflix would get me dozens of movies and TV shows as well. So if you're middle class and maybe you don't earn that much on the side, streaming services are just a more tempting and valuable option, especially with how many films are released per year.

But I think it was inevitable though, with the advancement of digital platforms. Everything's just becoming more digital, and video games have been digital for a long time. Even Nintendo games can be played digitally through the eshop without a physical copy. It's only a matter of time before theaters get overtaken by these huge streaming corporations (especially with Jeff Bezos probably still having a hand in Amazon Prime's direction), even if there are some who still prefer the unique experience of watching a movie at the theater with crowds of people. It's only going to get worse for theaters down the line. We might not even have physical theaters anymore since the Metaverse has been released; virtual theaters might become a thing, however that works.

Plenty of people enjoy going to the theaters to watch movies, but it is becoming more niche. People still enjoy the experience of it, but I'm sure over time the younger generations won't have an attachment to going to a theater to experience a movie.

Though streaming hasn't fully killed things like physical media or even the Red Box rental service. Not everyone has access to high speed internet, or can even afford paying monthly for streaming services. I can go to places like Walmart and see lower income people sifting through the $5 DVD bin.

So I can see that over time it might happen, but that depends on the internet infrastructure for those in rural areas, or these services becoming affordable to those of lower income.

Nobody knows for sure, and obviously things are changing, but I doubt very much that streaming will replace theatrical entirely simply for the fact that there is too much money being let on the table. Studios aren't just going to give up on the billions of dollars that can still be made, which isn't really possible with streaming. People still want to go to the movies too. But for now I think we're in the middle of a streaming arms race. That will eventually settle into something more like a version of what cable was and people will once again be looking for social interaction and cultural experiences outside of the home.

Idk, Theathers are still a great part of the movie business , something that streaming will not be able to kill and that is the experience of actually going to the movies, of creating a memory and enjoying the night out, Im quoting Quentin tarantino on that, he said something like that on an interview once I cant remember which but I will try to find later to further explain my point

In many ways, it has.

But there's still something fun about going out to the movie theater and doing things the old-fashioned way.

I think even teens having the option to "Netflix and chill" 🙄😂 eventually realize how boring and monotonous it can become. Going to the show with a group of friends or even on a first date - there's just something classic about it. And classic never goes out of style.

😉

I'm going to be subjective with my own answer because it's how streaming have applied to me that I can be very certain of. So, to me yes, streaming have affected movie theaters so much because I hardly go there now. With the streaming apps, I don't have to leave the house to enjoy a lot of movies with my subscription. Also, the pandemic of coronavirus didn't help matters for theaters because it crippled the business completely!! 

On 9/15/2022 at 5:00 PM, melanie_marie27 said:

In many ways, it has.

But there's still something fun about going out to the movie theater and doing things the old-fashioned way.

I think even teens having the option to "Netflix and chill" 🙄😂 eventually realize how boring and monotonous it can become. Going to the show with a group of friends or even on a first date - there's just something classic about it. And classic never goes out of style.

😉

And sneaking food into a movie theatre - I had a friend who hid slices of a small pizza in her handbag and we got out some napkins and enjoyed it. Good times...

I can't say it has because a lot of people still go to the theaters to see a movie, though as it has always been the theaters always had competition from other forms of enjoying a movie like purchasing the movie CD's as we did back then when streaming weren't as popular and I think theaters are getting that same kind of competition from streaming Platforms.

'Killed' is an exaggeration. 

It certainly hasn't helped them - but, they still offer a unique experience that can't easily be replicated at home. Watching a film on a 4K screen the height of an entire room with Dolby Digital surround sound, and watching the same film on an (oftentimes laggy) laptop in a home full of distractions, are two completely different experiences IMO. To me, watching it at the cinema feels more like an event.

Admittedly, I don't go to them too often - but as long as I can afford to go every now and then, I have no plans to stop.

2 hours ago, Kyng said:

To me, watching it at the cinema feels more like an event.

And they made that event suck.

I don't think streaming is to blame for theaters doing poorly. Theaters took the bank manager's approach to doing poorly and raised prices. In many cases the properties had not been kept up, sometimes in years. They became complacent and then acted too slowly when streaming first hit. They took out seats and benches long before COVID, they shrank their arcades long before COVID. They were charging more for fewer lower quality concession items long before COVID. Basically, they were taking everything away that allowed you to have a sort of night at the movies because loitering teenagers had bad press. Of course, that takes away the things the adults wanted too. They also started opening fewer theaters and showing only the big blockbusters.

You would go to the movies, watch your two hour movie then immediately leave the theater. $18+ per ticket for that? Why, when the whole group can rent it for $4 on YouTube-- assuming you don't already have it at no additional on Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Peacock, Paramount+, Tubi, AmazonPrime Video, Squelch, TeeBeep or Smok (can you guess without googling which I made up?).

The only theaters I know that are still doing well are small live venues that show movies to supplement the live productions. They usually show classics or cult movies and pull out the stops to make it feel like an event. 

tl;dr they made it an expensive, filthy time lacking in choices and treated patrons with a watch your movie then leave attitude then acted surprised when people would rather order a pizza and watch something at home in barbeque-sauce-stained sweatpants.

I didn't know that streaming can be made available as soon as a movie releases. There are a lot of factors today that may be hurting the theatre such as streaming, days of Covid, culture war conspiracies like recently the AMC Theatres CEO had to respond to the far right QANON conspiracies thinking they are suppressing movies...LOL. Plus now that all sorts of books are banned and libraries shutting down, the next attack on freedom is the entertainment industry. Fascists definitely will attack it. They already have by banning affirmative action creating a ruckus in Hollywood. So expect movies to get banned, theaters getting boycotted, government forcing what theaters can and can't show or what movies can be made. Then they will try to force the whitewashing of the entertainment industry like the days of old saying they can't hire actors that are diverse. So that will impact movies and theaters when everything keeps getting divided straight black and white/ male vs female, gay vs straight, tall vs short, ideologies getting in the way. When hit new releases are coming out, one Friday night will be liberal night and the next Friday will be fascist night. That's America now. They are just getting started to attack Hollywood. That will be the main destroyer of theaters as there will be boycott after boycott, probably mass shootings and threats when there is a movie with black history or even Native American or Mexican history at the theatre or something that opposes nazis.

In that sense, streaming will take over as more and more people will fear for their lives and rather not get involved going to the theatre with a bunch of people protesting against a gay scene and threatening customers and vandalizing the venues. That's gonna start happening right around the corner before you know it. The American society will become hermits as gun wielders will intimidate everyone else and everybody now has the right to discriminate against customers due to the recent supreme court ruling, which will invite open hostility on American streets with everyone packing. Employees selling movie tickets will go to jail if they let an underage person in the theatre. Employees will refuse to service a gay customer some popcorn claiming they now have that right. 

In a normal society, I don't think streaming would greatly affect the theaters because going out on dates and with friends, the movies has always been the place to go. And who doesn't want to watch something on the big IMAX? It's just something that won't go away. But this society is not a normal society. Every fabric of our culture is going to be attacked and the movies is another obstacle, another authoritative desire from the fascists who want it to be completely controlled by the government along with your news, social media, and every business you shop at. It's here. Then they will go after what can be streamed and what you are allowed to watch in your own home.