Register Now
GeppyX

Disappointed in Last of US Part 1 Remake

I really enjoyed Last of Us 2. The graphics were great. I beat it twice. I also beat Last of Us Remastered on PS4 and I thought it was a great game. For some reason, I bought into the hype of the Remake. Sony tried really hard to convince us all that the experience would be totally different. 

I haven't played the whole game yet, but have put in maybe 45 minutes or so. I literally felt like I was playing the same exact game. I wasn't excited at all. I suppose certain parts have better color now. I was just perplexed at why I pre ordered this game and followed the hype. I think the Uncharted collection on PS5 looks better than this. More noticeable improvements. Heck, some PS4 games played on a PS5 will produce a more noticeable graphical improvement. Some people may feel differently, but I can't tell any difference. I'm sure there are some differences if you place them side by side, but it's not blowing me away.

This game didn't really need to come out. It's just a business move. We already have a Remaster for the PS4 and you can play it on the PS5, with improved visuals naturally. I remember the employee at Gamestop hyping this up for me. He said they were gonna redo the whole entire game and possibly even change the characters. Nothing changed at all. I'm literally playing the same exact game. I can't believe I got excited for this, thinking I was gonna be playing through a totally different experience.

I think there's a lot of criticism for this new release. Sony is doing a lot of silly things right now. 

I'm not going to stand on pedestal and declare that it looks better, but it doesn't look the same.

The colour palate and lighting in particular are so drastically different that it barely looks like the same game. Again, I'm not saying that it looks better nor worse, I still haven't made my mind up about that, but the vision for this remake is clear. It's trying to look more like the sequel with a duller, but more detailed approach to the graphics and people are well within thier rights to love or hate that. I did extensive reviews on both The Last of Us and The Last of Us: Part II, so I can say with confidence that I know these games better than most and would describe this remake as justified, but unnecessary. It's a masterpiece both with or without these changes, so I'm not mad about them, I just feel like I don't need them either.

I remember back when The Last Us Remastered first came out for PS4 there were a lot of the same arguments.  I actually defended that re-release back then because it made the game accessible to a lot of people who were previously on the Xbox 360 and didn't want to waste their money on a PS3 when the PS4 was coming out in less than a year, and I still stand by that.  Now however, I think it's fairly safe to say that player-base gap on consoles has been filled and this PS5 version isn't needed, especially at the price their asking.  The only justification for this that I can see is the PC release which is "coming sometime in the future".  That's a platform where the player base have actually been wanting it and it would be cool to have the potential for mods and stuff.  On PC I would consider it but evenm if I had a PS5 I would still just stick to the remastered version I already have.

Releases like this don't deserve this much hype. It just feels like they're only about making money now. I just feel these companies need to be called out. When Xbox One had the Kinect, it got called out and they adjusted. Releases like the Last of Part 1 should just come out under the radar and go for about 40 bucks.

Edited by GeppyX

A number of people who purchased the $100 "Firefly Edition" of The Last of Us Part I are receiving thier games damaged and Sony are refusing to refund or replace them. What the hell is going with Sony right now? Are they just determined to piss thier fans off?

Edited by Shagger

The new visuals are fantastic! Sure, the Remastered version already looked great, but the jump in visual quality with Part One is astounding. I almost get lost in the world. The sequence in the hotel basement with the stalkers that I played last night was amazing! I really take my time to and look at everything closely to really appreciate the world that was created here with so much attention given to the smallest details. I wonder if my dream will come true one day: Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 getting remade with the same graphical quality as Uncharted 4. I would buy that in a heartbeat!

I really think the problem is that they tried to make the environments look more realistic, more rundown. And same with the inside of buildings. I noticed in one of the comparison videos, that the color seems to be gone from many areas, and now it all just looks like the same dark and drab hallways. The character models look impressive, same with the animations, I'll give them that, but the rest just makes it look more dingy and dirty with less color. Even the realistic lighting looks kind off to me. But, that's the beauty in having the PS4 remaster, you can skip this one if you want. Hell, I still believe the original PS3 version looks good. 

Alright, so I'm about halfway done with the game. I do admit that it looks better than the last version. Some of the skies looked pretty beautiful. Yes, it does look a little grainier than the last version, so they could have made it more vibrant. The good thing is I'm really into the game and I haven't beat it in a long time, so I actually forgot about most of the scenes and characters like Bill and Henry. It feels like a new game, but I don't know if it's the graphics or just the fact that I forgot most of it. 

I still like the graphics for Last of Us 2 better. But my issue is not that they came out with another release, but that they called it a remake. If they would have just called it another remaster and not hyped it up, that would have been more honest. But I guess I'm playing it, so they got me hooked again. I don't think it looks like a remake though.

Edited by GeppyX

1 hour ago, GeppyX said:

Alright, so I'm about halfway done with the game. I do admit that it looks better than the last version. Some of the skies looked pretty beautiful. Yes, it does look a little grainier than the last version, so they could have made it more vibrant. The good thing is I'm really into the game and I haven't beat it in a long time, so I actually forgot about most of the scenes and characters like Bill and Henry. It feels like a new game, but I don't know if it's the graphics or just the fact that I forgot most of it. 

I still like the graphics for Last of Us 2 better. But my issue is not that they came out with another release, but that they called it a remake. If they would have just called it another remaster and not hyped it up, that would have been more honest. But I guess I'm playing it, so they got me hooked again. I don't think it looks like a remake though.

Sometimes you run into a debate of semantics where they're technically correct. They did remake the game using the sequel's engine as opposed to what they did for the PS4 remaster, where it was just upscaled and ported.

Though at that point it falls into personal interpretation when it comes to vague terms. It's like people having different interpretations of being "late to work". Most people won't debate over whether 30 mins is considered late, but people will argue whether you should let people slide by with 5-10 mins late. Or if that guy is considered an asshole by saying 1 minute late despite being technically correct.

2 hours ago, GeppyX said:

I think it's because our brain stops focussing so much on the graphics and pays attention to the game itself and its story. I find that I will enjoy the good looking graphics of a game for a bit, and then I just get invested into that game and kinda forget the graphics and it melds together perfectly. Idk, I think we just get used to the graphics as we play. These days graphics don't impress me anymore, because I feel like I've seen good enough. I know graphics will get better, but I feel we're close to that peak already. RDR2 to me still looks stunning, but I don't focus much on the graphics as I play. Unless I'm taking a relaxing ride on my horse and take in the sights. But otherwise my focus is on hunting, collecting cigarette cards, and slowing doing the missions. 

I believe it's more a hybrid remake/remaster. They remastered some of the scenes in game and changed some other things around. I believe they retooled the gameplay a bit, probably to be more in line with TLOU2. The character models were made to be more realistic as well. So yeah It's more a remaster than a remake, because I don't think most of what they changed qualifies as a remake. 

If we are being honest about the remake for Last of Us 1, we can agree that the remake was unnecessary. Apart from the improved visuals, there is nothing that looks different about the remake. I think Sony are just trying to make more money from gamers by remaking most of these classical games.

I just got done playing the ps4 remastered as a second play through about a month ago so it's still fresh in my mind, and it looked so amazing from the ps3 version. Unless the remake has a different story, watching the above video looks more like a remaster of the remaster version. I guess every generation will have a remaster TLOU. I don't mind at all, but if you are this proud of the series (with all the right to be) then think about TLOU Part 3. 

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I just got done playing the ps4 remastered as a second play through about a month ago so it's still fresh in my mind, and it looked so amazing from the ps3 version. Unless the remake has a different story, watching the above video looks more like a remaster of the remaster version. I guess every generation will have a remaster TLOU. I don't mind at all, but if you are this proud of the series (with all the right to be) then think about TLOU Part 3. 

It's essentially the same game with improved graphics, animations, and some gameplay mechanics, but I think that's about it. You're probably not missing out on anything compared to the first game and the first remaster. It's just a better looking version of a game we already got. 

Yeah I think a lot of people are eagerly awaiting a 3rd entry. The remasters are nice and all, but I think it's time to focus on making 3 instead of making more versions of the original game. 

And just because a new console drops, doesn't mean we need to be getting re-releases of the same game with some improvements. Put that time and money on future installments or whole new IPs.