Register Now
Kane99

Which is better - Nintendo Switch or the Steam Deck?

Which is better - Nintendo Switch or the Steam Deck?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better - Nintendo Switch or the Steam Deck? Or other?

• Nintendo Switch
    • Steam Deck (Valve)
    • Other Handheld Option

Which out of these two, do you think is the better of the two? As in the better in terms of what they offer and what they're capable of. I personally can't judge because I haven't had enough time with a Switch and I have yet to use a steam deck. I would assume the Steam Deck is a better device based on hardware and the library of games. But the Switch probably has a more accessible audience. Or is more accessible to the audience. 

If I had to vote, I would probably go for the Steam Deck, but I haven't used it. I did use a switch a few times and from what I played I liked. But I can't judge which is better until I get my hands on a steam deck. 

But, what are your opinions on this? I know it's hard to compare these two, there's different in many ways. 

Nobody trying to decide between these two should be looking at them as handheld vs handheld, this is a games console vs a PC. If you want the gameplay experiences that only Nintendo can provide, it's a no brainer, buy the Switch. It you want to play a wider variety of games on the move, the Steam Deck should appeal more if you aren't as interested in Nintendo's exclusive franchises.

I heard the Steam Deck can support games with next-gen graphics with far superior performance than the Switch, so Steam Deck automatically wins for this one because I heard Doom (2016) had performance issues on the Switch. Nintendo might have caught up with next-gen graphics, but they're still far behind when it comes to supporting said graphics on their console.

I do own the Switch and not the Steam Deck though because I was never really a handheld gamer, playing all of my PC games on my desktop and playing my Switch games in Docked Mode.

I think those are aimed at two different audiences. One is more mainstream, the other for the more hardcore PC gaming crowd. The Switch probably won't be affected much by this but I can see the Steam Deck gaining its own success, especially once emulators work well enough on in.

I can see the Steam Deck becoming a really good and versatile "retro game console" no matter how it succeeds with modern PC games.

It's kind of an Apples to Oranges comparison - I mean besides both being handhelds, they're both vastly different. The Switch is a dedicated gaming handheld while the Switch is more of a handheld computer that can do infinitely more than just play games despite being marketed as such.

I don't think it's really fair to compare the two devices. One is basically a portable computer, that is capable of much more than the Switch. Plus the Steam Deck isn't even a year old yet and the Switch is seven years old so the tech is different.

Agree with others that it's hard to compare the two devices, when they are aimed at different audiences. I will say though, that on Steam, isn't there a Nintendo emulator (obviously not for Switch yet)?

On 4/7/2023 at 1:02 PM, Syntax said:

Agree with others that it's hard to compare the two devices, when they are aimed at different audiences. I will say though, that on Steam, isn't there a Nintendo emulator (obviously not for Switch yet)?

I disagree - you can easily get a Nintendo emulator on a Steam Deck via Retroarch. You can play everything from Gamecube up to a couple of Wii games.

On 9/4/2022 at 6:52 PM, Grungie said:

The issue with the Steam Deck is that not every game in the Steam library is compatible with it

This too is my primary issue with the Steam Deck. I think I read that most, if not all, Call of Duty games are not compatible with Steam Deck and that was always the primary game I played on my gaming PC. Don't get me wrong, I think the Steam Deck is still a terrific device and it still has a very wide-range of games available to play on it. I would actually probably prefer a Steam Deck over a Nintendo Switch since I have a library full of games on Steam that need to be played and it's kind of hard to play them with a broken gaming laptop.

Due to what is offered on the Steam deck compared to what I can play on the Nintendo Switch and out of the two which one has the games that would interest me more, I would have to go with the Nintendo Switch.

I love the idea of the Steam deck but to be honest, I feel they rushed it's release and with everything available in the steam library not being available on the steam deck, that is something that also puts me off. 

On 8/23/2023 at 8:33 AM, The Blackangel said:

Steam offers a lot of games that we'll never see on Nintendo like Hatred and party games like Jackbox Games. But Nintendo has a lot of exclusives as well. So it really depends on where your interests lie. As for me personally, I tend to prefer my Switch.

I currently have both and depending on my mood, it's either one or the other. They're both fantastic handheld devices.