Register Now
StaceyPowers

Seizure/visual problems with gunfire in shooters

I don't have any issues with gunfire in games. I know photosensitive games can be hard for people to play if they are prone to seizures and other visual problems. I can do flashing lights fine, but I would like not to, because I don't think anyone likes flashing lights in most things. 

There are some games that do have features for visually impaired people. I think the Last of us 2 was one of the major ones to feature a slew of visual settings to make it easier for people to play. I imagine they have something for people with photosensitivity problems that cause seizures. 

Nope, I haven't had that experience and I'm not looking forward to it either. I know very well that there are a lot of people who are handicapped when it comes to playing games. It's why I'm kinda interested in the vocal control they are planning or already developing now. 

I can't say myself I have had an issue with the gun fire visuals in a game myself but I can fully see why some people would have this issue and it's a shame that developers do not give an option for these kinds of visuals to be turned off so that people who are affected and may end up having seizures can still have the option to play the game and not miss out because it may affect them by playing. I can understand developers wanting the game to be as realistic as possible and that is understandable but taking into consideration the possibility of their player base possibly having seizures would be a wise decision on their part.

Being able to switch off those effects is a good idea, but it still doesn't promise that some other part of the game with lights won't trigger a seizure, so basically it would be pointless. They would have to run through every little thing in the game to make sure lights don't trigger a seizure. How is that even possible? And you can't ever make a promise like that because if someone plays the game and gets a seizure then they can sue. 

On 2/6/2023 at 3:54 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Being able to switch off those effects is a good idea, but it still doesn't promise that some other part of the game with lights won't trigger a seizure, so basically it would be pointless. They would have to run through every little thing in the game to make sure lights don't trigger a seizure. How is that even possible? And you can't ever make a promise like that because if someone plays the game and gets a seizure then they can sue. 

More games are allowing for certain settings to be turned off or down, especially accessibility features. So maybe they will add more options for those dealing with such things as seizures. Back in the day all games did was warn you that it could cause issues for those dealing with such conditions. But maybe now we can simply turn those settings off, or certain lighting affects. 

The warnings for triggering epilepsy seizures is so small that it's hardly noticeable in most modern games. Most games do have certain settings to at least mitigate this somewhat but your friends would probably have to find it themselves on some YouTube video or in some forum as most companies don't include something like that in their FAQ.

25 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

The warnings for triggering epilepsy seizures is so small that it's hardly noticeable in most modern games. Most games do have certain settings to at least mitigate this somewhat but your friends would probably have to find it themselves on some YouTube video or in some forum as most companies don't include something like that in their FAQ.

Hmm, I'll have to start keeping an eye out for that warning. I don't usually bother to see if it's in most games, but I'm sure they pop up a warning that's visible somewhere. 

Or do you mean the warning is usually too small? Like fine print small?

29 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Hmm, I'll have to start keeping an eye out for that warning. I don't usually bother to see if it's in most games, but I'm sure they pop up a warning that's visible somewhere. 

Or do you mean the warning is usually too small? Like fine print small?

I meant it is so small on the screen that most times, if you're not actively looking for it, you wouldn't realize it's there. One or two do have a screen with the warning up for a couple of seconds some time after booting up the game.

22 hours ago, Kane99 said:

More games are allowing for certain settings to be turned off or down, especially accessibility features. So maybe they will add more options for those dealing with such things as seizures. Back in the day all games did was warn you that it could cause issues for those dealing with such conditions. But maybe now we can simply turn those settings off, or certain lighting affects. 

Games are also known to have bug issues in them so even turning a setting off will never 100% guarantee anything. What if some kind of glitch happens where it triggers some lighting affect. Or it could be something simple as a sword glistening in the sun light, or even water. I have no idea what kind of lighting triggers a seizure, but there are so many variables. Maybe experts can weigh in on exactly what triggers seizures. I doubt any would leave their reputation on the line and say gaming is 100% safe even if those mechanisms are switched off. 

31 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Games are also known to have bug issues in them so even turning a setting off will never 100% guarantee anything. What if some kind of glitch happens where it triggers some lighting affect. Or it could be something simple as a sword glistening in the sun light, or even water. I have no idea what kind of lighting triggers a seizure, but there are so many variables. Maybe experts can weigh in on exactly what triggers seizures. I doubt any would leave their reputation on the line and say gaming is 100% safe even if those mechanisms are switched off. 

That's why games have the disclaimer in them. No matter how small it is on the screen, they do usually have one but it's like the fine-print kind of warning. It prevents them from being sued successfully in most cases.

On 2/8/2023 at 8:46 PM, killamch89 said:

That's why games have the disclaimer in them. No matter how small it is on the screen, they do usually have one but it's like the fine-print kind of warning. It prevents them from being sued successfully in most cases.

This is true and a lot of game developers tend to add it but make it so small or in a place it can't always be easily found and not every gamer tends to see it. Of course, due to it being there in the game that covers them but I do feel more should be done to ensure that developers do end up facing some kind of penalization if someone ends up having some kind of seizure from the game and the warning was too small or not in a place that could be easily seen. 

For some people, viewing gunfire visuals in shooter games can cause visual discomfort or even seizures. The fast, bright flashes of light and rapid action in these games have the potential to trigger photosensitive epilepsy or other visual problems in individuals who are susceptible. It is important to be aware of these risks and take necessary precautions if you or someone you know is affected. Consulting a medical professional for personalized advice and adjusting game settings to reduce brightness or disable certain visual effects may also be helpful.