Register Now
StaceyPowers

What video game(s) have helped you most through rough times in your life?

What video game(s) have helped you most through rough times in your life? I think for me it is BioShock. I was badly injured a few years ago and in bad pain most of the time for many months. I stared playing BioShock after it happened, and it persuaded me that good things could still happen in my life and it had not been 100% bad since the injury (feeling much better now).

Honestly RDR1 and 2 for me. From the story, the characters, the gameplay, the DLC for RDR1 with the Undead Nightmare, the music and more. These games will forever be a part of my life because I have enjoyed them so much. Same with probably GTA VC and SA, maybe even GTA IV and V to some extent. 

Super Mario Bros 3 because it has brought family together for me. And it also reminds me of my childhood when I play it. 

Depends on what you are feeeling, CSGO is the game to get all my angry and stress out by killing evertthing that goes to poop. The Grand Theft Auto and God of War series let me vent my frustrations with the world in a healthy manner that didn't harm anyone else. If I couldn't act like an insane person in these games, who knows what my anger could have led to in real life.

Videogames have always helped me trough some of my most rough times in my life so far eventough i don't really like to talk about it that much 

When i was playing trough the first State of decay my grandfather was very ill and died a week later after i started playing it so that will always be a game that i consider synonyms with the death of my grandfather. While i enjoyed the game thoroughly i never got around playing the second game maybe that is the reason because i'm scared to.

My best friend died of leukemia when we were both 19 years old, adult life was just about to begin so i'd say pretty much any original xbox game we played together during our teenage years helps me get trough hard times, i still have his old xbox with all his saves files and every once in a while i race against his old ghost files in games like rallysport challenge and project gotham or boot up a game and try to beat his scores in tony hawk or continue where he left off in offcourse without saving, i know it doesn't mean much but it keeps my memory of him alive, he gave me one of his most priced possessions a week before he died eventough i find it ugly as fuck it still has a prominent place in my house i'm sure i posted a picture of it before in a thread somewhere. The good thing is that i'm still friend with his parents and i ended up dating his younger sister for 2 years but it just felt awkward because we came together trough sadness, we left on good terms tough, since i'm godfather of her son. 

Man i would like to mention a few more games but damn i'm getting tears in my eyes so i'll have to end here.

Edited by Yaramaki

Reading @Yaramaki's post, I felt emotional, such kind of life experience is totally down pouring, which can roll down the tears. 

My own experience wasn't like he's, my best friends I played together are still alive, but I don't play together with them because I travelled far from them. I enjoyed racing games so much, due to my eagerness to become an expert rider. I suffered hell of injuries trying to drive so expertly, until I started playing Motorcycle GP, my overall driving performance improved. 

On 9/7/2022 at 3:47 PM, Yaramaki said:

Videogames have always helped me trough some of my most rough times in my life so far eventough i don't really like to talk about it that much 

When i was playing trough the first State of decay my grandfather was very ill and died a week later after i started playing it so that will always be a game that i consider synonyms with the death of my grandfather. While i enjoyed the game thoroughly i never got around playing the second game maybe that is the reason because i'm scared to.

My best friend died of leukemia when we were both 19 years old, adult life was just about to begin so i'd say pretty much any original xbox game we played together during our teenage years helps me get trough hard times, i still have his old xbox with all his saves files and every once in a while i race against his old ghost files in games like rallysport challenge and project gotham or boot up a game and try to beat his scores in tony hawk or continue where he left off in offcourse without saving, i know it doesn't mean much but it keeps my memory of him alive, he gave me one of his most priced possessions a week before he died eventough i find it ugly as fuck it still has a prominent place in my house i'm sure i posted a picture of it before in a thread somewhere. The good thing is that i'm still friend with his parents and i ended up dating his younger sister for 2 years but it just felt awkward because we came together trough sadness, we left on good terms tough, since i'm godfather of her son. 

Man i would like to mention a few more games but damn i'm getting tears in my eyes so i'll have to end here.

I'm sorry to hear that about your grandfather and friend. Video games can be a great tool to help with depression. And it can be a good way to reminisce about the past, gaming with friends, family and more. I find comfort in gaming most of the time, because it takes me away from the hurt. 

Video games are cool like that ya know. It's especially nice if those video games help you connect with more people as well. 

Well for me, just about any video game that helps me to let out my frustration and from my experience with shooting games, they worked so well. Games like Call of Duty, Far Cry, Battlefield when it was worthy of being played and a few fighting games. 

There are a couple of others i feel like whenever you are down they always bring a smile on your face and that is for me animal crossing, i was introduced to the gamecube game by one of my friends at the time who lived around the corner probably late 2004, i knew he got bullied at school a lot and that game helped him dealing with it all, offcourse i did not think of it as much as it looked kiddy and at first sight stupid but i was curious about it why he liked it so much, the other game he introduced me to was Harvest moon which peaked my interest immidiatly and you know another go to game whenever you feel sad or lonely it makes you feel better in no time. A few months later i bought my own gamecube and discovered the magic of animal crossing and you know he was right animal crossing get's you trough times when life is tough, there is always something to do to keep your mind of and you know the game shines trough and trough with it's hapiness as you can't have a warm fuzzy feeling inside. I know there are more superior versions of animal crossing avaible now but the gamecube version will always have a special place in my heart. 

I think shenmue is another one i can possible relate to as helping me get trough tough times, even if there is more teen drama involved then anything as in the girl that i had a crush on despite teasing me for a few weeks, i finally gathered my courage to explain my feelings to her and she outright rejected me stating it was just a flirt to her, not only that but she felt the need humilite me in front of my school friends after that i felt heartbroken and embarrassed. I was playing trough the first shenmue at the time and you know it was an escape to another world that felt different yet so simulair due to it's realism. It made me fall in love without anything japanese and the protagonist Ryo, also helped me build back my confidence because he too was the underdog.

Edited by Yaramaki

On 9/7/2022 at 12:11 PM, Empire said:

Depends on what you are feeeling, CSGO is the game to get all my angry and stress out by killing evertthing that goes to poop. The Grand Theft Auto and God of War series let me vent my frustrations with the world in a healthy manner that didn't harm anyone else. If I couldn't act like an insane person in these games, who knows what my anger could have led to in real life.

This works for me very well. I actually put it into consideration whenever I'm buying games. There will always be something about the game that's going to allow me the possibility of pouring out my frustration in on the game. Killing is definitely a good of doing just that. 

For me it would definitely have to be Destiny 1. I remember that being released around the time I had my operation to have my gallbladder removed and having access to that game helped pass the time I had to spend in bed resting up after the operation. If it wasn't for Destiny 1 I would probably have struggled with my recovery after my operation, that game really did suck me it and it was so addictive. I now spend a lot of time on Destiny 2 as well. 

16 hours ago, Shortie said:

For me it would definitely have to be Destiny 1. I remember that being released around the time I had my operation to have my gallbladder removed and having access to that game helped pass the time I had to spend in bed resting up after the operation. If it wasn't for Destiny 1 I would probably have struggled with my recovery after my operation, that game really did suck me it and it was so addictive. I now spend a lot of time on Destiny 2 as well. 

I haven't played any of the games from the Destiny series but it is heart warming to learn that the game was an help to you in those difficult times.