Register Now
NightmareFarm

Top 5 favourite gaming rivalries?

On 9/9/2022 at 6:58 AM, Heatman said:

I would choose one of the best in Final Fantasy Series between Cloud Strife and Sephiroth. The fued between them both and their battles was impressive by all standards. 

This, you don't realize how deep it is until you start playing other games showing it.

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

You took all the good ones:

1. Vergil and Dante was my first mention - I mean these two are iconic and seeing them go head to head in DMC 3 was such an epic fight. DMC 5 had an awesome fight as well especially when they both went full powered devil trigger. Too bad Nero had to interfere...
  2. Squall and Seifer from FFVIII (my favorite Final Fantasy game) - Seifer was always jealous of Squall and that's because even though he was an introvert, many people looked up to Squall and respected him.
  3. Solid And Liquid Snake's rivalry spans multiple games with Liquid taking over Ocelot's body or that's what we thought until the twist at the end of MGS 4 when it was revealed that he used nanomachines to transplant Liquid's personality into his body to avoid the Patriots.

I was dissapointed when Nero stopped their clash. Would have been epic if they clashed at full power then in their weakened state post-clash they kept on going with little energy left like Naruto and Sasuke in their fight at the end of shippuden. 

I haven't really played enough games that I could think of decent rivalries I was a fan of, but I do enjoy these:

1. Scorpion and Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat). I grew up on the '90s Mortal Kombat film and didn't really get to experience the MK games, but if I'm forced to choose a rivalry I remotely like, this is the closest one I could think of that stands out. I've seen Mortal Kombat: Legacy, and I really enjoyed the backstory behind these two's rivalry, how the tragic misunderstanding led to this eternal blood feud.

2. Master Chief and The Arbiter (Halo). Grew up on the Halo trilogy on the XBox. It was a pretty entertaining rivalry where two individuals from two species trying to kill each other became a buddy-cop kind of duo. The backstory behind the Arbiter and how that led him to team up with the MC just goes to show how rich the Halo universe can be. I kinda hope he would show up again in the later games, not that I would know since I haven't played them.

3. Kasumi and Ayane (Dead or Alive 3). DoA3 was one of my first games when I bought the XBox, specifically because I got to play it all day (while playing hooky) when it's on display at a major bookstore in Singapore. This was the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat of my generation, so I got to know the characters' backstories pretty well, and Kasumi and Ayane's blood feud just felt so interesting, how Ayane for bound by code to kill Kasumi because the latter's a runaway shinobi. It was the first time I got to know about ninjas and their code, so it was a fascinating experience for me.

4. Red and Blue (Pokémon Red and Blue). This one isn't really appealing for me because of the rivalry and more so because of the ability to show how much Blue sucks when he loses against you at the end and got called a terrible trainer by Professor Oak. Smell ya later indeed, Blue-sor. lol The rivalry portrayed in Pokémon: Origins though doesn't appeal to me as much because I found Red to be insufferable and hypocritical. I just never really liked Red over Ash because at least Ash loved his Pokémon; Red came off like a typical Pokémon gamer who treats his Pokémon like tools (which gamers are justified in doing so, but it's hypocritical for Red to call out Blue on this when he's no better).

That's all I've got. lol

On 10/1/2022 at 10:05 AM, Akun said:

Scorpion and Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat). I grew up on the '90s Mortal Kombat film and didn't really get to experience the MK games, but if I'm forced to choose a rivalry I remotely like, this is the closest one I could think of that stands out. I've seen Mortal Kombat: Legacy, and I really enjoyed the backstory behind these two's rivalry, how the tragic misunderstanding led to this eternal blood feud.

Finally someone mentions this two I was already planning on mentioning but then I came across your comments.

Even in the movie they were strong rivalries.