Register Now
Kane99

Best crime video games that aren’t GTA

Source - https://gamefreaks365.com/best-crime-video-games-that-arent-gta/ full list here. 

What are some of the best crime based video games that aren't GTA? The list above lists the likes of Red Dead Redemption 2, Scarface, Sleeping Dogs and more. I really enjoyed a lot of the franchises mentioned, especially Mafia, Sleeping Dogs, RDR2, and so on. 

The list includes other games, so check it out and make your own judgements. Are there any other crime based games you would include? For me I think I'd also include L.A. Noire, even though it's a tad bit different, I can see it counting. Just from the other side as you play a cop.

Name off some others that you can think of. Saints Row is surprisingly not listed. 

I'm going to assume that were talking about games where crime is the main theme rather than a game where you can do a crime because we'd be here forever naming games otherwise. The Thief games back in the day were pretty cool, but may not have aged well. There were really more stealth games anyway, but they're worth a mention. also, would games like Assassin's Creed and Hitman qualify in the conversation? I mean, you do murder people as the main theme, and that is very much a crime.

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

I'm going to assume that were talking about games where crime is the main theme rather than a game where you can do a crime because we'd be here forever naming games otherwise. The Thief games back in the day were pretty cool, but may not have aged well. There were really more stealth games anyway, but they're worth a mention. also, would games like Assassin's Creed and Hitman qualify in the conversation? I mean, you do murder people as the main theme, and that is very much a crime.

Yeah pretty much, I think anything relating to crime should count. So L.A. Noire like I said earlier would probably fit. Same with the Streets of LA games, The Godfather game, etc. 

And yeah, I think I'd count Assassin's Creed and Hitman. They listed Syndicate on the list, so yeah I don't see why not. Hitman you are committing the crime, and often taking out criminals. I played a bit of the newer Thief game that came out on 360/Xbox One I think it was. I never played the original Thief games though. 

So we could probably go for days listing off crime themed games. 😄 

1 hour ago, Techno said:

Their Simulator was quite a bit o' fun. Its by no means a masterpiece but was fairly fun for its simplicity.

Can't say I've ever played it, but I did see some lets plays of it on YouTube years back. Looked kinda fun. 

Sleeping Dogs really captured me, and I had more fun with that than any other ‘realistic’ open world game of the sort. Sadly I did about all I could do, so there’s not much left, but even still I enjoyed just hanging out in the game world on occasion.

16 hours ago, Shagger said:

I'm going to assume that were talking about games where crime is the main theme rather than a game where you can do a crime because we'd be here forever naming games otherwise.

Pretty much, because murder is a crime, and to name the list of games where murder is a central theme... phew.

Off the top of my head though, there's the controversial Rockstar game, Manhunt, which is literally about a serial killer killing other killers. Then there's those Postal games, but they range from murder to juvenile delinquency. Then there's Batman and Spider-Man games which are about superheroes taking down criminals, especially those Arkham games where the main characters are superpowered criminals. And let's not forget, games where you could play supervillains like the Evil Genius games. Those are technically crime-focused games as well... just a more exaggerated and unrealistic form of crime.

10 hours ago, Empire said:

Sleeping Dogs really captured me, and I had more fun with that than any other ‘realistic’ open world game of the sort. Sadly I did about all I could do, so there’s not much left, but even still I enjoyed just hanging out in the game world on occasion.

It's such a good game with fun gameplay. Did you know it's a spiritual successor to the Streets of LA and NY games. They were going to make this game into the next Streets of LA game, but I think there was some issue with the copyright and they had to rename it to Sleeping Dogs. Which reminds me, I really need to replay this game again soon. It's so good. 

23 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

RDR2 is definitely one of the best. Living life as an outlaw, robbing, stealing, killing, and loansharking just to name a few things. A lot of it gets you into hot water, but that's the point.

The only reason most of us didn't bring up RDR2 is because it's basically GTA of the Wild West and it's also developed by Rockstar. That being said, it's definitely an awesome suggestion.

On 9/12/2022 at 3:11 AM, Techno said:

Their Simulator was quite a bit o' fun. Its by no means a masterpiece but was fairly fun for its simplicity.

The Mafia is a better game than the simulator of some of the other games when we talk about games that has more crime scenes. More like what we can talk about the sleeping dogs too. 

6 hours ago, Ajibusu said:

The Mafia is a better game than the simulator of some of the other games when we talk about games that has more crime scenes. More like what we can talk about the sleeping dogs too. 

Mafia is great. I played the original game on the PS2. Sadly the PS2 version wasn't as good as the PC version. Which Steam recently had available for free. I picked it up. 🙂 

Anyway, Mafia II was pretty decent. I still have yet to play Mafia III though. 

On 9/15/2022 at 12:22 AM, Kane99 said:

Mafia is great. I played the original game on the PS2. Sadly the PS2 version wasn't as good as the PC version. Which Steam recently had available for free. I picked it up. 🙂 

I agree with you on that. There are decent gameplay on most of the Mafia series that any gamer that likes the crime scene will definitely want to play on it as well.

On 9/14/2022 at 6:22 PM, Kane99 said:

Mafia 3 has its kinks but it is actually a decent game - at least in my opinion. Not as good as the original Mafia game but above average.