Register Now
NightmareFarm

What concepts do you want implemented in a future video game?

I think there should be a JRPG where there is a recurring merchant(like Oaka from Final Fantasy X) who is quite mysterious. At the end of the game, the merchant turns out to be the secret final boss and how powerful he is depends on how much currency you supplied him with throughout the game. Also some of his abilities and equipment depend on what stuff you sell to him. 

I'm always advocating for multiple paths in a game's storyline. I know it's hard to do, so I don't really have high hopes for such a feature to be more prevalent. But on the other hand, you get a JRPG like Shin Megami Tensei where some of their endgame content does contain multiple paths depending on whom you side with (SMT IV comes to mind). I believe Fire Emblem games also contain different paths based on whom you side with. I feel like this is mostly a JRPG thing though, because whenever a western RPG does it, they'd often resort to the lazy "slideshow" method like Fallout: New Vegas or Mass Effect 3, instead of creating three distinctly different gameplay levels based on player choices.

Now, obviously, games like Detroit: Become Human and The Dark Picture anthology could do it easily because they lack gameplay features outside of QTE, so it's easy to make them. But I would propose for game developers to be more daring and innovative, creating full game levels with multiple paths. You see this in older RPGs too like Dragon Age: Origins, so I don't know more AAA games these days don't have such features anymore. I heard The Witcher 3 had multiple paths, but I'm not really a fan of medieval fantasy settings, which is why when CD Projekt Red announced Cyberpunk: 2077, I thought we were going to get Witcher 3 with a sci-fi cyberpunk setting, with all the multiple paths Witcher 3 had to offer. Alas, that was not so, with the way the life paths were described by people who've played them.

Another cool concept I've really liked in the past is Undertale with the players' act of pacifism being a core important part of the story, and even though I had my problems with the message, Spec Ops: The Line had a nice concept like that as well, so I wouldn't mind seeing more games in the future turn the game genre on itself, like the Goombas in a Mario game calling out Mario for stomping on them all the time or something, or a Pokémon game where the questionable ethics of dog-fighting comes into question. Just spice things up a little and do a little subversion to make the familiar formula fresher, more interesting.

BioShock had a good idea in terms of farming the Little Sisters for ADAM, but they made it too easy morally to choose not to farm them. And I'm not talking about how challenging the gameplay is, but rather, making the decision more morally grey. I'm not exactly sure how to do it, especially in the obviously morally questionable objectivism of BioShock context, but a game where the innocence of a malicious ghost child comes into question would be interesting as well in horror games. Imagine having to play through Silent Hill 2 without killing any monsters, for example. 

Speaking of horror games, here's a concept for you: a protagonist whose appearance becomes more grotesque depending on your moral actions, but the other characters actually call out on this. In most games that have such a feature, I feel like the NPCs don't usually call out on the protagonist's appearance, such as Mass Effect or even Fable.

How about a horror protagonist with some kind of disease that gradually makes them become as deformed as the monsters they fight? Maybe the deformed lump of flesh becomes a burden even that movement becomes harder by the end of the game, and maybe depending on your choices, you could either become one of the monsters or fight against the disease with all your might.

I don't know. I'm just spitballing here. 😛 Hope it helps. lol

On 9/13/2022 at 5:13 PM, killamch89 said:

Hmmm. I want previous choices from early games in a series to continue in the sequel and not just stick to the default storyline and ignore your choice when the sequel is released. In other words, our choices should shape how the story unfolds in the sequel/s.

I completely agree with you on this one. What makes this very good is that it's going to give each gamer a different and unique story to play through and not make it the same thing for all gamers. That's why too boring!! 

59 minutes ago, Heatman said:

I completely agree with you on this one. What makes this very good is that it's going to give each gamer a different and unique story to play through and not make it the same thing for all gamers. That's why too boring!! 

It also means creating multiple games for different choices. No game studio would ever greenlight that, unfortunately, because that costs unreasonable amount of time and budget. You might get lucky to get a really dedicated studio that devotes 10-20 years of its time creating multiple games for the choices of ONE single game, but I haven't seen such a game yet.

4 minutes ago, Akun said:

It also means creating multiple games for different choices. No game studio would ever greenlight that, unfortunately, because that costs unreasonable amount of time and budget. You might get lucky to get a really dedicated studio that devotes 10-20 years of its time creating multiple games for the choices of ONE single game, but I haven't seen such a game yet.

Yeah, I have evaluated it very well and found out that it's going to pull a lot of resources to have a game developed that way. It's never going to be a game that can be rushed in any way, otherwise it's not going to work. Maybe in the future, we'll see such games become popular. 

I feel like jrpg's could use more Life simulation elements like i don't know something ala Fable where you can befriend and marry npc's. In most rpg's and adventure games you get a house at some point but other then decorating or sleeping there is not a whole lot to it, why not give us the option to have a garden to grow some vegetables or raise some animals and you know have a wife/husband waiting for you when you get home and so on, being able to have kids who actually grow up and when they are big enough take them on adventures with you. It probably be another thing where character start aging at a certain point and could possibly die of old age. Why not have a complete village that you can renovate over time and use as hideout for you and your companions you know something to call home, with said village growing over time, i always tought this was one of the best aspect of Ni no kuni 2 was requiting the people for your kingdom and expanding said kingdom over time. 

More freedom as in throw the player into a world and let them figure and discover stuff out in the order the player wants to discover them. This was the strength of breath of the wild after a tutorial of a couple of hours, you get thrown into a world and you know go do your thing and figure out stuff on your own in any order you want. Make enemies levels and areas adapt according to what level the player is instead this area is recommend for level 25 and you're only level 10 orso so turn around and go do that area first. Later Ac games use this method while it has a huge open world game to explore, the game pretty much decides for you where you have to go first. I kind of wish they would ditch this system all together and give more freedom to the player, like in ac oddysey want to go to athens or sparta first you should be able to do that. Technically you can but you are so underpowered enemies kill you in one hit and you pretty much can't do any damage to them.

Companions that actually have their own thoughts and morals, like how cool would it be that companions would actually turn on you on any given moment because they feel like you are doing the wrong thing and criticize you for it or companions that would actually go the extra mile for you because you helped them out or they believe that you are doing the right thing. I feel like companions quests are usually the best in a game because you know you are doing a favour for somebody you care for  that said i feel like using a good moral system, not only would it possible to add an entire quest line tied to a companion but also give them much more of a character on their own, pretty much anybody follows your command from the day you meet them in a jrpg, i feel like this could use a change up. Like if your behaving like an asshole any companion should be able to leave at any given time and leaving you on your own for the remainder of the game. Why not have companions that have a grudge against eachother and it's your job to keep them at bay or solve the problem alltogether.

Edited by Yaramaki

On 9/15/2022 at 8:59 AM, Heatman said:

So true - it just cheapens the experience honestly. We get that it's an illusion of choice but at least make it have some influence...

On 9/15/2022 at 10:00 AM, Akun said:

Maybe not - you could have a sequel that checks which choices you made in the game prior and starts off with a start that reflects those choices. I agree it'd be time consuming to implement but it doesn't make sense giving us choices if it doesn't matter in the end.

My dream is for games in well-understood genres (i.e. FPS, 4X, RTS, etc.) to be easily produced by those games' fans, creating a glut of variety in common genres, ending reliance on games companies to produce those types of games, and forcing games companies with significant capital to become creative again, instead of shoveling the same shit out the door every year.

9 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

For me is to be able to save/stop at any moment, not all games support it, which sucks.

That's actually the point I had in mind when I saw this topic. To be frank, I'll cherish the moment when I see this kind of feature in all future video games. Where someone have to start were the game stopped last time out. For instance, here in my geography, we experience power issues, unfortunately you can lose a game progress due to such problem when you didn't save your progress. But in the sense where the feature of stop/start is available, you can easily start from where you stopped last time out. 

14 hours ago, Justin11 said:

That's actually the point I had in mind when I saw this topic. To be frank, I'll cherish the moment when I see this kind of feature in all future video games. Where someone have to start were the game stopped last time out. For instance, here in my geography, we experience power issues, unfortunately you can lose a game progress due to such problem when you didn't save your progress. But in the sense where the feature of stop/start is available, you can easily start from where you stopped last time out. 

For me its the lack of fully sitting down for a while to play a game, I might have anywhere from 30 to 50 mins if even that.

15 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

For me its the lack of fully sitting down for a while to play a game, I might have anywhere from 30 to 50 mins if even that.

Yours issue is different from mine, at least you wouldn't be too concerned with the feature. Because when you're tired, you can just save your progress and start from there next time. 

8 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Yours issue is different from mine, at least you wouldn't be too concerned with the feature. Because when you're tired, you can just save your progress and start from there next time. 

Pretty much, a long hard day at work don't leave me much energy for enjoyment.