Register Now
Kane99

GoldenEye 007 is finally coming to Xbox and Nintendo Switch

I know there was rumors of a possible remaster for Goldeneye coming, and it seems to be true. Goldeneye will be rereleased on Xbox and switch. The Xbox version will drop on gamepass day one. 

The game will also have updated graphics and includes achievements and split screen. 

Read more on the news here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/gaming/goldeneye-007-is-finally-coming-to-xbox-and-nintendo-switch/ar-AA11Moes

I'm not quite sure how to feel about this one and I love Goldeneye especially on the N64 - I still play it occasionally at a friend's house. That being said, the multiplayer part of the game is what really made it popular. Are they planning on bringing back split-screen multiplayer or will it be online like more modern games?

I don't know how to feel about this either. Goldeneye 007 was a monumental game, and pretty much universally loved. But sometimes for a game to remain legendary, it needs to stay where it was to begin with. I'm not saying that a remake/remaster is necessarily a bad idea. But the odds of them screwing the game up by adding too many junk features, or removing something the gamers felt was critical are just way too high in my opinion. I say leave it alone and leave it where it is. Or if you're desperate to bring it back CHANGE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Give the gamers what they remember and love. Update the graphics if you have to change anything, but just give us what we loved. Personally I won't be playing it on anything new, because I feel that the N64 graphics are part of the charm. The crux of being a classic gamer.

When I saw that online play is for the switch, I laughed hard. Like belly laughed, tears rolling down my cheek while I gasped for air and my face turned red.

And then they said only local multiplayer for the Xbox One. I nearly pissed myself.

This is really sad, and what's worse is that there are chumps out there that will go out and buy it. Me? - I'll enjoy replaying Perfect Dark on a 360. I almost want to set it all up and post when GoldenEye releases so I can compare which looks better LOL

I remember hearing that there was a remake of Goldeneye that was planed to be released for the Xbox 360 in the same way as Perfect Dark.  I was complete and even playable through XBox Live developer access, but was never publicly released due to licensing issues.  I'm guessing they have resolved those issues and it's pretty much that version (maybe with some more modern tweaks) that's finally coming out.

Edited by Crazycrab

On 9/14/2022 at 6:43 PM, The Blackangel said:

I don't know how to feel about this either. Goldeneye 007 was a monumental game, and pretty much universally loved. But sometimes for a game to remain legendary, it needs to stay where it was to begin with. I'm not saying that a remake/remaster is necessarily a bad idea. But the odds of them screwing the game up by adding too many junk features, or removing something the gamers felt was critical are just way too high in my opinion. I say leave it alone and leave it where it is. Or if you're desperate to bring it back CHANGE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Give the gamers what they remember and love. Update the graphics if you have to change anything, but just give us what we loved. Personally I won't be playing it on anything new, because I feel that the N64 graphics are part of the charm. The crux of being a classic gamer.

I agree to some extent. I think Goldeneye has aged fairly poorly in terms of graphics though. I think for this remaster, they just updated the visuals/locations and character models. But I think that was it. They may have changed the shooting mechanics, but I don't know, as the Perfect Dark HD remaster didn't change the shooting mechanics. So maybe it won't be the same. 

Graphics for PS1/N64 haven't aged well. A lot of the early 3D games look horrible today. It sometimes bothers me to play retro games on these consoles, because a lot of them have aged so poorly that I honestly get eye strain for playing too long. I'm surprised I was able to survive these games back when I was a kid lol. 

11 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I agree to some extent. I think Goldeneye has aged fairly poorly in terms of graphics though. I think for this remaster, they just updated the visuals/locations and character models. But I think that was it. They may have changed the shooting mechanics, but I don't know, as the Perfect Dark HD remaster didn't change the shooting mechanics. So maybe it won't be the same.

Graphics for PS1/N64 haven't aged well. A lot of the early 3D games look horrible today. It sometimes bothers me to play retro games on these consoles, because a lot of them have aged so poorly that I honestly get eye strain for playing too long. I'm surprised I was able to survive these games back when I was a kid lol.

Considering how life like the graphics are today, anything from the Wii and back has outdated graphics that most would consider extremely poor. I saw somewhere online someone saying that people who play any old graphics aren't real gamers. I let the kid have it. I've been gaming since before a lot of the members here were even born. I love 2, 8, 16, and 64 bit graphics. I'm the type of person who doesn't care what other people are into. For example, I listen to Nickleback. Sure the world may hate them, but I like their music, so I see no reason to not listen to them.

With the PS1/N64, by comparison to today's graphics you're absolutely right. They haven't aged well. The only graphics I can think of that even come close to being realistic, are the cutscenes in FF8. Everything else was pixelated as hell. But that was simply due to the graphic capabilities of the time. Also there were no motion capture games. It was all completely digital animation.

So now that we have actors both in voice and action, the games we have are basically interactive movies.

But, you also have to remember that a lot of us value nostalgia. With me, it could possibly be a little excessive. I listen to 80's rock, play 80's games, and drive a 1987 Iroc-Z.
Have ever I mentioned that I'm a child of the 80's?

On 9/17/2022 at 11:44 PM, The Blackangel said:

I listen to Nickleback. Sure the world may hate them, but I like their music, so I see no reason to not listen to them.

Honestly, the Nickelback hate is mostly from the press/critics. The press that dictates “good taste” hates them with a passion, so the rock community that likes to act like they have “good taste” have to act like they hate them too.

They have a ton of commercially successful albums, and regularly fill stadiums, so despite what the press wants to dictate, clearly someone listens to them.

On 9/14/2022 at 5:43 PM, The Blackangel said:

I agree with everything you said - From what I learned, it seems they'll be upgrading the graphics (that's what they said at least, we'll see at release). The multiplayer aspect will only be available for the Switch version and it's online, not the 4-player split screen (I'd have loved if they kept that). Unless, I get it for free, I don't think I'll be getting it either.

21 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

If I understand right, the Xbox won't be the leaked version that came out last year that was a 360 like remake. But I'll jump online with Nintendo and play game classic fps with some old friends, it will be good times all over again.

The Xbox version will only have the single-player campaign which makes no sense because most people enjoyed the split-screen multiplayer aspect of the game. I think they should've added that to both versions.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

The Xbox version will only have the single-player campaign which makes no sense because most people enjoyed the split-screen multiplayer aspect of the game. I think they should've added that to both versions.

I think the 360 version of perfect dark is to blame for that, I heard online play for that was pretty dead. But if popular enough on Nintendo, I could see MS bringing online play.

On 9/18/2022 at 12:44 AM, The Blackangel said:

Considering how life like the graphics are today, anything from the Wii and back has outdated graphics that most would consider extremely poor. I saw somewhere online someone saying that people who play any old graphics aren't real gamers. I let the kid have it. I've been gaming since before a lot of the members here were even born. I love 2, 8, 16, and 64 bit graphics. I'm the type of person who doesn't care what other people are into. For example, I listen to Nickleback. Sure the world may hate them, but I like their music, so I see no reason to not listen to them.

True, but the graphics aren't as painful on the eyes as N64/PS1 games are, or early 3D graphics of the time. I don't mind bad graphics, just as long as they don't hurt or bug my eyes. As for the person saying people who play games with old graphics aren't real gamers, that person is just dumb. I wouldn't take anything that person says seriously. 😄 Because, you can be a gamer from any generation. 

And for sure. For me, it's just how tough the graphics look. I get eye strain from looking at old 3D graphic games, because it all kinda blends together with the background. It's like looking at a static screen on old TVs. 

With the PS1/N64, by comparison to today's graphics you're absolutely right. They haven't aged well. The only graphics I can think of that even come close to being realistic, are the cutscenes in FF8. Everything else was pixelated as hell. But that was simply due to the graphic capabilities of the time. Also there were no motion capture games. It was all completely digital animation.

So now that we have actors both in voice and action, the games we have are basically interactive movies.

But, you also have to remember that a lot of us value nostalgia. With me, it could possibly be a little excessive. I listen to 80's rock, play 80's games, and drive a 1987 Iroc-Z.

I wouldn't say it's about realism for me. It's just that my eyes can't take a lot of the older 3D games of the time. It may be that I'm used to HD graphics at this point, or maybe it was always bad for my eyes lol. I love graphics from retro consoles/games though, like NES, SNES, etc, but once we got into the 3D side of things, it was hit or miss for me. 

And I get nostalgia as well. I still play the games I enjoyed from back then, but I find that the graphics are tough on my eyes if I play for a while. Maybe it's due to age, idk. But they're more sensitive to early 3D games. 

I don't have any real basis for comparison, as my eyes are still used to both the blocky 8, 16, and 64 bit graphics. But I can switch from Mario 64, to RDR2 and suffer no issues. But then again, I'm weird as hell, so it may be a mind thing. But in that area with me, if you can find it, you can keep it.

On 9/18/2022 at 5:44 AM, The Blackangel said:
On 9/17/2022 at 5:43 PM, Kane99 said:

The graphics aren't a big issue for me, Like @The Blackangel I find them nostalgic and charming.  The bigger problem is the controls which, I'm sorry to say, nostalgia doesn't rescue.  A the time the controls on Goldeneye were revolutionary for consoles, but since the introduction of twin sticks which have become industry standard across all systems this control scheme is awkward and of putting.  I'm not just saying that out of speculation either, I've played Perfect Dark on the XBox One and it feels really off compared to modern shooters.

P.S:  Out of curiosity when I do a "quote in quote" like I just did do both users get notified?

Edited by Crazycrab