Register Now
runswithspatulas

gaming and our connection with others

i wasn't sure what to title this or if this was an appropriate place for it but here it is...

do you as a gamer ever feel out of place and awkward in the world around you? do you have trouble communicating or a lack of desire to communicate with others? i feel like this a lot. i feel like the only place i'm ok to be myself is in my games. i don't like multiplayer games anymore after some of the experiences i've had in groups and public streams and in voice chats. i prefer to game by myself. i've never really played well with others in life in general so gaming alone doesn't really bother me. it's actually easier that way. i just didn't know if all of us have a certain awkward introversion within us that makes us want to game more or not. or maybe i'm just crazy. 

There is a growing number of players feeling this heat. It is a kind of being mentally exhausted where you want to take it at your own pace. I have felt it in the past, and I will suggest you get back at playing multiplayer, but now, with gamers that you flow along with. Playing solo is good, but gets boring with time.

13 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Your stance towards multiplayer games is understandable - Nowadays, multiplayer games have become so toxic, that I'm not half as interested in playing rounds with randoms anymore. I mean, it's just a game and people need to lighten up.

There are a lot of toxic gamers nowadays, I understand. However, I don't think it is a good reason to ditch the multiplayer games yet as there are games that give some strict rules on how gamers should behave and offenders get banned. 

5 minutes ago, Ajibusu said:

There are a lot of toxic gamers nowadays, I understand. However, I don't think it is a good reason to ditch the multiplayer games yet as there are games that give some strict rules on how gamers should behave and offenders get banned. 

they just use an acct. from another platform.

i don't see the point in multiplayer games if they're just gonna do or say stuff to hurt my feelings. that happens rather often. i'm just here to play and have fun and they go off if ya ain't no good. plus trying to find someone to play with doesn't work very well.

On 9/19/2022 at 10:39 AM, runswithspatulas said:

i wasn't sure what to title this or if this was an appropriate place for it but here it is...

do you as a gamer ever feel out of place and awkward in the world around you? do you have trouble communicating or a lack of desire to communicate with others? i feel like this a lot. i feel like the only place i'm ok to be myself is in my games. i don't like multiplayer games anymore after some of the experiences i've had in groups and public streams and in voice chats. i prefer to game by myself. i've never really played well with others in life in general so gaming alone doesn't really bother me. it's actually easier that way. i just didn't know if all of us have a certain awkward introversion within us that makes us want to game more or not. or maybe i'm just crazy. 

I've never really played online much, i did it for a while during the early 360 days until i realised it was nothing for me and it's safe to say i rather play games on my own and create my own version of what is fun to me.  I don't really have a problem with communicating with others as i'm a fairly social type of guy who can talk to pretty much anybody about whatever but i do however as you state it yourself don't really feel the need to be social, there are times where i'd rather be alone and just want to do my own thing wheter it's playing videogames or doing something else like go out hiking solo for an entire day. You shouldn't  see it as a problem when somebody wants to spend some time alone or just want to be left alone alltogheter, no on the contrary it's a good characteristic to have.

10 minutes ago, Yaramaki said:

I've never really played online much, i did it for a while during the early 360 days until i realised it was nothing for me and it's safe to say i rather play games on my own and create my own version of what is fun to me.  I don't really have a problem with communicating with others as i'm a fairly social type of guy who can talk to pretty much anybody about whatever but i do however as you state it yourself don't really feel the need to be social, there are times where i'd rather be alone and just want to do my own thing wheter it's playing videogames or doing something else like go out hiking solo for an entire day. You shouldn't  see it as a problem when somebody wants to spend some time alone or just want to be left alone alltogheter, no on the contrary it's a good characteristic to have.

I'm fairly similar I think. I've always described myself as an "extroverted introvert" in that when I open up to people I can be very lively and social, but it's also very draining and sometimes I enjoy just being for myself for an entire week, playing Red Dead Redemption 2 or some other big single-player adventure. I do like playing online, but mostly with real-life friends as I enjoy the social aspect more than the competitive aspect.

There's a difference between being lonely and just wanting to be alone sometimes and that's totally fine :)

I've made friends playing games but it's never lasted much longer than the game. I play mmos so I've had friends for years in the mmo. But when I moved on the friendship ended.

But then I don't voice chat. So our interaction was never as deep as those who chat while online.

I have a friend whose been friends for 10+ years with some online people. They meet weekly online to chat and play games

2 hours ago, Empire said:

I've made friends playing games but it's never lasted much longer than the game. I play mmos so I've had friends for years in the mmo. But when I moved on the friendship ended.

But then I don't voice chat. So our interaction was never as deep as those who chat while online.

I have a friend whose been friends for 10+ years with some online people. They meet weekly online to chat and play games

It's only on Top Eleven Football Manager that I have made a brother because he's more than just a friend now. We got hooked up in the Football Manager Game over 5 years ago and we have bonded so well now. We even talk more off the game now. He's stopped playing for at least 2 years now but we still have our connection. 

8 hours ago, Empire said:

see and i had that problem. i made some fun friends on fortnite but when i had to leave the game that's where it stopped. 

I'm part of a community where we game together from time to time. It's just us hanging out in a Discord voice chat, maybe gaming, but sometimes we watch movies and hang out. I'm so glad I've done it, because it's fun to watch movies and chat with friends. 

I don't frequently play online games myself, but when I do I try to find my friends on Discord instead and play with them. I don't usually play with people I don't know. Not these days at least. 

10 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I'm part of a community where we game together from time to time. It's just us hanging out in a Discord voice chat, maybe gaming, but sometimes we watch movies and hang out. I'm so glad I've done it, because it's fun to watch movies and chat with friends. 

I don't frequently play online games myself, but when I do I try to find my friends on Discord instead and play with them. I don't usually play with people I don't know. Not these days at least. 

Discord is a very good place to hook up with lots of gamers and make friends with the good one's. It's not every gamer in the same server with that I would be interested in making friends with. Once we don't vibe on the same level and frequency, it's going to impossible to make friends with such individual. 

On 9/20/2022 at 7:07 AM, runswithspatulas said:

they just use an acct. from another platform.

i don't see the point in multiplayer games if they're just gonna do or say stuff to hurt my feelings. that happens rather often. i'm just here to play and have fun and they go off if ya ain't no good. plus trying to find someone to play with doesn't work very well.

Well, having toxic players even began from the gaming house. I got involved in a lot of fights growing up all because some of my friends tried to bully me at the gaming house. So, growing up, I developed a tough skin to face all challenges on gaming.