Register Now
runswithspatulas

gaming and our connection with others

Yeah, I relate to this topic and its OP so much because I've always felt this way. I've always been a single player gamer, and the few times I did play multiplayers, I'd either suck at it (Counterstrike) or just got burned through conflict with other players (World of Warcraft, Star Wars: The Old Republic). I don't get along with people very well in life outside of gaming either, so social interaction has always been a big hurdle for me. I keep trying, particularly with forums like this, because humans are inherently social creatures whose social needs are as important as our needs to eat and drink, but I've failed more often than I succeeded in keeping close to a community without ending up in some argument. Even in this forum, I've argued with someone in just the short time since I've joined. I hate conflict like that; I'd much rather spend my time relaxing in some single player game.

I don't find it particularly boring either, single player games, because I'm a weirdo who found more emotional attachment to fictional characters than with real people ever since I was a kid. Being in a virtual world feels more fun to me than deal with the real life drama of real people, especially in our day and age when everyone's gotta argue about politics or gender/racial tribalism.

Edited by Akun

On 9/25/2022 at 10:06 AM, Akun said:

Yeah, I relate to this topic and its OP so much because I've always felt this way. I've always been a single player gamer, and the few times I did play multiplayers, I'd either suck at it (Counterstrike) or just got burned through conflict with other players (World of Warcraft, Star Wars: The Old Republic). I don't get along with people very well in life outside of gaming either, so social interaction has always been a big hurdle for me. I keep trying, particularly with forums like this, because humans are inherently social creatures whose social needs are as important as our needs to eat and drink, but I've failed more often than I succeeded in keeping close to a community without ending up in some argument. Even in this forum, I've argued with someone in just the short time since I've joined. I hate conflict like that; I'd much rather spend my time relaxing in some single player game.

I don't find it particularly boring either, single player games, because I'm a weirdo who found more emotional attachment to fictional characters than with real people ever since I was a kid. Being in a virtual world feels more fun to me than deal with the real life drama of real people, especially in our day and age when everyone's gotta argue about politics or gender/racial tribalism.

Same here. I actually did better in fortnite by myself. But I started having heart trouble so I set those games aside. I don't need the extra stress. Plus with all the hacking it became no fun anymore. I don't even like multiplayer in my cozy games that much either. I had a very aggressive person visiting my ACNH island and she freaked out on me because I wouldn't let her in certain places like my house at the time cuz I had lots of stuff laying out that she could've picked up. I had to close out messenger cuz she was chewing me out and I had to kick her off my island. I'm not used to socializing in video games and it's sometimes just as awkward as face to face conversations.

On 9/20/2022 at 1:52 PM, runswithspatulas said:

see and i had that problem. i made some fun friends on fortnite but when i had to leave the game that's where it stopped. 

I've come to learn that it's apart of the experience - some of the people I game with currently are people who I met from other MMOs over a decade ago and have maintained those friendships and there are some that I just stopped talking to once I left the game.

On 9/25/2022 at 4:06 PM, Akun said:

I sometimes just want to sit all by myself with some music on and playing videogames not because I don't enjoy playing it with others but because that's just want I feel like doing at the moment.

It's okay to want to be all alone at times and as long as you are in complete control of what you want and how you feel.

I can fully understand why you would feel how you do when it comes to multiplayer games and interacting with others. As much as we can sometimes come across some of the nicest people we will meet in the online gaming world, we still have that issue where people will be cruel and just evil and will say things that make you rethink why you even bother with online communication. The number of times I have been online in an online lobby on a game and there is someone being just nasty and evil to others in the lobby is awful. Unfortunately, even though there are laws in place to deal with people who fire abuse or harass others online, some still feel like they are immune on the internet. I myself now will only play with people I have known a while and it takes me a while to even start talking to new people online because of abuse or just people being nasty in general. Friends and family are the main ones I play with now either with communication in my home or communication over say Discord or Xbox Party. 

I don't think multiplayer games is what this topic is really about. There have been other discussions on VGR about introverts, anxiety, social problems etc. I find my own self becoming more isolated because I am surrounded by shitty peers. If I was surrounded by cool people similar to me, I would be a cool mother fucker. But instead I just don't get along with others because I'm different. I tried to make sense of it. I was born year of the goat, and month of pisces. That is a double whammy. It's probably superstition, but I think I was born to be fucked up. 

On 11/23/2022 at 6:22 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I don't think multiplayer games is what this topic is really about. There have been other discussions on VGR about introverts, anxiety, social problems etc. I find my own self becoming more isolated because I am surrounded by shitty peers. If I was surrounded by cool people similar to me, I would be a cool mother fucker. But instead I just don't get along with others because I'm different. I tried to make sense of it. I was born year of the goat, and month of pisces. That is a double whammy. It's probably superstition, but I think I was born to be fucked up. 

As long as you are entirely cool with who you are all you need to is hang around people that would understand you are different and vibe with you accordingly.

I usually don't relate a lot but I find I made a couple of friends because we are all Interested in the same kind of video games and still have similar interests in other stuffs.