Register Now
Techno

Should we rework the points system?

Alright so me and @Withywarlock have begun a long discussion on this and I feel like this topic should be it's own thread. Don't be afraid to post your opinion.

As for starting this topic, I feel like the first problem is the rewards. I fully apricate DC's effort on rewards, however I think the lack of a proper shop is hurting the site. I'd love to buy more than just video games, and as Warlock suggested, things like customization would be a great way to reward members without building up competition. A shop would be a great first step in reworking the points system and could make VGR a better place for all.

Does the reward system as it is reward people do what has been referred t as "post farming"? I admit, the answer is yes. However, if I have thought of a better system, I would have pushed for it and I thought a lot about this, especially over this past year and I have come to the conclusion that there is no system that won't invite abuse.

Ideally, we'd reward people posting in quality as well as quality, but how to work that in? We can't rewards points for "likes" and reactions on posts because, like I said, that will invite abuse in the form of people "tag-team" liking posts. People would also post more posts with purpose to have thier partner "like", so it's a double dose of problems.

Honestly, the best thing I can think of is what were doing now. Rewarding people being active with points for posts and new threads whilst policing the forum to prevent this "post farming". That's why we have come down so hard on this kind of activity in recent months. I'm not saying it's perfect, there may not even be a perfect system, but it can work.

The idea having more options available to cash the points in on like a shop sounds interesting though. What sort of things could we sell there? Aesthetics for one's profile or something?

Edited by Shagger

Does the reward system as it is reward people do what has been referred t as "post farming"? I admit, the answer is yes. However, if I have thought of a better system, I would have pushed for it and I thought a lot about this, especially over this past year and I have come to the conclusion that there is no system that won't invite abuse.

It is also worth noting that post framers and those with questionable posting habits (kingpotato, Heatman, Justin11) are all not allowed to participate in Bid for Rewards. There is truly only one user who has significantly more Points than anyone else and that is @The Blackangel. All of her posts have been meaningful and she has been here for years, in fact of our longest established members.

Ideally, we'd reward people posting in quality as well as quality, but how to work that in? We can't rewards points for "likes" and reactions on posts because, like I said, that will invite abuse in the form of people "tag-team" liking posts. People would also post more posts with purpose to have thier partner "like", so it's a double dose of problems.

Correct. Members do not receive Points for received post reactions.

The idea having more options available to cash the points in on like a shop sounds interesting though. What sort of things could we sell there? Aesthetics for one's profile or something?

Signature rights, different colored username, increased PM storeage, access to a Premium members only sub-forum.

I also want to make note that the Bid for Rewards program is something I instituted to further differentiate VGR from Neogaf and ResetEra. I do believe the majority of you would still contribute to VGR without the Bid for Rewards program but I enjoy offering it and will continue the program as the forum grows.

I don't really see anything wrong with the current points system to be honest, it's not that it overly matters to me as i never came here to get free stuff as i came here because i wanted to talk about videogames and it's culture . I think i've got 2 switch games so far trough the bid for rewards program, while these are neat rewards and a nice gesture from dc, it should not be the main motivation to keep posting here and to me it never will.

One thing you could do is make a overhaul of the Member of the month and reward second and third place also with some points, it would be more motivating especially for newer members that their posts are appreciated here and we want them to continue to post here. Maybe something worth considering @DC what do you think?

If you are going to do a shop i'd probably say some vgr merch would be cool but i don't know i'd just rather buy it myself instead because you know some vgr merch would be cool tough. Yeah i wouldn't mind wearing a shirt that says Proud Moderator at vgr.com bitches or something along those lines lol. But i'll take anything i can get really even if it's cosmetics for the forum.

14 hours ago, Shagger said:

Ideally, we'd reward people posting in quality as well as quality, but how to work that in? We can't rewards points for "likes" and reactions on posts because, like I said, that will invite abuse in the form of people "tag-team" liking posts. People would also post more posts with purpose to have thier partner "like", so it's a double dose of problems

I think the reputation is fine as it is and i'm probably the only one who sees it more as how reputable somebody their posts are as in quality posts, my goal is to reach 500 reputation by the time i hit 1000 posts, so far i'm on course. If i could reach it that means half my posts were liked and that is enough to put a smile on my face and to keep me motivated to continue putting time and effort into my posts, even if some take me over half an hour to write.

Edited by Yaramaki

I agree with what @Yaramaki have said, no need to overhaul the points system. Already, DC is doing his utmost best keeping VGR running smoothly, I wouldn't ask more than that. As for the VGR merch, I'm in support, but it depends on what admin have in mind, he alone will have final say, either to bring the merch around or not. Adding a shop option around VGR, where one can use his/her accumulated points to shop either the merch, or fancy/coloured username will be a tremendous option. 

But nevertheless, I'm enjoying the way VGR is at the moment, if admin keep things this way, I'm not against it. 

2 hours ago, Yaramaki said:

I don't really see anything wrong with the current points system to be honest, it's not that it overly matters to me as i never came here to get free stuff as i came here because i wanted to talk about videogames and it's culture . I think i've got 2 switch games so far trough the bid for rewards program, while these are neat rewards and a nice gesture from dc, it should not be the main motivation to keep posting here and to me it never will.

One thing you could do is make a overhaul of the Member of the month and reward second and third place also with some points, it would be more motivating especially for newer members that their posts are appreciated here and we want them to continue to post here. Maybe something worth considering @DC what do you think?

If you are going to do a shop i'd probably say some vgr merch would be cool but i don't know i'd just rather buy it myself instead because you know some vgr merch would be cool tough. Yeah i wouldn't mind wearing a shirt that says Proud Moderator at vgr.com bitches or something along those lines lol. But i'll take anything i can get really even if it's cosmetics for the forum.

I think the reputation is fine as it is and i'm probably the only one who sees it more as how reputable somebody their posts are as in quality posts, my goal is to reach 500 reputation by the time i hit 1000 posts, so far i'm on course. If i could reach it that means half my posts were liked and that is enough to put a smile on my face and to keep me motivated to continue putting time and effort into my posts, even if some take me over half an hour to write.

I hear you @Yaramaki. I to take much more pride in having my posts read and apricated rather than the sheer number I post, but the point I think @Techno was making, and he is right, is the the points system in essence rewards people for posting in quantity rather than quality. That could be considered a problem and what may have lead to the "post farming" problem in the first place.

There are several other ways you could possible use as gaining additional points, why not have a game challenge, we used to have these high score challenges on other forums but i doubt this would work here as not everybody would have the same game. Why not try something like where a member could possible earn points for completing a game, it's fairly easy to prove these days where you show a picture of your tv or whatever else providing the date and achievement/trophy or just plain proof aslong the date is there that you beat the main story of a game and get a few points as reward. 

Or maybe Dc can give out some points where he feels like they earned it by contributing good posts to vgr on a consistent basis. Having a member of the week is probably pushing it but i feel like the member of the month idea i previously suggested would already be a good start.

Say you get a game trough bid for rewards send in proof you played it and why not beat it and get your points back.

Maybe do a quiz from time to time where the answers are not easy to find but have been posted on the board and reward those that read troughly like for example what genre of music does shagger like most or what is an animal theblackangel would not kill in a videogame, what is justin11 his favourite team, How many games has yaramaki bought in june, what is withywarlock his favourite game etc etc. 

I'm just making this up as i go as brainstorming always seems to help others come up with some ideas.