Register Now
Knight Plug

Silent Hill fans can go cry in a corner...

NO!!!!  Really!?  The Silent Hill rumours that I and everyone else semi-sensible been saying were bullshit this entire time were in fact.... bullshit?  Well consider me spiffled!!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this fanbase nobody but themselves to blame.  I think it's about time they finally got their head out their asses and took some responsibility for their own gullible optimism.

They believed Abandoned was secretly a Silent Hill project even after Konami and even Kojima confirmed they have nothing to do with it.  I remember (and even getting some flack for) saying at the time there was nothing suggesting that this had anything to do with Silent Hill and fuck me, I was right.  The fanbase even had the nerves blame the the dev's because when they saw the viral marketing they voluntarily cherry picked it apart letting them think Abandoned was something it wasn't.  Fucking pathetic!

Then some time later Boober Team confirm they are partnership with Konami and they do a hop, skip and a jump right back on that train screaming "Silent Hill!  Silent Hill!".  Then of they course they are forced to make a statement saying that there is no Silent Hill project in production back in June.  Then months later these "leaks" show up and they let themselves get wound up, AGIAN, expecting some announcement at TGS which of course, never happened.

What is wrong with these people!!  The rumours of a Silent Hill game from Bloober were confirmed to be wrong months before any of the "leaks" and you still believed it.  To tell the truth, I actually commend this guy for exposing just how narrow eyed and gullible this fanbase truly is.  The fact he can post a rumour that had already been debunked months earlier and it can still such a huge amount of traction is mind blowing.  I sure as hell wouldn't be sorry for it, I'd be like:

139435e0-922e-4cae-b9d2-539cd4183da5_tex

WAKE UP!!!!!  Until Konami confirms otherwise there are no Silent Hill projects in production.  End of story!

Next time there is a Silent Hill rumour, ignore it.  So when it inevitably doesn't pan out you might come out of it not looking like a bunch of fools.

I remember you saying that...

Because it was only last week. 

However, this is his rumours. Guys like Dusk Golem have yet to be debunked, or whatever the term is. Dusk has often been correct in prior years about other horror games like Resident Evil Village, and while he made out he quit being a leaker in the past, he continued to sporadically post updates. So it's hard to say if it's true, but I don't see why Dusk would be telling porkies.

Konami did post a tweet once saying they were not closing the doors on the series just yet, for what it's worth. But yep. They certainly don't make that many triple A games anymore.

@Crazycrab's tone aside, their message is sadly correct. Leakers don't have the full context for the content they're leaking, and what may have been true at the time can easily change moments later due to the sheer complexity of development. This is assuming they're telling the truth, and recently we've seen a huge debacle over an 'industry insider' being a regular Johnny Youtuber. I'm not going to doubt this Dusk fellow any more than I would other leakers, but the trust I place in them - however correct their past claims have been - is little to begin with.

I'm disappointed for you and all the Silent Hill fans eagerly awaiting a new game, but my sympathy can only extend so far when that eagerness is hedged on hearsay and dubious screenshots/video footage. The times have changed so dramatically, where even hands-on gameplay days before release can be totally unrepresentative of what the final product is, so it's hard for me to say "until [x], [y], and [z] happens you should be cautious."

To be honest, I'm glad that Konami hasn't decided to ruin the Silent Hill series by making a game themselves. We should take this as a good thing - I mean, have you seen or heard about Metal Gear Survive? Yeah, I thought as much... Unless someone else is making it, I don't want Konami ruining what bit of nostalgia I have left for the IPs they have in their possession like Silent Hill, Castlevania and Metal Gear.

@Withywarlock makes a great point that these "leaks" have been nothing short of a witch hunt. We still haven't gotten anything concrete to say that another Silent Hill game was coming. It was all fan enthusiasm and some other gaming companies exploited it like - I forgot the name of the company but we were discussing this up to a year or so ago. 

I remember that zombie game, but it wasn't even remotely reminiscent of Metal Gear.

Even Resident Evil had some pretty spectacularly dumb ideas in the last installment. Like that dude with the big hammer who turns into a Transformer type machine. Or the tall vampire lady. And the fat merchant flogging you enough guns to rival John Matrix.

Looking back on RE games from before, they were a different kettle of fish. SH had mostly unrelated storylines. One bad apple didn't spoil the whole bunch.

An Osmunds reference there. 

42 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

To be honest, I'm glad that Konami hasn't decided to ruin the Silent Hill series by making a game themselves. We should take this as a good thing - I mean, have you seen or heard about Metal Gear Survive? Yeah, I thought as much... Unless someone else is making it, I don't want Konami ruining what bit of nostalgia I have left for the IPs they have in their possession like Silent Hill, Castlevania and Metal Gear.

@Withywarlock makes a great point that these "leaks" have been nothing short of a witch hunt. We still haven't gotten anything concrete to say that another Silent Hill game was coming. It was all fan enthusiasm and some other gaming companies exploited it like - I forgot the name of the company but we were discussing this up to a year or so ago. 

I think the only way is to reform Team Silent and have them make Silent Hill again. They made the best SH games out of all of them SH 1-4. So just having Konami and some random development team make a new Silent Hill wouldn't be to my liking, at least. I know fans would want a good development team working on a new Silent Hill. I would like to see Kojima and team do a new Silent Hill, but that will never happen under Konami. 

Leaks need to be taken with a grain of salt. We need to stop automatically believing they are 100% true. Half the time you're probably going to get lies or fake news. Sometimes they're true, like with the recent GTA 6 leak, but most leaks are often hoaxes or fake or nothing of importance. 

On 9/22/2022 at 12:11 PM, Candy Stick said:

We were gullible fools. 🤑

But yeah. This is so sad! :classic_sad:

I can't hold my laughter about all of these! Most of the Silent Hills fans were just being too optimistic about a new project when the main guys, Konami, have not said anything about it. We shouldn't be expecting a surprise and it is high time we move on till something concrete comes up.

Silent Hill fans may be worse that Rockstar fans when it comes to diving head first into false optimisum. Being passionate and getting excited by new announcements is fine, but FFS use a little common sense. Look at sources and examine the details before jumping to conclusions, it's not difficult.

On 9/23/2022 at 8:41 PM, Shagger said:

Being passionate and getting excited by new announcements is fine, but FFS use a little common sense. Look at sources and examine the details before jumping to conclusions, it's not difficult.

A lot of people on social media would beg to differ, jumping headfirst into presumptions and baseless conclusions without bothering with this "research" thing, especially on Twitter. Once something starts trending, even baseless video game announcements, it spreads like a wildfire. That's just the way people are these days, looking for the quickest answer that affirms their preestablished beliefs. They need someone to approve their beliefs like a child would, even if there's no research or logic involved.

Idk man, for me, Shattered Memories is by far the weakest Silent Hill. The mere fact that you don't fight anything is a major turnoff to me. Homecoming isn't even a bad game. I don't even know where the hell people get that it's a bad game. So the fighting is clunky, I mean really? The combat is shit in basically all the games so that's a moot point. Scarlet and Amnion are fucking scary.

14 minutes ago, Candy Stick said:

Oh... WOW! 😊

8nm2SFo.gif.4283ec03e9033ac62e05970ff8529c01.gif

First off, never blindly trust what a YouTuber says, you need to look at the sources and do a little research.

A quick summery for everyone to describe precisely what has happened. The Game Rating and Administration Committee of Korea has rated something named Silent Hill: The Sort Message. I cant read Korean, so can't tell what the details are apart from the date (knowing what the rating is would actually be helpful, but alas, I don't know.). The company that applied for the rating is Uniana (Links to thier English website), a company best known for the production of arcade machines often under licence from Konami to use thier franchises (such as Dance Dance Revolution). Yes, that's right, arcade machines.

OK, the did also publish some games for Komani in Korea and were were also responsible for publishing eFootball, but that's hardly a reason to get exited given how much of a disaster that was. @Candy Stick, you and the Silent Hill fanbase have got to get a grip. This Silent Hill: The Sort Message could be anything. It could be an Arcade, it could be mobile game, it could be a tech demo, anything that isn't a full boar, full roar Silent Hill. I personally don't see even Konami leaving the publishing of a Main Silent Hill release in the hands of a subsidiary, although it is possible that Uniana are just handling the publishing locally in Korea. So it is still possible that this is a proper, new Silent Hill, but I doubt it.

How many times are people going to have to say it. Believe nothing unless it comes from the horses mouth. Stop doing this to yourself, man.

Anyway, here is the article from Gematsu that I believe was on of the first places to report the story. Another link form VG247 that goes into a little more detail.

5 hours ago, Candy Stick said:

The director of the first movie is ready to film the third movie. He said that it's part of a big revival. Locations are being scouted. Serbia?

So I take it he meant a game. I'm not sure why he would say that if he didn't know something.

Yeah Christophe Gans is rebooting it from what I hear. To my knowledge, the second film isn't going to be cannon with the new movie, I don't even know if the first movie will be cannon either. It might just be a full on reboot. My guess it'll be called Silent Hill and delve more into the first games story instead.