Register Now
LookingForGames

Searching for an RPG - Any suggestions welcome

Hi everyone,

The below might sound like complaining - but it's just my explanation of what I am looking for.

I'm looking for an RPG but I'm not sure if it exists (xbox one, ps4, or Switch).

I've tried a lot of games, but unfortunately I haven't found one that was for me.

I'm looking for an RPG that is simple (in terms of use; not how hard or easy it is to beat).

I just a want a game where weapons don't break, I don't have to craft food or magic, I don't have to repair or strengthen my sword or armor, and menus are very simple.

I find all these things the opposite of relaxing / enjoyable - it breaks the fun of enjoying the game - it's just sort of frustrating (as if I had a loose HDMI cable and had to get up every 5 minutes to plug it in firmly again - that's how annoying I find weapons breaking, armor and shields needing repair, gathering berries to craft food, etc...).

I just need a game where they give me one sword, one shield, 3 or so potions (fire, ice, and healing), a simple menu, no training (like the game makes you do a training course to learn how to do combos or fight or whatever - I don't want to have to that), a quest to complete, and send me on my way.

Just give me the basics I need. I don't need the realism (I'm fighting monsters and dragons: I don't need actual realism when it comes to weapon durability).

Any video game suggestions are greatly appreciated.

*I know I'm asking a lot - but the less cartoony the better.

Thank you

First off, welcome to VGR.

Any modern RPG that I know of will have at least one of the things you don't want incorporated. JRPG's, especially older ones, may be more up your alley. Have a look at Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy X and older and the Tales series. I even have a review of the latest Tales game Tales of Arise up on this forum if you want to check that out.

I hope that helps.

2 hours ago, LookingForGames said:

Hi everyone,

The below might sound like complaining - but it's just my explanation of what I am looking for.

I'm looking for an RPG but I'm not sure if it exists (xbox one, ps4, or Switch).

I've tried a lot of games, but unfortunately I haven't found one that was for me.

I'm looking for an RPG that is simple (in terms of use; not how hard or easy it is to beat).

I just a want a game where weapons don't break, I don't have to craft food or magic, I don't have to repair or strengthen my sword or armor, and menus are very simple.

I find all these things the opposite of relaxing / enjoyable - it breaks the fun of enjoying the game - it's just sort of frustrating (as if I had a loose HDMI cable and had to get up every 5 minutes to plug it in firmly again - that's how annoying I find weapons breaking, armor and shields needing repair, gathering berries to craft food, etc...).

I just need a game where they give me one sword, one shield, 3 or so potions (fire, ice, and healing), a simple menu, no training (like the game makes you do a training course to learn how to do combos or fight or whatever - I don't want to have to that), a quest to complete, and send me on my way.

Just give me the basics I need. I don't need the realism (I'm fighting monsters and dragons: I don't need actual realism when it comes to weapon durability).

Any video game suggestions are greatly appreciated.

*I know I'm asking a lot - but the less cartoony the better.

Thank you

RPG's vary significantly in complexity but I can't think of any that are THIS simplistic, even as far back as the NES.  You expect RPG's to have customisation, weapon options, crafting, skill trees and so on.  These are features that fans of the genre usually want and applaud and you'll be hard pressed finding one that rejects them.

I think you may be looking looking into the wrong genre here, maybe you should into something like a hack and slash instead.  Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Attack on Titan, God of War, NieR Replicant, Dynasty Warriors, that sorta thing.  A lot of these games have RPG elements but they more simplistic and combat focused.

I know you are looking for a console game but I would recommend having a scroll through Steam's ongoing "Bash Bash" Event to see if anything catches your eye.  You'll find almost all of these titles are on console as well.

https://store.steampowered.com/category/hack_and_slash/

9 minutes ago, LookingForGames said:

Hi,

Thank you for the replies and welcoming me to the forum.

Turns out I was looking at the wrong genre.

I looked into hack and slash and found 2 games that looked like they would be good for me: Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen and God of War.

I really appreciate it.

Dragons Dogma is a good shout. The class system does get more complex further into the game with fusion classes, but it's still fairly easy to keep in control of and these fusion classes are optional. I must cation that this is very much an action RPG, not strategy, so the combat might not be quite what your looking for, but give it a go for sure.

There is one game that I, for some reason, forgot about. Kingdoms of Amalur. It's a straight fantasy western RPG with brilliant combat.

I don't see anyone recommending Fire Emblem: Three Houses for your switch. All the monastery activities probably goes well with your preferences. Really easy to get into the daily life! Persona 4/5 would also be good, but that's for PS or PC.

It's been a long time since I've played it, but you could try Zelda: Twilight Princess. I would recommend other Zelda titles, but you said you didn't want anything too cartooney. I would recommend RDR2, but that has pretty much all the things you said you didn't want. Sorry I'm not much help, but since no one else had pointed it out, I decided to mention Zelda.

Thank you all for these great recommendations.

I love Zelda, I really do. I wish the weapons didn't break in Breath of the Wild and that I was better at figuring out the combat system and what to do/where to go.

I'll try to contribute back to the forum somehow - my vid game knowledge is limited in recent years, but I'll try to put in some response posts to threads where I can.

On 9/27/2022 at 6:26 PM, LookingForGames said:

Thank you all for these great recommendations.

I love Zelda, I really do. I wish the weapons didn't break in Breath of the Wild and that I was better at figuring out the combat system and what to do/where to go.

I'll try to contribute back to the forum somehow - my vid game knowledge is limited in recent years, but I'll try to put in some response posts to threads where I can.

Please do so if you wish. You're more than welcome to post questions as well as your thoughts and opinions.

Edited by Shagger