Register Now
melanie_marie27

What year did you get your very first computer?

I remember it was a Packard Bell PC from I think around 1996-1997. I have no idea now what the specs were, but it was a Windows 95 OS, it made a clicking sound and had a little light flash to indicate the CPU was doing something (A weird feature now that I think about it.) and loved it. I fell in love with PC gaming on that think with Dungeon Keeper, Decent, Screamer and Magic Carpet 2. I still play these games today.

It was probably around 1999 or 2001, when the Internet has finally resembled the kind we're familiar with today with Google and stuff. Online messengers like MSN Messenger and AIM were still a thing back then and I'd use them to chat with people from a Digimon forum I joined. It was an Acer PC, I think. I was very young at the time, just 9 years old in '99, so I couldn't quite remember the details. My monitor was big though, just a bit smaller than a CRT TV. My monitors would only get bigger down the years after I bought a 27 inch iMac, but it's now shrunk to a mid-sized monitor now on my custom PC.

17 hours ago, melanie_marie27 said:

Yep, around the year 2000 seems to be the start of PC-Party for everyone. It was so new and exciting.. yet, I'll admit it took me a year to finally learn the concept of copy/cut/paste 🙄😁 My brother taught me. Over and over again.

I had the commodore before that, probably mid/late 90s is when we had it. Sadly it died and we put it away in a shed to rot away. I wish I still had the whole computer and everything with it, but my parents likely tossed it years ago. 

Yeah the 2000s were a good time to get into computers. I remember before we got a newer PC, I would always throw a fit to my parents asking for one. 

I learned PCs pretty quick, but I remember having to teach my mom how to use a PC many times until she finally figured it out. 

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I had the commodore before that, probably mid/late 90s is when we had it. Sadly it died and we put it away in a shed to rot away. I wish I still had the whole computer and everything with it, but my parents likely tossed it years ago. 

Yeah the 2000s were a good time to get into computers. I remember before we got a newer PC, I would always throw a fit to my parents asking for one. 

I learned PCs pretty quick, but I remember having to teach my mom how to use a PC many times until she finally figured it out. 

Haha yep, same here. Once I (finally) learned the cut/copy/paste thing, many years later I found myself teaching my mom the same thing. And then I had to show her how to do it on the cell. Strangely, it took her quite a while to get the hang of it too. 🤔😂

I was late to the game regards owning my own PC 😉 My grandfrather had WIndows 93 for all my first ten years before he gave me that and before he gave me that I had a very old system that run from floppy disks and had no OS 😜 I was around 10 or 11 years old at the time 😉 

It wasn't the first PC that I had used or even had say in my bedroom when I was a teen, but it was my first PC that I could say was solely mine, wasn't shared and was something I could call my own and that is the PC I am on now. I was purchased this PC back in March 2018 by my boyfriend who got me it so that I was able to stream and make content. I am now able to stream and make content to help me earn extra money which has been a great help especially during the tough times over the last few years. Unfortunately, this PC is now getting a little old with the hardware I have in it and I would love to be able to upgrade at some point when I can but for now, I am making this PC last as long as I can until I am able to make enough to purchase a new PC.

The very first family computer we had was in 1995. Was pretty mind-blowing at the time, but it only had a 100MHz processor, and it wasn't even connected to the internet!

However, the first computer I owned was a Toshiba laptop that I got in 2009. I actually acquired it through a university grant... wasn't the best computer (and it was particularly lacking in hard drive space, with only 65GB), but other than that, it did the job 🙂 .