Register Now
StaceyPowers

Were you ever present for the end/shutdown of an online game?

Were you ever present for the final moments of an online game?

I was fondly remembering the one week I spent in a MUD called Orone many years ago. I discovered it the week it shut down, and me and a friend challenged ourselves to try and accomplish as much as possible in-game before the plug was pulled. It was actually a lot of fun since there was zero pressure, and other gamers had no reason not to help us achieve our ridiculous goals. But they did pull the plug several hours early, which was a disappointment. I could have done so much with those hours.

No I never really bothered to check a game out again before it closed its online servers. I know there's been a few games that I wanted to do that with, like Halo 1 & 2, maybe the earlier Call of Duty games if the online servers are no longer active for it. Other than that, I never really bothered to go back to old games that were closing down. 

20 hours ago, Kane99 said:

No I never really bothered to check a game out again before it closed its online servers. I know there's been a few games that I wanted to do that with, like Halo 1 & 2, maybe the earlier Call of Duty games if the online servers are no longer active for it. Other than that, I never really bothered to go back to old games that were closing down. 

Me neither - I might be there for like the last major in-game event before it officially shuts down like with Need4Speed World. I still miss that game...

Not really, If the game that I have played but it's not my cup of tea then I just not go back to the game again. PubG is something that I played three years ago then I want back and palyed it again for a day then stopped again. But most of the time I never palyed the games before the servers goes offline. 

On 9/28/2022 at 9:32 PM, killamch89 said:

Me neither - I might be there for like the last major in-game event before it officially shuts down like with Need4Speed World. I still miss that game...

Most of the time these games close up the online mode, I probably haven't played them for many years anyway, so never really see a point in going back to some games. But I get why some do go back to classic games they enjoyed playing online. It makes me wonder if the original COD 4 still has active servers, because that's one game I could see myself going back to play if the service is ending anytime soon. 

Yeah, I was present for the end of the LEGO Drome Racing Challenge, in 2007.

It sucked, but I get why they did it... abuse and cheating was rampant, and the game itself looked heavily outdated by then anyway.