Register Now
killamch89

You Would Not Believe What Apple Replaced The Sim Card Tray With In The Iphone 14 Lineup

Before we start talking about the Iphone 14 itself, we probably can have a whole separate topic about that. Anyways, so you guys know how Apple always removes a feature from their phones every year and makes up a "valid" excuse. Well guys, this year, they removed the Sim Card tray from the Iphone 14 Pro Max. Now I know what you're thinking - This doesn't make any sense? What's the point? Why would they even do that? To that I say - it really doesn't make any sense. Do you want to know why they removed it - to place a plastic block there...At this point, I don't even know what to say anymore. I just hope this doesn't catch on with other phone manufacturers. What are your thoughts on this?

At this point though, do we really need sim cards? I'm sure Apple has figured out a way to easier register phones and not have to worry about needing something like a sim card in the first place. The downside of this though, is that it'll probably be tougher to upgrade from a previous phone with a sim card to a new iPhone 14. 

Wasn't the sim card on its way out anyway? 

22 hours ago, Kane99 said:

At this point though, do we really need sim cards? I'm sure Apple has figured out a way to easier register phones and not have to worry about needing something like a sim card in the first place. The downside of this though, is that it'll probably be tougher to upgrade from a previous phone with a sim card to a new iPhone 14. 

Wasn't the sim card on its way out anyway? 

No it's not actually - there are plenty of people who use Sim cards when they travel. The international version of the Iphone 14 Pro Max retains the sim tray - if the sim tray was so useless, why does one version retain it while they got rid of it in the US?

I'm fucking sick of Apple.  They keep coming up with really dumb anti-consumer ideas that everyone inevitably copies..  They took away removable batteries, they took away the SD Cards, they took away the headphone jack and now their doing away with physical SIM cards.  So in future if you want to switch networks or use an alternative SIM going abroad or international calls were going to have to go through some god forsaken online verification process.  Not to mention you can now officially forget about any SIM free options or choosing your own network.  FUCK THIS!!!!!  Apple can take long walk off a short dick!

I've never been a fan of Apple/Mac products. Their entire computer attempts since the Apple II were a complete joke. They couldn't figure out the simplest of things. So Bill Gates eventually had to bail them out because trade laws don't allow for a monopoly. At least that's the story I got. There may be more or less to it, I don't know

But to get back on topic, I've used iPhone's since the Apple 5. I've tried android phones, but hated every last aspect of them. I know my way around an iPhone, and do actually like it. I prefer it over other types of phones. I agree that this was a moronic move to replace the sim tray with a piece of fucking plastic. What the hell was the actual point, is what I want to know. The ones that have that whole 5g conspiracy in their heads HAVE to have played a role in this. I honestly can't think of any other reason (as a company) that they would pull such a stupid stunt. But If I were asked to take a guess, I would say they did it so that later they can sell an "upgraded" version and make extra money that way. They knew Canadians wouldn't fall for it, but the states are so fucked up right now, that people would buy earrings made of tin foil, fish hooks, and dog shit.

That's revolution of smart phones, Apple have brought something new in the smart phone industry. Don't be surprised, soon enough you'll start seeing other brands following their step and not having the sim card slot within their device with something new. 

On 10/5/2022 at 4:34 PM, Justin11 said:

That's revolution of smart phones, Apple have brought something new in the smart phone industry. Don't be surprised, soon enough you'll start seeing other brands following their step and not having the sim card slot within their device with something new. 

While I agree that this is a good move, I don't understand how Apple want the users of iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 pro who already have sims do the switch. It is going to also take a lot of time for people to start adopting the e sims project.

5 hours ago, Ajibusu said:

While I agree that this is a good move, I don't understand how Apple want the users of iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 pro who already have sims do the switch. It is going to also take a lot of time for people to start adopting the e sims project.

I am confused too, but I believe it has a solution, before Apple came up with this, they've found it favourable to carried out. I believe those iphone users will adjust to the changes. Because, Apple wouldn't go on and implement something that will make their customers disgruntled, they evaluate the need and saw reasons to bring it on. 

8 hours ago, Ajibusu said:

I'm sorry but, how exactly is this a good move?  It's just apple being anti-consumer and removing a feature... again!  The only ones that benefit from this are the greedy ass telecommunication companies that for years have trying to monopolize and make it all but impossible for customers to have any other choice.  I'll bet right now that the IPhone 14 is going to be limited to one carrier in almost every US state with minimum 24 month contracts and that's assuming they ever let you switch carriers even after the contracts up, because the SIM card tray is gone and so there's fuck you can do about it. 

Apple is genuinely one of the worst companies out there when it come to consumer rights and choice.  You need their proprietary and ridiculously overpriced chargers and cables which don't even ship with the damn products if you want to fast charge.  Their so bad that here in Europe the EU had to step in and force them to adopt USB Type-C and ditch Thunderbolt in their future products if they want to sell them here.  As for right to repair?  HA!  They purposefully design their phones so that they only work with the components that they are shipped with.  For example, if the camera in you iPhone breaks you can't replace it with the camera from any other phone even if it's the exact same model that rolled the same production line on the same day.  So you have no choice but to take to back to them where they will charge an extortionate amount even it's just a loose connection that takes about 5 minutes of labour to fix.

Don't believe me?  See for yourself:

Their entire business model is ripping people off and they keep applauded for it!  Sorry to rant here but it genuinely infuriating what this company gets away with.

I know this is not the same technology but this reminds me of only having back in the day when you had Sprint and Verizon and the did not take SIM card as they were CDMA And if you had a phone from them you couldn't take it to T-Mobile or or AT&T So if you'd to take it to a Carrier that did not have esim you can't use your phone. I mean, if Apple wants to advance tech innovation, I admire their courage by embracing all backlashes. Them removing the jack paved the way for wireless music, sim tray for esim, maybe in the far future is the charging port for true wireless charging, better than Qi.

On 10/7/2022 at 2:46 PM, Crazycrab said:

I'm sorry but, how exactly is this a good move?  It's just apple being anti-consumer and removing a feature... again!  The only ones that benefit from this are the greedy ass telecommunication companies that for years have trying to monopolize and make it all but impossible for customers to have any other choice.  I'll bet right now that the IPhone 14 is going to be limited to one carrier in almost every US state with minimum 24 month contracts and that's assuming they ever let you switch carriers even after the contracts up, because the SIM card tray is gone and so there's fuck you can do about it. 

Apple is genuinely one of the worst companies out there when it come to consumer rights and choice.  You need their proprietary and ridiculously overpriced chargers and cables which don't even ship with the damn products if you want to fast charge.  Their so bad that here in Europe the EU had to step in and force them to adopt USB Type-C and ditch Thunderbolt in their future products if they want to sell them here.  As for right to repair?  HA!  They purposefully design their phones so that they only work with the components that they are shipped with.  For example, if the camera in you iPhone breaks you can't replace it with the camera from any other phone even if it's the exact same model that rolled the same production line on the same day.  So you have no choice but to take to back to them where they will charge an extortionate amount even it's just a loose connection that takes about 5 minutes of labour to fix.

Don't believe me?  See for yourself:

Their entire business model is ripping people off and they keep applauded for it!  Sorry to rant here but it genuinely infuriating what this company gets away with.

Is it a good move for Apple as a company? The answer is yes. The problem is that in a bid to become leaders of trend, they make some changes that put the users in a tight corner such as this decision to remove the sim slot. That is the reason I said it is going to take a lot of time for users to adopt those changes.

40 minutes ago, Ajibusu said:

Is it a good move for Apple as a company? The answer is yes. The problem is that in a bid to become leaders of trend, they make some changes that put the users in a tight corner such as this decision to remove the sim slot. That is the reason I said it is going to take a lot of time for users to adopt those changes.

Your trying to give them credit "trend setting" but none of these "trends" are for the benefit of the end user.  This company is so fucking avarice that they make the likes of EA and Activision-Blizzard look like fucking charities.  Every aspect of every single one of their products are designed from the ground up to leech as much money from  thier customer base as possible.  The manipulative marketing, the overpricing, the proprietary connectors/accessories and their continued denial of right to repair.  The worst thing is they have successfully manged to hook their consumer base to such an extreme extent that they will applaud their inferior, overpriced products and worse than non-existent customer service.

You seen the Louis Rossmann video I posted right?  The woman brought her MacBook to an Apple store because it wasn't charging properly and they told her that the pins on the battery connection were bent and they would have to replace the logic board the cost of $425...  both of these were flat out lies!  The pin's weren't bent, it was just loose and even if they were at worst it's the battery that needs replaced, not the board!  Why are they lying?  Simple, Apple would have replaced the board (probably with one they got from some other poor sap through this disgusting practice) then put hers in another "broken" MacBook and sell to somebody else They are discussing!  This not an isolated incident either, they pull this kind of shit all the time.  Check out the guys channel, he set up shop close to an Apple Store and it's packed to the brim with stories like this.

On 10/14/2022 at 1:00 AM, Crazycrab said:

Your trying to give them credit "trend setting" but none of these "trends" are for the benefit of the end user.  This company is so fucking avarice that they make the likes of EA and Activision-Blizzard look like fucking charities.  Every aspect of every single one of their products are designed from the ground up to leech as much money from  thier customer base as possible.  The manipulative marketing, the overpricing, the proprietary connectors/accessories and their continued denial of right to repair.  The worst thing is they have successfully manged to hook their consumer base to such an extreme extent that they will applaud their inferior, overpriced products and worse than non-existent customer service.

You seen the Louis Rossmann video I posted right?  The woman brought her MacBook to an Apple store because it wasn't charging properly and they told her that the pins on the battery connection were bent and they would have to replace the logic board the cost of $425...  both of these were flat out lies!  The pin's weren't bent, it was just loose and even if they were at worst it's the battery that needs replaced, not the board!  Why are they lying?  Simple, Apple would have replaced the board (probably with one they got from some other poor sap through this disgusting practice) then put hers in another "broken" MacBook and sell to somebody else They are discussing!  This not an isolated incident either, they pull this kind of shit all the time.  Check out the guys channel, he set up shop close to an Apple Store and it's packed to the brim with stories like this.

Apple Reps are aware the average user isn't that tech savvy and will just go along with anything they say so that's why they can keep getting away with these criminal practices. As for the woman in Louis Rossmann's video, she's lucky that they didn't recommend she buy a new device altogether because they've been known to do that as well.

I think I've made my point but just for shits and giggles here's another example which I think is actually even more laughable:

This teenager brought his MacBook Air into Louis after getting a quote of $1200 from the Apple store.  That was the combined cost replacing the screen, motherboard and GPU.  The GPU, which they said was around $400, the MacBook Air runs of the integrated CPU graphics.  In other words..... THEY WANTED TO CHARGE HIM FOR A REPLACEMENT PART THAT WAS NEVER EVEN THERE!!!!!!!!

Now that would be more than enough scum but if you can possibly comprehend it, it gets even worse.  It turned the actual fault was corrosion on a connector between a magnetic sensor and the board that indicates whether or not the screen is open or closed.  The faulty cable was turning the screen the screen off while the MacBook was open.  I looked up the cost of this cable and as of right now (might have been different back then) it's around $5 refurbished.

image_2022-10-20_233343968.thumb.png.c1c51d8a22e533a341c31cb84fab3259.png

So Apple wanted to charge this kid $1200 to replace two major parts that had nothing wrong with them and another that wasn't even there, all because this one part that would cost $10 max to replace had a little corrosion on it but you what the most disgusting thing is? If they had actually charged for and carried out the repair that they quoted him, replacing the logic board, screen and "GPU", it wouldn't have actually solved the problem!  They would replaced the board and the screen, reconnected them using the same connector and it have still had the exact same fault it came in with!  Unbelievable! 

Edited by Crazycrab