Register Now
killamch89

You Would Not Believe What Apple Replaced The Sim Card Tray With In The Iphone 14 Lineup

On 10/20/2022 at 8:53 PM, killamch89 said:

Apple Reps are aware the average user isn't that tech savvy and will just go along with anything they say so that's why they can keep getting away with these criminal practices. As for the woman in Louis Rossmann's video, she's lucky that they didn't recommend she buy a new device altogether because they've been known to do that as well.

Well, they understand their target market have the financial resources to get along with whatever they bring to the market. Exploring that market might not have been a better strategy from the user point of view, but Apple doesn't even care about it.

To be honest, Apple replacing the sim card tray is not really a surprise to me as I always expect them to change something when they release a new phone and anything is possible at this point. I remember being shocked that they got rid of the headphone jack when they did but people adapted to that and I feel with the change of the sim card tray, they will also adapt to that as well. 

25 minutes ago, Shortie said:

To be honest, Apple replacing the sim card tray is not really a surprise to me as I always expect them to change something when they release a new phone and anything is possible at this point. I remember being shocked that they got rid of the headphone jack when they did but people adapted to that and I feel with the change of the sim card tray, they will also adapt to that as well. 

You are so damn ignorant, removing the headphone jack was a terrible idea and it has NOT been universally accepted for two very good reasons:

1. Passive and older active speaker and headphone systems aren't Bluetooth compatible and there lots of people (including myself) that still use them.  A large part because of reason number 2.
  2. Bluetooth Latency.  A Bluetooth signal is delayed about 0.2 -0.25 seconds because of the time it takes the software to process.  When listening to music it's not a big issue but for watching video, gaming or trying to play an instrument to a backing track it can be borderline unusable.  I know because I recently tried to watch Netflix on my phone with Bluetooth earbuds and the sound was completely out of sync with the video, no such issue with a headset connected via the headphone jack.  I even have a portable guitar amplifier with the backing track feature with both a input jack and Bluetooth.  I connect it via Bluetooth to my laptop, play a video and got the exact same problem.

I explained earlier that the only people that benefit from removing physical SIM cards are the telecom companies and to be frank, if you think it's a good thing you either haven't thought this through or you are bit stupid.  Let just say you want to go on holiday to Turkey, a user with a physical SIM card try can buy a SIM card with cheap international rates and use it for that week and switch back to their old one when they got back home.  You with your iPhone 14 are fucking stuck with whatever international rates your carrier want to charge you and trust me, they will charge whatever the fuck they want assuming they even allow it in the first place!

Heed my words:  THEY ARE SCRWEING YOU!  Don't accept this bullshit!

This is something that annoys the hell out of a small group of people, but doesn't effect the large majority.

I've also never had Bluetooth latency while watching streaming videos, and it only affects my audio production after like 15 tracks.

9 minutes ago, Grungie said:

This is something that annoys the hell out of a small group of people, but doesn't effect the large majority.

I've also never had Bluetooth latency while watching streaming videos, and it only affects my audio production after like 15 tracks.

Then it's still a problem right?  You and Apple know perfectly well that Bluetooth has it's limitations in certain applications.  Removing a feature is not innovating.  They removed the headphone jack to save money, end of story.  They legitimacy could not care less about the end user experience because they know their end users don't care either.  A salesperson at an Apple store could take $1000 from a customer, in exchange they would literally shit on the customers hands and they would still clap!

6 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Then it's still a problem right?  You and Apple know perfectly well that Bluetooth has it's limitations in certain applications.  Removing a feature is not innovating.  They removed the headphone jack to save money, end of story.  They legitimacy could not care less about the end user experience because they know their end users don't care either.  A salesperson at an Apple store could take $1000 from a customer, in exchange they would literally shit on the customers hands and they would still clap!

It’s a small use case problem for me though. I also don’t mix audio on my phone. Neither are most people.

Tbh I don’t get what’s wrong with your logic:

>Big company tries to save money
>feature most users don’t care about

>removes feature

>?????

>profit

Though I will say the headphone jack is controversial, but the SIM card is irrelevant to average person. I personally don’t see a problem with removing features that aren’t used by a lot of people.

I do recall all of these phone manufacturers claiming the headphone jack removal was for real estate in their phones. I also don’t know how much money they save by putting the headphone dongle in the box. Samsung was the biggest one to shit on Apple for it, but quietly tried to hide their ads after they too dropped the headphone jack on products. It was also super sleazy when they claimed it was for real estate, but their first headphoneless phone was a Note. The comments were “so you can fit a stylus we won’t use, but not a headphone jack?”

I will say, tablets missing headphone jacks are sleazy, but I haven’t seen teardowns of those like I have phones. I should hit up ifixit to see if they’ll fit.

25 minutes ago, Grungie said:

Though I will say the headphone jack is controversial, but the SIM card is irrelevant to average person. I personally don’t see a problem with removing features that aren’t used by a lot of people.

What?  To the best of my knowledge the iPhone 14 in America is literally the only phone on the market that doesn't use a SIM card!  I know digital cards are coming but they are a sham, just another method of restricting consumer choice.

I've had a Redmi Note 9T for a couple of years.  It was pretty much the cheapest 5G phone I could find at about £200.  It has a headphone jack, SD Card Slot and Dual SIM.  Why the hell would spend £1000 on a new model that replaces all of these things with bits of filler plastic!  It's stupid!

3 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

What?  To the best of my knowledge the iPhone 14 in America is literally the only phone on the market that doesn't use a SIM card!  I know digital cards are coming but they are a sham, just another method of restricting consumer choice.

I've had a Redmi Note 9T for a couple of years.  It was pretty much the cheapest 5G phone I could find at about £200.  It has a headphone jack, SD Card Slot and Dual SIM.  Why the hell would spend £1000 on a new model that replaces all of these things with bits of filler plastic!  It's stupid!

The SIM card part is how many people actually swap SIM cards out on a regular enough basis. For the average person, the first and last time they touch their SIM is when they pop it in their new phone and that’s the end of it. Also, some phone models have different SIM cards than others, or even the previous model, so you end up getting a new SIM card anyway.

So unless you’re like a reviewer, or go on international travel that’s outside of your carrier’s coverage, does it really affect the person?

30 minutes ago, Grungie said:

The SIM card part is how many people actually swap SIM cards out on a regular enough basis. For the average person, the first and last time they touch their SIM is when they pop it in their new phone and that’s the end of it. Also, some phone models have different SIM cards than others, or even the previous model, so you end up getting a new SIM card anyway.

So unless you’re like a reviewer, or go on international travel that’s outside of your carrier’s coverage, does it really affect the person?

What if you're contract is up and instead of renewing it with the same network provider, you wanted to keep that phone and switch to a sim-only deal to save money? Or of you wanted to swich to another provider? Those options are gone with this bullshit. The only option the people conned into this have at this point is to take on an entirely new phone contract. Make no mistake, that is the sole purpose of this, to screw over the customer and remove options. Why can't you see that?

You acknowledging the growing list of issues with this. You admit that it's bad for people who travel, you admit it's bad for people who review phones or for one reason or another change phones frequently and it's bad for everyone once thier contract is near it's end.

So, and I really do want an answer to this, what is it it good for?

I have not seen you nor anyone list a single benefit to this, not one good thing. Apple are beyond scum. They charge people a fortune for mediocre products and customer service that would be considered awful from a thief.

Stop being a shill. Being a fan of something means demanding the very best from it, not blindly defending legitimate criticisms. Not that apple would listen, they make thier phones for the benefit of the network providers. Honestly, I can't believe anyone intelligent enough to dress themselves buy this crap.

Edited by Shagger

1 hour ago, Grungie said:

Your just not listening are you?  I'll try to be a bit more direct.  If you have an unlocked phone or one that has run it's contract period that uses physical SIM cards you can change your provider.  Without the SIM card slot your carrier can prevent you from doing this.  It's a greedy and anti-consumer practice.

3 hours ago, Shagger said:

What if you're contract is up and instead of renewing it with the same network provider, you wanted to keep that phone and switch to a sim-only deal to save money? Or of you wanted to swich to another provider? Those options are gone with this bullshit. The only option the people conned into this have at this point is to take on an entirely new phone contract. Make no mistake, that is the sole purpose of this, to screw over the customer and remove options. Why can't you see that?

You acknowledging the growing list of issues with this. You admit that it's bad for people who travel, you admit it's bad for people who review phones or for one reason or another change phones frequently and it's bad for everyone once thier contract is near it's end.

So, and I really do want an answer to this, what is it it good for?

I have not seen you nor anyone list a single benefit to this, not one good thing. Apple are beyond scum. They charge people a fortune for mediocre products and customer service that would be considered awful from a thief.

Stop being a shill. Being a fan of something means demanding the very best from it, not blindly defending legitimate criticisms. Not that apple would listen, they make thier phones for the benefit of the network providers. Honestly, I can't believe anyone intelligent enough to dress themselves buy this crap.

I’m not being a shill. My mindset is based on being in cybersecurity, and sysadmin type work, and doing audio production as a hobby, where I’m used to being around specialized equipment that have features that the average person doesn’t know/care about. Some of this was never available for regular consumer products, or have been long gone and only available in enterprise products.

So for the three things I mentioned earlier, I’m used to having to get equipment dedicated for each one. Except the audio production stuff, the other two are purchases where we save money (or make it back) for getting the specialized equipment. There’s a lot of “I need this at work, but I sure don’t need it at home”. Even at home I do things I’m aware that not many people do. I own 8 computers and 5 tablets, whereas most people just need a computer that gets on the internet, and does word docs unless they’re doing something more specialized like gaming, audio or video production. So having a product that’s generalized enough to cover more niche crowds feels like a jack of all trades, but master of none.

Tbh I didn’t think about getting out of your contract and getting a new phone. I’ll admit that will be a shit show for people. I’ve been on the same carrier for 15 years, so it’s something that you forget about after awhile. Though something like going on a lot of international business trips to me feels like the equivalent of thinking every laptop needs to be like a Panasonic Toughbook, or have the Thinkpad nub.

1 hour ago, Grungie said:

I’m not being a shill. My mindset is based on being in cybersecurity, and sysadmin type work, and doing audio production as a hobby, where I’m used to being around specialized equipment that have features that the average person doesn’t know/care about. Some of this was never available for regular consumer products, or have been long gone and only available in enterprise products.

So for the three things I mentioned earlier, I’m used to having to get equipment dedicated for each one. Except the audio production stuff, the other two are purchases where we save money (or make it back) for getting the specialized equipment. There’s a lot of “I need this at work, but I sure don’t need it at home”. Even at home I do things I’m aware that not many people do. I own 8 computers and 5 tablets, whereas most people just need a computer that gets on the internet, and does word docs unless they’re doing something more specialized like gaming, audio or video production. So having a product that’s generalized enough to cover more niche crowds feels like a jack of all trades, but master of none.

Tbh I didn’t think about getting out of your contract and getting a new phone. I’ll admit that will be a shit show for people. I’ve been on the same carrier for 15 years, so it’s something that you forget about after awhile. Though something like going on a lot of international business trips to me feels like the equivalent of thinking every laptop needs to be like a Panasonic Toughbook, or have the Thinkpad nub.

If I were you, I wouldn't throw around your background in technology in a debate like this. For a normal person to not think about this all they way through and miss how obviously problematic this can be is one thing, but for someone with your credentials it's frankly embarrassing. That's the the long way of saying I'm not impressed and couldn't care less as it doesn't explain why you're so keen to defend this practice anyway. In fact, until the last paragraph, you post doesn't address the topic at all, nor did you answer my question.

So I'll  try this again, and this time please don't reply unless you have answer.

What is the benefit of not having a SIM card slot in a phone? The only thing I can think of is that you don't have to put the SIM card in yourself, saving you 5 minutes every couple of years...

yaaay-saturday-night-live.gif.8e4d44b6672d291bb477abdc0933e42c.gif

Edited by Shagger

3 minutes ago, Shagger said:

If I were you, I wouldn't throw around your background in technology in a debate like this. For a normal person to not think about this all they way through and miss how obviously problematic this can be is one thing, but for someone with your credentials it's frankly embarrassing. That's the the long way of saying I'm not impressed and couldn't care less as it doesn't explain why you're so keen to defend this practice anyway. In fact, until the last paragraph, you post doesn't address the topic at all, nor did you answer my question.

So I'll  try this again, and this time please don't reply unless you have answer.

What is the benefit of not having a SIM card slot in a phone? The only thing I can think of is that you don't have to put the SIM card in yourself, saving you 5 minutes every couple of years...

yaaay-saturday-night-live.gif.8e4d44b6672d291bb477abdc0933e42c.gif

You can get rid of the physical SIM card and replace it with an eSIM card. You can swap carriers with eSIM cards, and store multiple carriers with eSIM cards. Instead of taking up space in your phone with dual SIM cards, (or store your other SIM card somewhere when it's not being used). 

The iPhone 14 utilizes an eSIM card, so your complaint about being trapped by your carrier is null (tbh you have to swap to a carrier that does support eSIMs, but as it becomes the new standard, it won't be an issue).

So honestly, it's actually more beneficial and convenient for international travelers. Though like I mentioned earlier, it looks like it's slim pickings outside of America at the moment:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209096

54 minutes ago, Grungie said:

You can get rid of the physical SIM card and replace it with an eSIM card. You can swap carriers with eSIM cards, and store multiple carriers with eSIM cards. Instead of taking up space in your phone with dual SIM cards, (or store your other SIM card somewhere when it's not being used). 

The iPhone 14 utilizes an eSIM card, so your complaint about being trapped by your carrier is null (tbh you have to swap to a carrier that does support eSIMs, but as it becomes the new standard, it won't be an issue).

So honestly, it's actually more beneficial and convenient for international travelers. Though like I mentioned earlier, it looks like it's slim pickings outside of America at the moment:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209096

Are you really this pissing ignorant?  I happen to know that T-Mobile have a $5 activation fee every time you activate your eSIM on another phone, and that not even counting the the initial activation fee's you incur when setting up you account  That's just one example and no, I'm not going to pick skeletons out the closet of every carrier that uses eSIM's since that's not the point.  Your trying to convince us that pushing eSIM's as a pro-consumer rhetoric but your simply wrong.  It's more restrictive and companies are absolutely taking advantage of people and extorting more money from then with it right now.

Even if you were right, getting SIM tray and replacing it with nothing is still completely inexcusable and makes no sense.  You can still have a phone that is eSIM compatible with the physical tray intact, Apple have been doing that exact thing for years.  So taking it away and replacing with a piece of plastic is still fucking ridiculous,