Register Now
melanie_marie27

Did your school/college offer Film Class?

Back at the community college, where I went straight after high school (and also worked there for a few years) they offered a Humanities course called "The Film as Art".

It was a great class! I took it twice. Because each semester, it covered different movie topics. And the whole class was in a big auditorium with a huge screen, very similar to a movie theater.

Did you ever take a film class in school?

HAH! I WISH.

Singapore is known for being inferior when it comes to film education because we just don't have a viable film industry here unlike in America, Europe, even Malaysia or Vietnam. We did have a video effects class in college that taught us Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premiere Pro (god that was boring). We also have your typical Audio & Video classes, but that's the closest you can get to holding a camera.

I had to sign up for private film schools and even that didn't get me anywhere close to the film industry. For shame. I've tried my hands on making my own films for years using a handheld cam I bought, but I've pretty much given up by now.

On 10/4/2022 at 4:38 PM, melanie_marie27 said:

I see. Ours was actually a college course that we'd sign up for. Many times, the class was already full! Everybody always wanted the 6-9 p.m. class.

Best time for film course.

That really sounds like fun - I wish I had something like that at college. The only thing we had were famous artists come to the weekly parties on campus and performing - I mean I did enjoy it but I'd have like something a tad different every now and then.

On 10/4/2022 at 10:38 PM, melanie_marie27 said:

I see. Ours was actually a college course that we'd sign up for. Many times, the class was already full! Everybody always wanted the 6-9 p.m. class.

Best time for film course.

We have a theater and arts department in my college and you didn't get to attend their classes unless you are student of the department, we didn't have like an extracurricular film class though.

At the school I went to they had drama but we were never offered any kind of film class, no. Even with drama we never really did anything that would have helped us get into any kind of acting at all which is a shame as I knew many people who would have loved to be actors or actresses in school at the time.