Register Now
NightmareFarm

Hades fans, sell me on Hades

Considering buying it since it's like £20 now and the reviews are extremely high. However, i'm not entirely sure if I will like it. I didn't like Darksiders Genesis which came out the same year and had the same isometrical design. The visuals look very tempting though I must admit.

What things about this game makes it a must play? Also how long does it take to beat?

Edited by NightmareFarm

It's gotten a ton of game of the year awards, even beating the likes of The Last of Us 2 I think. Didn't both games come out the same year? I forget. Anyway, I played a bit of Hades and from what I played, it was quite fun. But it can be very challenging. I didn't play it too long, but I could see why so many liked it. If I was better at it, I would have given it more of a chance. 

5 hours ago, Kane99 said:

It's gotten a ton of game of the year awards, even beating the likes of The Last of Us 2 I think. Didn't both games come out the same year? I forget. Anyway, I played a bit of Hades and from what I played, it was quite fun. But it can be very challenging. I didn't play it too long, but I could see why so many liked it. If I was better at it, I would have given it more of a chance. 

It looks like one of those games where you keep dying over and over before you're able to escape like Deathloop and Returnal.

1 hour ago, NightmareFarm said:

It looks like one of those games where you keep dying over and over before you're able to escape like Deathloop and Returnal.

Hades is one game where you would have to do more in order to get to the finishing line. It has won a couple of awards that proves that most of those that played it enjoyed doing so.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

lol - Couldn't you have waited for our response? On another note, how you enjoying the game so far?

Turned out I had more money than I expected when I checked my balance.

I'm about 3 hours in. I like it a lot so far and can see why it got such high reviews. The game feel, graphics, customisation etc all pretty good. I really like the gameplay loop of beating a level and then getting to choose which room to enter next to suit your needs. Lots of customisation possibilities. My only gripe is that the combat mechanics are a bit on the shallow end and most fights just boil down to mashing square and running and occasionally using my cast. It would be even better if you could take two weapons and insta swap between them like in devil may cry and get to upgrade them both. But it's pretty good so far anyway. It reminds me of when me and my relatives used to play Diablo as a kid without a memory card and we'd have to go back to the start each time we died. 

On 9/29/2022 at 10:00 PM, NightmareFarm said:

Yeah it's one of those types of games, similar to Dark Souls where you die you have to go back. From what I played, I died a lot, having to start over and over. But there are times where you get decent builds that get you far, but I never got too far in it. I wouldn't mind revisiting it one of these days though. 

14 hours ago, NightmareFarm said:

Fuck me this game is comfy. I completely slept on this one. 

Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far. 🙂 

On 10/19/2022 at 4:14 PM, Justin11 said:

I think it's time I ask you to sell me on Hades, I haven't played it before and don't really like too complex games as well.

You might like it then since the combat mechanics are very straightforward. The strategy/RPG elements start off very simple too but very slowly and gradually become more complex as you keep gaining new powers and modifiers each level. 

I find it hard to fully break down why I love this game but it feels like the high focus on progression, customability and micromanagement. The gameplay loop is you beat one of the dungeon levels, you then get shown the doors to two or three different levels with the prize(which gives you a specific resource for example gold which lets you buy stuff at shops, darkness which is a permanent resource you can save up to unlock permanent power ups, boons which power up your weapon, etc) for beating the level being showed at the top of the door. 

I also like that it's procedurally generated(levels are randomised) so that doing multiple runs doesn't get tedious. It's just all around a brilliant game and is an absolute steal for £20($25 if you live in the US). 

Edited by NightmareFarm

16 hours ago, NightmareFarm said:

I find it hard to fully break down why I love this game but it feels like the high focus on progression, customability and micromanagement. The gameplay loop is you beat one of the dungeon levels, you then get shown the doors to two or three different levels with the prize(which gives you a specific resource for example gold which lets you buy stuff at shops, darkness which is a permanent resource you can save up to unlock permanent power ups, boons which power up your weapon, etc) for beating the level being showed at the top of the door. 

I like how  beating a level gives you options to choose which level you would like to get in next and the benefits of beating that level.

I like straight forward game play where you know where you are going and how you could get there, less puzzles , maybe a few difficult bosses but nothing as hard as what you find in dark souls or sekiro shadows die twice.