Register Now
Kane99

RIP Stadia - Closing up January 2023

Well I'm sure we all predicted it, but Google's Stadia will be "Winding" down their services and closing up shop. They have decided to close Stadia. But the kicker, if you've purchased a Stadia device and games/add-ons, you will get a refund for everything. They plan to close the service down in January of 2023. They said that users can still play their games until this time, but once Jan 18th rolls around is when the service will end. They also expect to have refunds sent out near end of January 2023. 

RIP Stadia, we hardly knew ya. Oh and welcome to the Google product graveyard. 

Source - https://blog.google/products/stadia/message-on-stadia-streaming-strategy/

YES!...I mean that so sad to hear...we all thought it'd be a success - Said no one ever! No seriously, we all said it in various threads before Stadia's launch that it was going to fail miserably and so it has been. I'm just surprised Google took this long to officially shut it down.

1 hour ago, Kale said:

Good bye Stadia. I am not even surprised this happened at all. 

Not one bit - they were making some pretty unrealistic promises that would even put the most dishonest of politicians to shame.

Google Stadia couldn't compete in the gaming industry as a result of not spending much on getting the best business development managers on board. I mean, see how Sony sell most of their products fast and you will understand that Google underestimating the power of marketing was a wrong move.

I've seen a video from ReviewtechUSA that makes one think about this from another aspect, how this affects developers. I agree with what Rich says in this video that developers upset about Stadia shutting down should have seen this coming and prepared for it, but it's worth thinking about not only Stadia shutting down, but cloud gaming in general from thier perspective. So, it's an interesting video.

20 hours ago, Ajibusu said:

Google Stadia couldn't compete in the gaming industry as a result of not spending much on getting the best business development managers on board. I mean, see how Sony sell most of their products fast and you will understand that Google underestimating the power of marketing was a wrong move.

The problem with Google Stadia from the get-go is that Google overpromised and underdelivered. When there were valid questions raised about latency affecting their service, they lied and said latency wasn't a problem (this is just one example of the many lies they told prior to release). The other thing was the price - it was so flipping expensive! In the end, Google definitely got what they deserved.

I'm not surprised, but I am pissed. Stadia was SO EASY TO USE YOU GUYS. No waiting for updates to download and install. No waiting to just load the damn game, Its a click away from where I'm typing this, then another button press and I'm loading into Destiny right away.

I use a Mac, so it was a fantastic way for me to play games on the machine that I'm on all the time anyway instead of loading up another machine to do so. I am so freaking upset that this option is now going away.

Just few months to go, their is no motivation in playing the game when it will be relegated by January 2023. Those who are still playing any stadia game will be in a hurry to complete all the quest in the game before it's formal closure.