Register Now
Kane99

RIP Stadia - Closing up January 2023

11 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I merged these two topics as they are about the exact same thing. We don't need two separate threads when they are talking about the same thing at the same time.

As for Stadia, who gives a shit? It was a joke from the beginning.

I wouldn't call it a joke, more like a product before its time. Not everyone had the internet to run this service, and it lacked any decent games to pull in those who did have it.

20 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

I wouldn't call it a joke, more like a product before its time. Not everyone had the internet to run this service, and it lacked any decent games to pull in those who did have it.

The lack of games to make gamers go the extra mile for it was the problem. I've seen players go the extra mile to get internet connection for the game that they like. I do that most times. 

1 hour ago, Ajibusu said:

The lack of games to make gamers go the extra mile for it was the problem. I've seen players go the extra mile to get internet connection for the game that they like. I do that most times. 

Titles do make or break a system, as MS finally learned. But the constant connection Stadia required was beyond most people who lived out in the country.

On 10/1/2022 at 11:46 AM, Shagger said:

I've got to give Google credit for offering those refunds. I can say with absolute certainty that other companies would not have done the same.

Yup, most companies would have silently shut down and would have moved on. Especially considering that they seem to be honoring purchases from the start of the service, so 2 years or so. I can't imagine Microsoft, Sony or others honoring refunds from purchases 2 years ago. 

But, I think it's a bit different. Since there is no console/device that you can play said games on, it kinda makes more sense to refund people. Because I'm willing to bet that users would have thrown a fit if there was no way to play anything they purchased once the service ended. 

On 10/2/2022 at 3:57 AM, Demon_skeith said:

I would call it a joke myself. It wasn't about the service, it was more about Google not supporting the service. As in, not providing their own exclusive titles (they did, but it was wasn't much), as well as better priced games, and more options. Google didn't support the service like they promised, so we got a service that turned into a joke, because it wasn't offering anything worth ones time, especially since you can get most of the games for cheaper elsewhere. 

I wouldn't say the service itself is the joke, it's Google that is the joke here. 

18 hours ago, Ajibusu said:

They needed a ton of games, and they failed to bring enough in. If they had a good deal of exclusives and had more games to offer, I think Stadia could have succeeded, but they failed to deliver on the games and in turn failed. 

6 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yup, most companies would have silently shut down and would have moved on. Especially considering that they seem to be honoring purchases from the start of the service, so 2 years or so. I can't imagine Microsoft, Sony or others honoring refunds from purchases 2 years ago. 

But, I think it's a bit different. Since there is no console/device that you can play said games on, it kinda makes more sense to refund people. Because I'm willing to bet that users would have thrown a fit if there was no way to play anything they purchased once the service ended. 

I would call it a joke myself. It wasn't about the service, it was more about Google not supporting the service. As in, not providing their own exclusive titles (they did, but it was wasn't much), as well as better priced games, and more options. Google didn't support the service like they promised, so we got a service that turned into a joke, because it wasn't offering anything worth ones time, especially since you can get most of the games for cheaper elsewhere. 

I wouldn't say the service itself is the joke, it's Google that is the joke here. 

They needed a ton of games, and they failed to bring enough in. If they had a good deal of exclusives and had more games to offer, I think Stadia could have succeeded, but they failed to deliver on the games and in turn failed. 

Google is a joke to a point there is a site that lists all their failed projects. If it isn't a success out the door, they kill it.

11 minutes ago, Demon_skeith said:

Google is a joke to a point there is a site that lists all their failed projects. If it isn't a success out the door, they kill it.

I would say that they lack the drive to push for the long term with some of those projects. Not investing in talents has really dealt with their progress. 

Lack of ideas and too many business engagement cost Google so much and made them to forget about the product's innovation. When you aren't bringing new thing to the product and making it's users exciting to will fade away overtime, that's the main cause of stadia being relegated. 

On 10/4/2022 at 1:37 AM, Demon_skeith said:

Yup, I believe they call it the Google Graveyard or something along those lines. They've tried so many things over the years, and a lot of them failed within months. Stadia lasted a lot longer than I would have thought. 

On 10/4/2022 at 1:50 AM, Ajibusu said:

I would say that they lack the drive to push for the long term with some of those projects. Not investing in talents has really dealt with their progress. 

I think the problem Google has, is that they like to test things, like Google Glasses for example. I remember people saying these glasses would be the future, but they looked dumb and I guess people didn't really jump at it. In turn, Google peaced out on the idea and moved on. 

Once their testing is done, they like to scrap things. And I think that's what they did with a lot of their past services. Like Wave or Google+. 

When I heard about stadia from my manager during 2019, I was shocked on seeing the things that stadia is going to offer also saw a demo on stadia. Now it's sad to hear that the stadia is going to join the dropped projects list of Google. Hope something similar will come in future at affordable pricing.

16 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

I wonder if some people fought within google to keep it going for so long? I did think it be done a lot sooner.

I'm pretty sure they have a dedicated team that was put on Stadia, but that was probably all the support they got. If anything Stadia deserved a lot more support in order for it to succeed. 

11 hours ago, joblessdude said:

When I heard about stadia from my manager during 2019, I was shocked on seeing the things that stadia is going to offer also saw a demo on stadia. Now it's sad to hear that the stadia is going to join the dropped projects list of Google. Hope something similar will come in future at affordable pricing.

The idea of it is pretty cool, being able to stream games. The thing is, Stadia isn't the only one. Microsoft has Xcloud I think it is, and you can stream certain gamepass games. Amazon Luna is Amazon's answer to Stadia, and it seems to be doing quite well to this day. And I think Nvidia and others have their own streaming platforms. So there are many options available to you. 

6 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I'm pretty sure they have a dedicated team that was put on Stadia, but that was probably all the support they got. If anything Stadia deserved a lot more support in order for it to succeed. 

The idea of it is pretty cool, being able to stream games. The thing is, Stadia isn't the only one. Microsoft has Xcloud I think it is, and you can stream certain gamepass games. Amazon Luna is Amazon's answer to Stadia, and it seems to be doing quite well to this day. And I think Nvidia and others have their own streaming platforms. So there are many options available to you. 

I think Stadia got more support as it does take a lot to get what they wanted done off the ground, google for while there was laying down its own internet lines which I imagined was prepping for Stadia.

On 10/12/2022 at 6:29 AM, Demon_skeith said:

I wonder if some people fought within google to keep it going for so long? I did think it be done a lot sooner.

It should have gone a while ago. I understand they always push harder to get things working pretty fine, but do they have the talent?

On 10/1/2022 at 3:38 PM, The Blackangel said:

As for Stadia, who gives a shit? It was a joke from the beginning.

We all said that even before it launched - they overpromised and woefully underdelivered. I'm glad it failed and I hope Google leaves the gaming industry for good because we already have enough greedy companies in this sphere.