Register Now
Crazycrab

Do you wanna pay $70 for Skyrim? F**K Nintendo!

It's also kinda annoying how games are getting more expensive over the years. I remember when the most I had to pay for a game was maybe $59.99. I guess this is inflation in effect, but I'm not economics expert.

On 10/1/2022 at 10:26 PM, The Blackangel said:

Another thing, is a mental game. All too often, people think that price equals quality. If one game is $30, and another game is $70, they think the $70 game is better than the $30 game. That's not true at all. Maybe the $70 is more popular, but the $30 game is hands down better in the eyes of the gaming community. Still they go for the most expensive because they trust the developers, when we all know is a fools errand.

I agree. It's literally been proven on YouTube by SomeOrdinaryGamers, at least with Playstation games, that the physical copy of a game could have two different prices (or more) depending on which outlet or which country's version of Amazon you're browsing, so there's really no reason why I would pay more for the same game, especially if I don't use Switch that often in the first place. It's like they're charging high prices for people who only own the Switch and nothing else just to take advantage of that, except that I don't know that many people who only owns one console, and even if they do, I wouldn't imagine the Switch users to be loyal Skyrim fans considering the franchise's origin on the PC (or The Elder Scrolls: Arena on the MS-DOS if you want to get technical). It's like porting Diablo 2 to the Switch and charging it for $70.

As I've said before, considering their exclusives like Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, and maybe Xenoblade Chronicles, the Switch has always felt like a family demographic console, not something gamers like TES fans would be passionate about purchasing. It just seems like a mismatch of demographics. I get that the Switch has tried to tap into the more mature audiences with their Doom (2016) port, but look how well that turned out with its performance issues. The Switch and Nintendo just can't cut it outside of their established demographics.

Edited by Akun

Another thing I don't get is about preowned games. For example, let's say that a new copy of a game is $70. But there is a preowned copy next to it for $50. What is wrong with buying the used copy? A lot of people will look at the used copy in disgust, and waste the extra money for a used copy. I don't even know the number of games I've bought that were preowned games. It has to be in the hundreds at least.

So if I want a game, and can save money by buying a preowned copy, I go for it. There's no reason not to. I go the Dark Pictures Anthology: House Of Ashes recently that was a used copy, and it was about half the price of a new one. DPA is an awesome series. I already had Little Hope, and Man Of Medan. Great games.

18 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Another thing I don't get is about preowned games. For example, let's say that a new copy of a game is $70. But there is a preowned copy next to it for $50. What is wrong with buying the used copy? A lot of people will look at the used copy in disgust, and waste the extra money for a used copy. I don't even know the number of games I've bought that were preowned games. It has to be in the hundreds at least.

I guess it's that feeling of ownership. It does make more sense if it's a brand new console you'd prefer to buy because a used console could have a number of problems, but with games, I do agree that there aren't a lot of reasons not to buy used games for a cheaper price... except for, again, that feeling of ownership. I remember going out of my way to buy many physical games from the local game shops, including Fire Emblem games for the Switch, and buying used copies of the games just didn't come to mind because the whole reason I buy physical games in the first place is to have it displayed on my shelf as an expression of my identity and the kind of games I play, sort of like decorating your home in accordance to what kind of person you want to present yourself as. Buying used games does kinda defeat that purpose because it wouldn't be something I get to maintain and clean and ensure that the box is scratch-free as a decorative display item the same way I wouldn't buy a scratched vase for display.

Edited by Akun

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

So if I want a game, and can save money by buying a preowned copy, I go for it. There's no reason not to. I go the Dark Pictures Anthology: House Of Ashes recently that was a used copy, and it was about half the price of a new one. DPA is an awesome series. I already had Little Hope, and Man Of Medan. Great games.

There’s multiple facets to that. Some people want to lord over you like you’re poor for buying the used game, but on the other hand, if you buy a used game, the developer doesn’t get the money.

If it’s a disc game, you might have to worry about scratches, or maybe if you’re into complete games, stuff missing.

I just buy whatever.

New versions of Skyrim shouldn't be going for $70. I'd say $30 max is the price I see being fair, considering this game is on everything at this point, I don't see why they would charge $70 for it. 

I see the anniversary edition going for $70, while the standard digital and physical versions are going for $60. Still, too expensive imo, when we already have remastered versions going for cheap. 

On top of that, I imagine Skyrim on Switch doesn't play the greatest, at least compared to PC and other consoles. 

23 hours ago, runswithspatulas said:

yeah i know. i just don't understand why the games are more expensive on the switch and it's like way smaller and way less powerful than like the xbox and ps right?

I think its mostly the Skyrim publisher being greedy as hell. I wouldn't pay that much for such an old game to begin with on any system.

On 9/30/2022 at 10:46 AM, Crazycrab said:

Well here's some Nintendo Switch related bullshit to brighten up your day:

https://kotaku.com/elder-scrolls-skyrim-nintendo-switch-anniversary-1849599263

In case your not aware the Anniversary Edition of Skyrim is basically the same as the Special Edition except it's got The Creation Club content included.  Creation Club is where you go to pay money for user created mods instead of going to Nexus Mods to get far superior content for free because.... your a jackass. The Anniversary Edition is something like £15/$20 upgrade or £43/$50 full purchase on PC Steam for this over a decade old game and it's almost universally agreed by Stream users that this clearly not worth it.  Yet not only is it $70 on the Nintendo Switch, as I can tell there's no option to upgrade either!  It's the full whack $69.99 even if you own the Special Edition already.

I genuinely don't understand how Nintendo keep getting away with charging such a premium which has happened multiple times.  Why are games so expensive on the Switch when in many cases the ports are inferior?  This is ridiculous.

Small Correction here.  I couldn't see it on the browser version of the EShop (probably because I don't have the game on Switch) but it turns out you can upgrade for $20.  However, the upgrade path is still cheaper on PC and the other consoles.

15 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

Small Correction here.  I couldn't see it on the browser version of the EShop (probably because I don't have the game on Switch) but it turns out you can upgrade for $20.  However, the upgrade path is still cheaper on PC and the other consoles.

Either way, it's still not worth that kind of money.

Before anybody starts, they did say they were going to do this so it shouldn't be much of a surprise but it's an 11 year old game! To my fellow Switch owners, do not pay the $70 - the added content isn't even worth the $20 upgrade on PC. Not to mention that most of the same old bugs from the original game 11 years ago are still present and on top of that, you don't get to use mods and has performance issues. This is beyond a ripoff at this point, it's a downright travesty - Bugthesda has gone too far. I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts down below about this scam - that's the only thing I can call it.

14 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Before anybody starts, they did say they were going to do this so it shouldn't be much of a surprise but it's an 11 year old game! To my fellow Switch owners, do not pay the $70 - the added content isn't even worth the $20 upgrade on PC. Not to mention that most of the same old bugs from the original game 11 years ago are still present and on top of that, you don't get to use mods and has performance issues. This is beyond a ripoff at this point, it's a downright travesty - Bugthesda has gone too far. I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts down below about this scam - that's the only thing I can call it.

I've merged your thread with this existing one as they are about the same thing.

My Switch Lite can run it just fine, but I’m sure they cut corners and removed several things to get it down enough so the hardware could run it. The Switch is a great machine, but let’s be realistic. It’s nowhere near the power and capabilities of PlayStation, Xbox, and PC. Especially PC. So while the game is on the system, it has to be a condensed version. That’s the only way I can see how it works.