Register Now
StaceyPowers

Sequels becoming exclusives

I was quite peeved today when I finally looked into The Outer Worlds 2 and saw it is an Xbox/PC exclusive (having just finished the first game on PS5). I worry about this happening with Elder Scrolls and Fallout as well since Microsoft bought all these studios.

Anyone else feel it is totally lame not to continue releasing series on their original platforms?

This has, sadly, been a common occurrence even before this, like with Bayonetta 2 on Nintendo Switch. Worse, this is only going to become more commonplace with Microsoft buying up companies like Bethesda and Activision/Blizzard. I'm not saying it's not a pile of rancid bullshit, because it is, but complaining about it is not going to change anything. 

Edited by Shagger

I agree. I've said this before, but with both consoles running the same chipset now, there is no longer a legitimate reason for exclusives to exist. What's even worse is when companies paywall the next part of a remake/remaster behind the purchase of a new console, like what S-E just did with part 2 of the FFVII remake. It's not even a sequel, it's part 2 of the remake I already purchased on PS4.

I've always been against this whole exclusive thing especially when it comes to multi platform games - They will do this in cases where the primary audience is a niche set of players - Outworld is an example. They won't try this with COD because they stand to lose lots of money by making it an exclusive.

Yeah, it is pretty screwed up. I could understand releasing ports on PC because that's the only way I'd ever play Red Dead Redemption 1, but the console exclusivity of sequels hurts the player fanbase that supported you in the first place. "Don't you guys have an XBox/Playstation/Money?" Yeah, we do, but we supported you through a specific platform to begin with, whether it's PC or the Switch. Don't screw us over by goading us into buying another console we might not need. You're literally asking us to pay $500 or more just to play your stupid sequel.

But studios will just keep doing this because it's a good business move, ethics be damned. If there's money to be made from cashing in on a more popular platform and making it an exclusive, you'll be damn sure they'll do it. It's just how things run now, apparently, studios trying to revitalize the old console war when there's 100 PC ports of console games on Steam. It's ridiculous.

I've seen this with a handful of titles I play, but most of the time it drops on other platforms after X years or so (think, Death Stranding for example which was a launch Sony exclusive but now is on every other platform).

On 10/1/2022 at 8:10 AM, Demon_skeith said:

Seems like down the line they tend to get released onto other systems, MS seems keen on releasing some of their stuff on Nintendo.

They (Microsoft) release their games on other platforms while neglecting the Playstation platform. I don't even understand the feud that they have with Sony.

Soon enough it will become boring though. Microsoft shouldn't prioritize making all video games under their affiliation as exclusive, depriving other gaming companies right to host the games via their own platforms. Their are others enjoying such kind of games via play station platforms, and would like to continue with sequels of those games and not being restricted unexpectedly due to Microsoft acquisition of the respective studios that made those games. 

7 hours ago, Justin11 said:

Soon enough it will become boring though. Microsoft shouldn't prioritize making all video games under their affiliation as exclusive, depriving other gaming companies right to host the games via their own platforms. Their are others enjoying such kind of games via play station platforms, and would like to continue with sequels of those games and not being restricted unexpectedly due to Microsoft acquisition of the respective studios that made those games. 

I don't think they have any plans to make all their games exclusives. I mean that will simply mean some gamers abandoning their platform out of rage. 

17 hours ago, Ajibusu said:

They (Microsoft) release their games on other platforms while neglecting the Playstation platform. I don't even understand the feud that they have with Sony.

Sony is their only real competitor. Would be awesome if MS just gave up on Xbox, focused on PC releasing and ported their software to the PlayStation to also be played.

There will always be exclusives. I do think that Sony has wised up to the PC market, and will start releasing their games delayed on PC, but they won't ever release the games on Xbox too (first party stuff, situations like Bungie are obviously different)

7 hours ago, Ajibusu said:

I don't think they have any plans to make all their games exclusives. I mean that will simply mean some gamers abandoning their platform out of rage. 

I just hope it goes the way you've said. Because if at the end it goes contrary, personally, I wouldn't like tbe step, I'll just stick to the games with play station license, that's all.