Register Now
Akun

Ask Akun

6 hours ago, NightmareFarm said:

Favourite game

The Mass Effect trilogy, specifically Mass Effect 2. I love games where the players' choices have very clear impacts on the plot (instead of the cheap "we mention your choices but it's irrelevant to the plot"). Mass Effect 2 had quite a few important choices that get carried over to the third game, specifically your decision on the genophage cure and killing or rewriting the heretic Geths. Your squad mates who didn't survive the suicide mission also don't appear in the third game, but I feel like that's kinda a superficial consequence because squadmates appearing won't affect the plot as significantly as the above two options I mentioned, and your sacrifice of those squad mates for whatever reasons wouldn't get questioned.

But such a game mechanic is also why I love Detroit: Become Human, because it has dozens of unique and distinct endings very different from one another depending on your choices. I feel like a lot of studios that want to do games where "choices matter" could learn a lot from Quantic Dream's design for DBH.

1 minute ago, DC said:

@Akun What's the single best piece of advice you ever received?

That's a difficult question to answer to be honest because 1) I don't get along with most people well enough to either receive advice from them or remember their advice in the first place, and 2) I'm very obstinate and stubborn, preferring to do things my way rather than following other people's advices. It's not the best way to live your life, I know... but it is what it is, my flawed personality.

But I have taken inspirational life lessons from others... unfortunately, those "others" are all fictional. It's not something I like to admit, because it's so embarrassing, but most of what I've learned about life came from movies, not my parents. My parents fed and clothed me, but they weren't the ideal parental figures, and their "problematic" ways of physical and verbal abuse led me to become an anxious kid with tons of self-esteem issues. Everything I know about love, friendship, loyalty, equality, the English language, and all the fine principles of being a person with integrity, I picked them up by myself through American movies I grew up with as a kid... and also Spider-Man cartoons/movies/comics. 😆 

So if I have taken any piece of advice, it's from movies. My memory is horrible, so I can't name you any specific examples. But I have a feeling that my current way of lifestyle was inspired by someone else, maybe not even a fictional character. I remember a few figures in the past who had a very carefree lifestyle, just taking things one step at a time and enjoying the present rather than trouble themselves with an ambitious future. I remember a quote somewhere that said that happiness is a state of mind, and how happiness is being content with whom you are and content with your life, rather than what you wish your life to be. That's how I've lived my life now and it feels like my life has improved a lot since when I've stopped chasing fruitless dreams of being a filmmaker in Singapore, just enjoying the scenery of my life while treating my anxiety disorder with therapy. So I'm thankful for that, whomever inspired my life to be this way. I do feel that this is a good way to handle my anxiety problems and my anger issues; maybe not the best way, but it works.

5 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

You can't change the people around you, but you can change the people around you.

Yeah, that's good advice, and it's also how I ended up in this forum. I had some problems with NintendoLife forum (in regards to free speech and my criticisms of mainstream media I won't get into here), so I left because I got tired of it and just wanted a fresh start somewhere else. It's also why I try to keep my more controversial views to myself this time (with varying success) because I just want a nice relaxing place to discuss unimportant video game topics.