Register Now
NightmareFarm

How would you rank the metal gear games you've played? Why?

IMO:

#1 - Metal Gear Solid 2. Has arguably the greatest and deepest gaming plot of all time. The graphics are very advanced for it's time and hold up perfectly. Best OST of the MGS games. Tight gameplay. Stealth moments feel exhilirating rather than a chore like it does in some of the other games like 3 and 5. I also like the metroidvania like level design compared to following games where you just keep moving forward and not going back to old locations to open up new areas. 

#2 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Hack n Slash is my favourite genre and this game feels like a very unique and fun iteration of the genre whilst retaining elements from the MGS series like stealth kills. I love mechanics such as blade mode, zandatsu and the overall badass feeling that pretty much no other game can compare to in that sense besides the modern DOOM games. The OST is just banger after banger. Only issue I would say the game has is an inconsistent frame rate and a lackluster story with cartoony evil villains that get very little screentime but the gameplay is the main focus anyway. 

#3 - Tie between Metal Gear Solid 3 and 5. I can't decide which is better. MGS3 has a much better story(MGS5 doesn't even feel like it has one at times) and more tight gameplay. MGS5 is a huge open world sandbox which feels great with all the freedom it gives you and the rich fox engine. However,  5 can feel frustrating a lot of the time. I feel like the game is very strict with how far away enemies can hear you(like miles away) and despite having so many tools at your disposal it just feels like the optimal strategy just boils down to tranq or KO and drag enemy away rinse and repeat with next soldier. Bosses are downright terrible. Then 3 has constant menus and very long alert times. Both are great games but also have their flaws. I'll just leave it as a tie. 

#4 - Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. I thought it was OK. Not great, not terrible but still a worthwhile play. The bosses were fun although some of them were too spongey. 

#5 - Metal Gear Solid 1. Played it way too long ago to judge. Wasn't bad though. 

#6 - Metal Gear Solid 4. This is the only one I dislike. The first two acts were good and it felt like they nailed the gameplay formula. Then came act 3 where you have to do a very yawn-inducing tailing mission which felt confusing followed up by a tedious bike chase and boring boss fight. Then act 4 is just going back to shadow moses and runnig around in the base killing a bunch of robot spiders. The rex vs ray fight at the end was cool but that's about it. Then act 5 is another annoying gimmick stage rather than traditional stealth gameplay with a boring boss fight. As for the plot, I seldom found myself interested in anything other than raidens scenes and snake meeting ocelot. The game felt too melodramatic and off the rails for my liking. Also why are nanomachines basically magic now? 

Edited by NightmareFarm

I never really played all Metal Gear editions, only few of them I've played. Namely;

* Metal Gear Solid 'V' Ground Zeroes, *Metal Gear 'Survived'

* Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance 

These are the three metal gear solid series games I've played to date. Choosing by their performance, I'll go for the third one on the list. The plot of the game added real suspense in the game, full of dramas. 

12 hours ago, Justin11 said:

I never really played all Metal Gear editions, only few of them I've played. Namely;

* Metal Gear Solid 'V' Ground Zeroes, *Metal Gear 'Survived'

* Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance 

These are the three metal gear solid series games I've played to date. Choosing by their performance, I'll go for the third one on the list. The plot of the game added real suspense in the game, full of dramas. 

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance was a nice metal gear game that I played as well. The war part made it exciting and I feel like playing it again soon.

On 10/3/2022 at 4:49 AM, Ajibusu said:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance was a nice metal gear game that I played as well. The war part made it exciting and I feel like playing it again soon.

That's the actions I'm talking about that drove suspense into my life when I played it. I am thinking also to play the game again, what a game it was in the past when I played it. 

From the games I did play, mostly MGS 2 & 3, I will have to go with 3 being my favorite, simply because of its grand scale. Also MGS 2 loses some points for trying to push Raiden on me. Yeah he got a bit cooler later on, but I wanted to play as Snake, and we didn't get much of that. 

Which is why I prefer MG3, because It's Big Boss all the way through, and I don't have to play as some unknown character out of the blue. Oh and that story, and the villains, top tier imo. 

I still need to play the original game all the way through one of these days. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

From the games I did play, mostly MGS 2 & 3, I will have to go with 3 being my favorite, simply because of its grand scale. Also MGS 2 loses some points for trying to push Raiden on me. Yeah he got a bit cooler later on, but I wanted to play as Snake, and we didn't get much of that. 

Which is why I prefer MG3, because It's Big Boss all the way through, and I don't have to play as some unknown character out of the blue. Oh and that story, and the villains, top tier imo. 

I still need to play the original game all the way through one of these days. 

I must be like the only person in the world who preferred Raiden to Snake lol. 

25 minutes ago, NightmareFarm said:

Nah, I think there's a devoted fanbase for Raiden out there, it's just that they kinda did a bait and switch. When they promoted the game, they made it look like it'd feature Snake, as they didn't want to reveal Raiden, as it'd be a spoiler. It's probably good they didn't, because I think the reason they didn't reveal Raiden as the main character, is because fans would end up changing their mind about getting it. 

But yeah, I liked Raiden in that Metal Gear Rising game, at least from the brief time I played it. But before it took me a while to get into him as a character. 

9 hours ago, NightmareFarm said:

In MGS2 when he was introduced there were 2 major problems:

Number 1: All the promotional material including the playable demo only ever showed Snake.  When the game came out and the fans realized they played most of the game as some other character many of them felt like they were mislead.

Number 2:  In my opinion definitely the much bigger issue, Raiden was a whiner!  He spend most of MGS2 in his codec moaning and complaining!  This didn't exactly warm him up to fans very well.

I get what Kojima was going for with the guy, he wanted the to see snake from the perspective as a mentor, someone to look up and aspire to.  It worked fine for Snake but it made Raiden look like such a bitch!  He clearly knew he fuck up because fixed it in MGS4 by making Raiden... pretty much the exact opposite to what he was.

Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid V, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear, Metal Gear Portable Ops, Metal Gear Ghost Babel, Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear Ac!d 2, Metal Gear Ac!d, Snake's Revenge

On 10/5/2022 at 12:08 PM, Empire said:

Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid V, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear, Metal Gear Portable Ops, Metal Gear Ghost Babel, Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear Ac!d 2, Metal Gear Ac!d, Snake's Revenge

You've played practically all metal gear solid game ever released, I can't say same for myself because I am only a periodic fan and only get a new MGS Game if it is trending or I just picked Interest in it by virtue of recommendation.

• Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - absolutely compelling experience plus we got to see younger versions of certain characters such as Revolver Ocelot who was a naive rookie. Very compelling story.
  • Metal Gear Solid - the game that really got me hook to Metal Gear and Gray Fox has always been my favorite character since.
  • Metal Gear Solid 4 - Getting to see an aged Solid Snake take on his final mission is really something and also Raiden coming to terms with his past and his personal life and moving forward.
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 - It did thicken the plot onwards from the original Metal Gear Solid and we finally got to see another Metal Gear machine. To me, the story was less interesting than the original game but we got to meet cool new characters such as Raiden.
  • Metal Gear Solid 5 - We finally got a game about Big Boss and I did like the mechanics in terms of upgrading your base and what not. I still do play this from time to time.
  • Metal Gear - Revengeance - It's not bad at all but the story didn't really captivate me as much. It was cool to play as Raiden and the action was amazing but the story was a bit lacking.