Register Now
StaceyPowers

Sony is worried about Microsoft Buying Activision

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/playstation-boss-jim-ryan-flew-to-brussels-to-voice-concerns-to-eu-over-xboxs-activision-deal/

“PlayStation boss Jim Ryan reportedly flew to Brussels last month to meet with European Union regulators currently scrutinising Microsoft’s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard.”

Basically, Phil Spencer said that COD would be on PlayStation for “several more years.” The implication is that after that, it would be a Microsoft exclusive. This has Sony worried.

I'm not surprised they're worried. If it becomes an Xbox exclusive, Sony is going to lose millions of dollars in game revenue. When a game goes from universal to platform exclusive, it loses a hell of a lot of gamers. I know a couple people that refuse to play anything on PlayStation. I personally don't like Xbox, but I still play on it. So if they take CoD, and make it an exclusive, everyone is going to suffer. They may make some money, but if they release it for everyone, they will exponentially more money doing that. Making it an exclusive game, is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard of when it comes to gaming.

They should be worried because it gonna pull off hell of gamers away from them. It's weird if Xbox makes COD an exclusive series, I wouldn't be happy with that either, because I'm a play station fan. But wouldn't consider buying an Xbox console since I'm settled with other much valued games. 

Microsoft only bought Activision because they wanted something that could turn Xbox division as a whole profitable on the quarterly financials. This is why there is no plan on making Call of Duty exclusive, even after any contract ends with Sony. It makes them far too much money, and would ruin the point of their acquisition.

Isn't this kinda old news? I thought Sony was already worried and annoyed by Microsoft's recent acquisition and attempts at acquisition. 

It's a fair thing to be worried about. MS is buying up these big studios that are known to be multiplatform, and now there is a chance that Sony may no longer get these games if Microsoft decide to make the future games Xbox/PC exclusive. I don't think that will happen, but it could happen years from now. 

6 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Isn't this kinda old news? I thought Sony was already worried and annoyed by Microsoft's recent acquisition and attempts at acquisition. 

It's a fair thing to be worried about. MS is buying up these big studios that are known to be multiplatform, and now there is a chance that Sony may no longer get these games if Microsoft decide to make the future games Xbox/PC exclusive. I don't think that will happen, but it could happen years from now. 

Why can't Sony make moves to have a stake in other big studios as well. It is more like Microsoft are doing what they have to do to ensure that they are in business after Sony dominated for a number of years.

I can fully understand why Sony would be worried about COD becoming a Microsoft Exclusive. Every year without fail, Call of Duty always has huge amounts of sales and Sony losing that on their systems would definitely be a hit to them financially. I personally myself have gone off Call of Duty over the last few years due to the lack of new ideas that they bring to the game and the game always seems like a copy and paste of the previous with a few changes, however, I feel once Microsoft finalize the deal with Activision that will give Microsoft more lea-way to hopefully split how often the games are released and bring more new stuff to the game. If Microsoft are able to do that and it does increase the game sales a lot more it may be more of a kick in the teeth to Sony if it does become Microsoft exclusive and they probably have that on their mind which is what is adding more to the concern about them losing it as an exclusive.

On 10/27/2022 at 5:08 PM, Shortie said:

I can fully understand why Sony would be worried about COD becoming a Microsoft Exclusive. Every year without fail, Call of Duty always has huge amounts of sales and Sony losing that on their systems would definitely be a hit to them financially. I personally myself have gone off Call of Duty over the last few years due to the lack of new ideas that they bring to the game and the game always seems like a copy and paste of the previous with a few changes, however, I feel once Microsoft finalize the deal with Activision that will give Microsoft more lea-way to hopefully split how often the games are released and bring more new stuff to the game. If Microsoft are able to do that and it does increase the game sales a lot more it may be more of a kick in the teeth to Sony if it does become Microsoft exclusive and they probably have that on their mind which is what is adding more to the concern about them losing it as an exclusive.

I think this would affect both parties because the good number of COD fans uses the PlayStation station console so if Activision makes it an Xbox exclusives then they will expect a sales drop as well.