Register Now
DC

What are the best video games based on tabletop games?

What are your favorite video games that are based on tabletop games? What made them a satisfying adaptation in that medium? For that matter, what tabletop games do you like that were based on video games?

I'm honestly not too into tabletop games. I've tried, but never had the patience for most complex board games and or tabletop games. If you want the best of the best for tabletop games, I suggest checking out Tabletop Simulator, which lets you play many different type of tabletop/board games. They even allow you to mod it and make your own games, or even make your own version of popular games.

18 hours ago, Empire said:

The old 'The Dark Eye' video gamed are quite close to playing the tabletop version. They are called Blade of Destiny, Star Trail and Shadows over Riva.

Mine would be the Planescape: Torment was wildly unique. The setting takes one to a city known as Sigil, situated at the middle of all other planes of existence. Here, you can experience angels,demons and automatons. I will rank it as one of the best video games that is in this category. 

9 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

Unless DnD counts, I never really played any but they do look fun.

Yeah DnD counts, technically it's a tabletop game, so it counts. As well, it has other video games out there if I'm not mistaken, so it's not just the tabletop style I believe. I believe they have a dungeon crawler game as well. 

tabletop can also mean boardgames, so essentially your favorite board games. I know Tabletop Simulator on Steam for example, has mods for popular board games and many other strategy, puzzle, etc. They even have Among Us style board games. 

14 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah DnD counts, technically it's a tabletop game, so it counts. As well, it has other video games out there if I'm not mistaken, so it's not just the tabletop style I believe. I believe they have a dungeon crawler game as well. 

tabletop can also mean boardgames, so essentially your favorite board games. I know Tabletop Simulator on Steam for example, has mods for popular board games and many other strategy, puzzle, etc. They even have Among Us style board games. 

Gotcha, well I just started playing DnD and it really is a worthwhile game to play and pretty fun if the DM is good.

13 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

Gotcha, well I just started playing DnD and it really is a worthwhile game to play and pretty fun if the DM is good.

I wish I could get invested in it myself. I have friends who like DnD and I know they'd teach me, I just don't like the pressure that comes with it. Same with any type of strategy game out there, if it involves a lot of people, I'm going to have a tough time with it. I can't compete with others when it comes to most of these games. I'm a slow learner and also slow at play, so I would only cause others annoyances if I played lol. 

11 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I wish I could get invested in it myself. I have friends who like DnD and I know they'd teach me, I just don't like the pressure that comes with it. Same with any type of strategy game out there, if it involves a lot of people, I'm going to have a tough time with it. I can't compete with others when it comes to most of these games. I'm a slow learner and also slow at play, so I would only cause others annoyances if I played lol. 

Depends on the DM, I'm in a group of five people, we're taking it slow so me and another person can get on board. It's not hard, just tedious at times.

On 10/10/2022 at 12:24 AM, Demon_skeith said:

Unless DnD counts, I never really played any but they do look fun.

I was just about to say that - I have played DnD tabletop a couple of times as a kid and Baldur's Gate is a DnD game. I don't really know of any other popular tabletop game that has any good videogame releases.

I had a blast playing Space Hulk: Deathwing. It seemed to work really well as an FPS. Sure I wish the devs could've polished the game a lot more and gotten rid of some game-breaking bugs (like the damn auto turrets on the last mission that started firing on me long before the loading screen finished), but mowing down hordes of charging tyranids with the heavy flamer was pure joy.

When you say  table tops games are you referring to board games or literally all games that aren't handhelds.

Well I would say GTA, motoGp, FIFA are my favorite electronic tabletop adaptation games and I am always interested in the real life representation of car racing sports and soccer.