Register Now
StaceyPowers

What is Microsoft/Xbox’s stance on exclusives these days?

I feel like Microsoft/Xbox give a lot of mixed signals about exclusives. On one hand, I read Phil Spencer saying somewhere within the past year that he thinks exclusives are going to phase out of existence in the future. On the other hand, Microsoft keeps buying studios and making exclusives, including in series that were previously not exclusive. Thoughts?

Well, I doubt Phil is Microsoft, as in he might not have been responsible for what the shareholders decide in terms of buying studios. Usually, backroom politics come into play when it comes to business decisions like that, and a lot of people tend to forget that being the head of the company (or CEO even) doesn't mean you get a say in everything.

Edited by Akun

What Phil said might just be the smokescreen, which must have been the reason a lot of the big guys at Sony has been screaming out foul play. Microsoft know that exclusives will give them power and they are pushing to have that control. 

It's indeed foul play, because other platforms wouldn't have the chance to prioritize the games made exclusive by Microsoft on their own platform. It will be a disaster, because Xbox will license those games to run only on their own platform. 

Microsoft is shady as hell. They're buying up everything that they can, so they can charge extortionate prices if any other studio like Sony or Nintendo show interest in one of their games. Sure, having exclusives is fine. We're never going to see a Mario or Zelda game on any system other than Nintendo. I'm not including the ones that were leased out to the CD-i, or watch games. So I see no problem with having a couple exclusives. But with games like CoD, if they make that exclusive then everyone who plays it online from another platform is going to be royally fucked. Their link to the game is gone. I don't want to be forced to buy a whole new console for one single game. That's bullshit.

Right now we don't know what they have planned. So far they have said they will continue to release games like Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, Fallout etc on PlayStation/Nintendo. But that could always change. I know Sony has exclusivity deals with Call of Duty, that they get the new maps/content first. And I believe those deals are still active. Which means MS has to play exclusive to Sony in a way.

Idk why you're being downvoted. It's true, ps has paid many devs to keep games console locked. Recent example was stray, which didn't release for xbox. These malpratices are finally catching up to sony. If cod gets console locked, ps sales will take a huge dent since xbox has always been a more powerful system than ps and cod and fifa is like half their playerbase, exclusives only gives them a bit of edge and only now they're learning how profitable it is to not keep games console locked but they're still selling years old games at full price.

On 10/10/2022 at 4:33 PM, Kane99 said:

Right now we don't know what they have planned. So far they have said they will continue to release games like Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, Fallout etc on PlayStation/Nintendo. But that could always change. I know Sony has exclusivity deals with Call of Duty, that they get the new maps/content first. And I believe those deals are still active. Which means MS has to play exclusive to Sony in a way.

This is where Sony had them tight. It is simply a power play and I am looking at who is going to come on tops in the next few years. I strongly doubt that exclusives will be phased out by the way.

Thing is, Xbox is having a great time with how well received game pass is. That's why I feel like they're pulling ahead of Sony these days. They have a decent exclusives list, it's just that a lot of their exclusives are smaller titles it seems. But gamepass is the main selling point for Xbox consoles. 

On 10/25/2022 at 7:59 PM, Kane99 said:

Thing is, Xbox is having a great time with how well received game pass is. That's why I feel like they're pulling ahead of Sony these days. They have a decent exclusives list, it's just that a lot of their exclusives are smaller titles it seems. But gamepass is the main selling point for Xbox consoles. 

Games are ranked by the number of sales and been an exclusive indicates that consoles which are not Microsoft made won't be able to play those games and that could reduce the sale.

Exclusive make a console more valuable since individuals who are interested in that particular video game would want to purchase the console so they can play the exclusive games just like what PlayStation did with demon soul remake and returnal exclusive on ps5.