Register Now
StaceyPowers

Are controls in games getting too elaborate?

So, I love everything about RDR 2 so far (which I just started playing) except for the controls, which I find extremely elaborate (I mean, there are even nested control schemes). I think with a certain level of detail in terms of what you can do in games, elaborate controls may be unavoidable, but it is increasingly hard with modern games for me to keep track of how to do things. Is anyone else overwhelmed by modern control schemes in games? Can it go too far?

To some extent sure, but I think video games are a lot easier to control than say back in the 90s, maybe during the N64/PS1 era. They were just getting started on 3d graphics, so it make sense that they were still getting the hang of things. Now days I'd say controls are a lot better and smoother. 

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

So, I love everything about RDR 2 so far (which I just started playing) except for the controls, which I find extremely elaborate (I mean, there are even nested control schemes). I think with a certain level of detail in terms of what you can do in games, elaborate controls may be unavoidable, but it is increasingly hard with modern games for me to keep track of how to do things. Is anyone else overwhelmed by modern control schemes in games? Can it go too far?

I think it's due to the controls being weighty, like for example. When you move around, sometimes it takes a little bit for the character to move when you push. I find that sometimes when I am moving around, I can't stop myself sometimes, and have to move at a certain angle to use a prompt. It's quite annoying, but I've gotten used to it. 

It really does take a bit to get used to. Even RDR1 had weighty controls at times, same with most newer GTA titles. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

To some extent sure, but I think video games are a lot easier to control than say back in the 90s, maybe during the N64/PS1 era. They were just getting started on 3d graphics, so it make sense that they were still getting the hang of things. Now days I'd say controls are a lot better and smoother. 

I think it's due to the controls being weighty, like for example. When you move around, sometimes it takes a little bit for the character to move when you push. I find that sometimes when I am moving around, I can't stop myself sometimes, and have to move at a certain angle to use a prompt. It's quite annoying, but I've gotten used to it. 

It really does take a bit to get used to. Even RDR1 had weighty controls at times, same with most newer GTA titles. 

I agree with you on how the characters move. Sometimes, it is frustrating when it looks as if the plans that you are making is not working as you envisaged it to go. I took out time to also learn how to use the controls when in that type of situation. 

In the beginning, I had a hell of a hard time with the controls for RDR2. They are so in depth that they almost require a Stephen Hawking level of electronics knowledge to figure out. But after a bit they become second nature. It's a bitch at first, but now I don't even have to think when I'm playing.

8 hours ago, Justin11 said:

For me, they remain as they were since I started gaming on play station consoles. Maybe, I'm too reliant on series I've been playing since ten years ago, only few new games I've played since then. 

I don't understand how you play, but controls for RDR2 was never easy and for you to win, you've got to learn better about the controls. 

5 hours ago, Ajibusu said:

I don't understand how you play, but controls for RDR2 was never easy and for you to win, you've got to learn better about the controls. 

It's been a while I played RDR-2, and when I played it I wasn't professional at it. So, I wouldn't tell any difference maker in the controls at the moment. Have the controls been changed? but it is the same game, unless you want to tell me that the recent update of the game changed its control. 

Its honestly a dealbreaker for many people depending on the game. I'm still bitter about a game called Ruiner that looked really cool, but has what I consider to be a broken control scheme. The only reason for this is a choice by the dev, and they have doubled down on that decision when requests for control options have been made.

On 10/8/2022 at 11:52 AM, Empire said:

Its honestly a dealbreaker for many people depending on the game. I'm still bitter about a game called Ruiner that looked really cool, but has what I consider to be a broken control scheme. The only reason for this is a choice by the dev, and they have doubled down on that decision when requests for control options have been made.

For a longer period I have always liked simple controllers and nothing too complex, GTA had an elaborate control but it was understandable that after a few game play you should already be used to it.

2 hours ago, Justin11 said:

For a longer period I have always liked simple controllers and nothing too complex, GTA had an elaborate control but it was understandable that after a few game play you should already be used to it.

It's like anything else, Yet people can always chnage how they play you know 🙂

Compared to older times in gaming, the controls aren't too bad actually. I remember in older fighting games how hard it was to pull off simple combos just because of how many buttons there were on the controllers and my hands were pretty tiny as a kid. I remember when Fatalities in Mortal Kombat took 3000 button combinations - it's WAY simpler now.

20 hours ago, Empire said:

It's like anything else, Yet people can always chnage how they play you know 🙂

Yes , in most cases you could decide to play in a certain way but for other case scenarios where a specific gameplay is required you must  go with the already designated controller function.