Register Now
StaceyPowers

Realism that doesn’t translate well to video games?

What are some examples of realism that just do not translate well to video games? For example, I like a small amount of camera wobble in first person, but if it’s a “realistic” amount, it just is awful for me to look at, and reduces immersion instead of increasing it.

That's a good question, one I'm not 100% sure I can answer. I can't stand when they use lens flares in games. It's a small thing, but makes no sense. Because lens flair is just what happens when recording something on a camera. So it doesn't really make sense to then include it in, say, Call of Duty or something. The same goes for movies, but it makes more sense if it's actually from a lens flare, but, It's weird when they add them to movies on purpose.

It will take time for video games to be realistic like the way real life actions are. Like in football games like PES or EA FIFA, you hardly see an opposition player dragging a player upon his jersey and the jersey shaking like in real-life and the affected player complaining to a referee for such a weird action. 

Hunting, or more specially butchering animals for resources. And no, I'm not talking about the gory, repetitive and time consuming reality that's involved with such a task (although those could be considered another reasons to not be be focused on being realistic in this case), it's more bout how it works as loot. In horizon Zero Dawn/Forbidden west, for example, animal parts have levels of rarity and you're no guaranteed to loot these part every tine even though every animal obviously has the bone or that pelt or the shell or wherever. Most games of this types that I know of work in a similar way.

Edited by Shagger

As much as I love city-builders, I don't think a 'realistic' one would be much fun. 

I always love remodelling my towns in my image, and bulldozing half the town to build the most efficient transport network I can. But if I tried that in the real world, my glorious plans would instantly run into a brick wall of opposition from NIMBYs. (Although, to be fair, I would be such a NIMBY if it was my house that was going to be bulldozed!!!)

On 10/6/2022 at 4:26 AM, Kane99 said:

That's a good question, one I'm not 100% sure I can answer. I can't stand when they use lens flares in games. It's a small thing, but makes no sense. Because lens flair is just what happens when recording something on a camera. So it doesn't really make sense to then include it in, say, Call of Duty or something. The same goes for movies, but it makes more sense if it's actually from a lens flare, but, It's weird when they add them to movies on purpose.

Same goes for chromatic abberation, motion blur, depth of field. All phenomenon caused by characteristics of a camera, yet they include them all the time in games.

On 10/5/2022 at 9:26 PM, Kane99 said:

That IS weird. Also when you can see water drip off the camera lens. Surprised they don't use freakin windshield wipers. 

On 10/10/2022 at 10:41 PM, Kyng said:

As much as I love city-builders, I don't think a 'realistic' one would be much fun. 

I always love remodelling my towns in my image, and bulldozing half the town to build the most efficient transport network I can. But if I tried that in the real world, my glorious plans would instantly run into a brick wall of opposition from NIMBYs. (Although, to be fair, I would be such a NIMBY if it was my house that was going to be bulldozed!!!)

I haven't played a good city building game aside the Sims which I know transcends deeper than just city building.

I don't think they could ever make it as realistic though but I would still like a recommendation for a good city building game I could play on Nintendo or Xbox.