Register Now
aerodynamik

Wireless or wired?

I'll choose wireless headsets/controllers one million times than wired ones. I don't like something that connects together that wouldn't let me have freedom of movement. I love changing positions playing games and also, I love listening to music without moving with my music player. Just keeping it some distance like 100m away from my position is what I enjoy when I'm at home. 

Honestly, wireless is preferable, but wired is probably more reliable and lasts longer. I've had many issues with wireless controllers in the past, and it usually was due to the way you charge them. All of my 360 controllers stopped charging at some point. It got bad that I had to keep my plug n charge cable connected at all times anyway. At that point, I'm okay with wired, because I don't usually take my controller too far anyway. I keep it by my xbox and I sit close to that when I use it anyway. 

Considering being a classic gamer, I play with wired controllers all the time. There were a few wireless controllers made around the N64/PS1 era, but they typically didn't work worth a shit. When I play newer systems, like PS4/5 and Xbox, the wireless ability is really nice. It gives more range of motion and isn't limiting you to a small confined area. As for headsets, I prefer using them wired. Not sure exactly why, but it's just something I do.

Wired is messy, but more reliable, while wireless is less reliable, but doesn't create a mess like wired devices do. I like wired more, because you don't usually get lag with wired, but wireless can have connection issues and lag depending on the device. 

I do currently prefer wireless controllers and headsets just because the cords tend to trip you up and they're also messy but I still have no problem using wired headsets.

On 11/30/2022 at 5:08 PM, Kane99 said:

Wired is messy, but more reliable, while wireless is less reliable, but doesn't create a mess like wired devices do. I like wired more, because you don't usually get lag with wired, but wireless can have connection issues and lag depending on the device. 

My issue with wired is when you forget the wire is there and trip over it and knock over something expensive...

When I got my Xbox One X back in 2019 I got an official controller with the console which was wireless. Unfortunately over a year after I got the console, my official controller got stick drift through use and it was out of warranty so I ended up going the third party route with my controller for a while which ended up in me using wired controllers instead of wireless. It wasn't until last October that I was able to get myself a new official Xbox One controller that was wireless and I have never been happier. You notice just how much having a wire can't bother you when you have to use one. I am someone who always prefers wireless if I have the chance.

I prefer wired as often as possible. From headphones to my mouse. But my new Logitech ergonomic TrackBall didn't come with that option anymore. The people at Best Buy looked at me like it was the oddest question they heard of when I asked if they carried a WIRED mouse.

While you have the convenience & portability with a wireless, that convenience comes with a price. Wireless tends to act up so much more. Seems the advances they make in technology only advances their pocketbooks. I've had to buy a new mouse several times as it kept being faulty. I read reviews on many people having that same problem.

On 2/19/2023 at 6:30 PM, Smokey said:

I prefer wireless whenever possible. Wires tend to get in my way more often than not.  The only things I liked wired are my internet connection & mouse.

I agree with the internet connection - it's much better wired and it's not like my Wifi speeds are bad. It's just that the ethernet connection is far more amazing.

I'm old school and prefer wired controllers. I don't mind if a headset is wireless or not though. I prefer using wired controllers since you don't have to worry about charging the battery when it dies or in the case of Xbox controllers buy batteries. I know you could purchase rechargeable batteries but again the only thing you have to worry about with wired controllers is tripping over the cord or making sure the cord reaches where you're sitting.

All of mine so far have been wired, but that's mostly because I just go for the cheapest option available 😛 .

Not having a cord would be nice, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money!