Register Now
Kane99

Modern Warfare 2 will seemingly require a phone number like Overwatch 2

Overwatch 2 isn't going to be the only game to now require a phone number in order to activate. Modern Warfare 2 is rumored to also be making this a requirement in order to play, and pre-paid phones will not work either. So you need a legit smartphone in order to sign up. I don't understand such rules, I don't have service on my phone, so I won't be able to play it. If that's the case, I just won't ever play this game lol. Oh well. Not like we're missing out with these recent COD titles. 

Read more about this here - https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/modern-warfare-2-will-seemingly-require-a-phone-number-like-overwatch-2/

Have Activision gone beyond stupid or something? What makes them think that the backlash that forced to peddle back on this policy for Overwatch 2 won't happen for MW2? They obviously think that for some reason the COD fanbase will be OK with this when the Overwatch fanbase were not and that's idiotic.

Edited by Shagger

Hmm, adding a phone number for activation of a game is quite ridiculous. Not everyone can share such information, some users prefer keeping it 💯 anonymous when it comes to their activities online. I don't know what to say next, but wouldn't be that challenging for those who cherish the game so well. 

Overwatch 2 has barely even backpedaled, too. The issue of requiring a phone number is still present for brand new players, or Overwatch 1 players who haven't played since before crossplay was added. Many players out there who possess pre-paid phone plans still won't be able to play Overwatch 2, and I've yet to see Blizzard offer any kind of proper solution for this.

Hmmm, not sure I am a fan of having to give my phone number to play a game. But, then again, if I really like the game I probably will! lol But I have a feeling they will lose money requiring that. 

On 10/10/2022 at 11:03 AM, Shagger said:

Have Activision gone beyond stupid or something? What makes them think that the backlash that forced to peddle back on this policy for Overwatch 2 won't happen for MW2? They obviously think that for some reason the COD fanbase will be OK with this when the Overwatch fanbase were not and that's idiotic.

A good portion of the COD fanbase is stupid for buying practically the same game every year and you dare not criticize it. Overwatch doesn't garner the same level of loyalty as COD does. Just sell the same COD game for twice the price next year and you'd see most of the fanbase buy it without hesitation.

I don't even have service for my phone as well, so I'd be out of luck when it comes to playing the newest COD. Though I think they me trying to push this for all of their games, so I could see some of the last few games getting similar treatment. I could see something like that happening.  

I understand they did this for Overwatch 2 and then back peddled with their decision to do it after so many people complained about the system. I can fully understand why they would want to do it BUT it then pushes some of their player base out who do not have the ability to give their phone number to activate their account for the game. What the developers need to do is look for a way that can be used to prevent such things as people having more than one account and smurfing that everyone will be able to do with the worry of them being left behind. MW2 is out now, and I haven't heard anyone complaining about it yet so maybe they back peddled to? 

22 hours ago, Shortie said:

I understand they did this for Overwatch 2 and then back peddled with their decision to do it after so many people complained about the system. I can fully understand why they would want to do it BUT it then pushes some of their player base out who do not have the ability to give their phone number to activate their account for the game. What the developers need to do is look for a way that can be used to prevent such things as people having more than one account and smurfing that everyone will be able to do with the worry of them being left behind. MW2 is out now, and I haven't heard anyone complaining about it yet so maybe they back peddled to? 

I hear it's to stop hackers/cheaters. Of course it won't stop all of them, but it should slow them down some. 

My main concern is that I don't have service on my mobile phone, I have a house phone, but they don't accept that. Not like they can't send me an automated message with a code, but I guess they gotta go with mobile. 

They might have back peddled or they made it work for those on pay as you go plans. Because if I ever do get phone service, I will be using the pay as you go services. And I know a lot of people use these services, so that cuts out a lot of people. 

On 10/30/2022 at 8:48 PM, Shortie said:

Some people are actually afraid of the integrity of these gaming companies and are afraid that those information could he used later.

Phone numbers can be used to track down an individual or collect some valuable information about them Linked to that phone line.

They are sure going to lose some of their fan to these and others might just care less and use their phone numbers anyways.