Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games where challenges are not “leveling” based

In a lot of games, the elements of “challenge” come from fighting harder and harder enemies, though they also get progressively easier to handle since you level up as you are doing it.

What are some games that by contrast do not focus on leveling (or maybe don’t even include it), but offer challenges in a more organic way?

Any games can be very challenged - from CSGO and you have a hard time not getting kills but you being dead so fast. Hotline Miami 1 and 2 are amazing the better you get at them, the crushing difficulty is hard to fight, but once you get the hang of it, trying to A+ levels and playing hlm2 hard mode is very satisfying.

I can only think of Dark Souls, but you kinda level up your health and all that. I don't think enemies get easier to kill, you just get better weapons and stats that help you defeat enemies faster. 

I can't think of any other games off the top of my head though, but I'm sure I'm forgetting something. 

15 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

Action platformer that gets harder as you go. Rage quit and increased blood pressure is a part of the series.

Yep - honestly, the Road To Nowhere is the single most frustrating stage I've ever played in any platformer and I've seen people destroy their tvs playing it and I'm talk back in the day.

On 10/23/2022 at 8:55 AM, Demon_skeith said:

Action platformer that gets harder as you go. Rage quit and increased blood pressure is a part of the series.

I went ahead to watch a few Game play videos on YouTube and I was quite a charmer , I like the sound tracks and game play as well.

On 10/23/2022 at 6:27 PM, killamch89 said:

Yep - honestly, the Road To Nowhere is the single most frustrating stage I've ever played in any platformer and I've seen people destroy their tvs playing it and I'm talk back in the day.

My blood pressure still has yet to recover from that stage, or the controller I broke 😛