Register Now
StaceyPowers

What is the ideal level of complexity for any given game system/mechanic?

Whether its fighting, hunting, crafting, fishing, or any other mechanic or system in a game, how much/little complexity do you want to see it involve? Do you get overwhelmed by too much complexity, or bored with too much simplicity? Does the right balance depend on the individual game and the specific system?

I like gameplay simple and fluent, while having a complex story. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a good example. It has a lot of different mechanics, but it is quite simple once you get to know it. And the plot? Absolutely awesome. So many actually surprising plot twists, and great plot overall. The ending was a bit lackluster, but by no means bad.

I think any system/mechanic in game should be easy to do for everyone. Or at least easy to utilize at first. If it's a complex system to get to work, I probably won't bother to use that portion of the game. I think the mechanics of a game, or how one controls it, should be easy for the gamer. Or at least accessible enough to work. 

19 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I think any system/mechanic in game should be easy to do for everyone. Or at least easy to utilize at first. If it's a complex system to get to work, I probably won't bother to use that portion of the game. I think the mechanics of a game, or how one controls it, should be easy for the gamer. Or at least accessible enough to work. 

I agree - we should be able to master the basics without it being cumbersome. I don't mind if there's a gradual progession of difficulty - just don't make it a hassle.

On 10/12/2022 at 7:29 PM, Empire said:

I like gameplay simple and fluent, while having a complex story. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a good example. It has a lot of different mechanics, but it is quite simple once you get to know it. And the plot? Absolutely awesome. So many actually surprising plot twists, and great plot overall. The ending was a bit lackluster, but by no means bad.

Yeah, Empire pretty much already said it for me.

But I'll add that the gameplay shouldn't be too simple because even someone like me who's not big on gameplay can find it a little boring. I at least want some level of cleverness in the gameplay design that enhances the story, not just some flavorless structure that's just there to move the plot forward (see all movie franchise games in the 2000s, including The Incredibles). That can sometimes make a game boring after a while, and even reduces its replay value.

It's also why I find Animal Crossing: New Horizons to be incredibly boring. Not only is its gameplay so simple, it lacks a proper story to engage me as well. At least with another farming game like My Time at Portia, I had to figure out how to beat Higgins by month 1, year 1. That's something a bit complicated that you have to plan out well.