Register Now
DC

Most deep psychological games

Video games can provide us with an interactive, empathetic way to understand the thoughts, feelings, motivations and actions of their characters, especially when we are put directly in those characters’ shoes. Which video games have you played that delved the deepest into psychological themes?

• Alan Wake (2010) - Throughout the story, you get to see him get closer to the brink of madness and having all kinds of meltdowns.
  • Doki Doki Literature Club - this game may look all lighthearted but trust me when I tell you that the game has some pretty dark twists and turns.
  • Spec Ops: The Line - Following Martin Walker's slow decent into madness and watching some of the things he does along the way only to realize his real enemy is himself all along.
  • Layers Of Fear - A troubled painter trying to create the greatest masterpiece - the story is extremely deep and the way it portrays the MC's fragile mind is amazing.

Maybe unpopular opinion but for me it was Max Payne. To be more specific Max Payne 1 and 2. I loved and enjoyed every minute of Max Payne 3 too, but it was quite different than the first two. I think it added a lot to me because at that time I was about 10-12y old when I played it, but even today it still gets me. That New York 'Noire vibe', fucked up Max's dreams were really something unique.

On 10/14/2022 at 6:01 AM, Empire said:

Maybe unpopular opinion but for me it was Max Payne. To be more specific Max Payne 1 and 2. I loved and enjoyed every minute of Max Payne 3 too, but it was quite different than the first two. I think it added a lot to me because at that time I was about 10-12y old when I played it, but even today it still gets me. That New York 'Noire vibe', fucked up Max's dreams were really something unique.

You're right especially after losing his wife and family, the way how they portrayed Max's pain was really well done by the developers. It was somewhat subtle but noticeable if you really paid attention.

What remains of Edith Finch: this is one of those tragedic games where as a player you get to explore the history of the Finch family and why Edith Finch is the only person in her family alive.

This game teaches  empathy in quite an interesting way.

Silent Hill 2 and the rest of the series would probably make the cut here. SH2 especially, because I'm more familiar with it. It was all about psychological horror, discovering why you're there, what happened to his wife, etc.

The Evil Within 2 is a really good one. The character is struggling between two different worlds and facing self blame to what happened to his daughter and he faces all kinds of personal hells. Even when you boost your ability levels, he sits in a crazy chair and talks to an entity. And there is a psychotic villain threatening his family showing him scenes of serial killings so as to torture his mind. 

Another is The Suffering. A guy goes to prison for the murder of his family and he has no recollection of it. Monsters take control of the prison and he has to fight his way out all the while having psychologically visions of torment. An ability he has is to turn into a beast and go on a rampage which is like a struggle of his own personal demons and rage. 

On 10/29/2022 at 8:44 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Another is The Suffering. A guy goes to prison for the murder of his family and he has no recollection of it. Monsters take control of the prison and he has to fight his way out all the while having psychologically visions of torment. An ability he has is to turn into a beast and go on a rampage which is like a struggle of his own personal demons and rage. 

This game would sure be interesting and I like how you were able to give us an incite into it with mincing words.

I would check it out and watch a few gameplay videos on the game and hopefully get to play it myself.

26 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

This game is old but goes down as a legendary game

This game is available on PlayStation 2 and I only got to know about it today, the graphics is suitable for the its own era of video games.

I  like the sound also and it gives it  a feel of something from an action movie.