Register Now
DC

Has any video game ever changed how you approach games as a whole?

Did you ever play a video game that taught you to approach gaming in a different way than you used to? For example, perhaps a game taught you that “shoot first, ask questions later” can have terrible consequences, and you are now more likely in other games to seek diplomatic solutions before opening fire.

I used to reject the RPG genre of games thinking that games should not be about assigning skill points and managing an inventory. It was the influence of multiple games that changed my mind on that, but the final push that sent me over the fence was Mass Effect. I still remember that during my first playthrough of Mass Effect I used auto leveling and did not manage the inventory at all.  Then realized how much more depth the game has if I actually pay attention to those things.

Fallout 3 has made me somewhat of a hoarder, but not in the bad way. If I'm cleaning up and find something (wire, tape, string, empty bottle, etc) I think "This might come in handy" and then I put it in my random crap drawer of my desk. I've used things from it a lot more than I though I would.

Racing games is one of those games that require you be calm even under pressure , you could just speed up and try to over take other players but if you can just take you take to predict the players next move you could over take them because they might make a mistake you could take advantage of even if they are far ahead of you.

On 10/21/2022 at 6:07 AM, Empire said:

Fallout 3 has made me somewhat of a hoarder, but not in the bad way. If I'm cleaning up and find something (wire, tape, string, empty bottle, etc) I think "This might come in handy" and then I put it in my random crap drawer of my desk. I've used things from it a lot more than I though I would.

To be fair, I developed my hoarding habit from playing Final Fantasy games and then I just started doing it in almost every game. The Fallout series is a hoarder's dream though as you stockpile almost anything and it usually does have some kind of use in crafting.

17 hours ago, killamch89 said:

To be fair, I developed my hoarding habit from playing Final Fantasy games and then I just started doing it in almost every game. The Fallout series is a hoarder's dream though as you stockpile almost anything and it usually does have some kind of use in crafting.

I like to drive fast and I got this thirst for speed from my childhood love for fast car racing games which is still my favorite till date.

When I drive I try to be careful but I don't like going slow. 

Edited by Justin11

On 10/24/2022 at 12:46 AM, killamch89 said:

Yeah, I stopped after awhile when htere is no more game left and moved onto something else. Not to mention doing the game to much makes me scream

Yes! Fortnite is one of those games that has changed the way I approach games now. I used to be a player that would do a lot of run and gun rather than wait it out and plan my next move. With Fortnite I have been able to adapt to waiting it out and being patient rather than running and gunning which was always a bad idea whenever I would do that in Fortnite. I guess in games such as Call of Duty I would still run and gun to an extent but I would probably be more cautious of my surroundings.

I would have to say RDR2. Before I got into it, I was almost exclusively into fantasy style games. Zelda is a good example of what I'm referring to. I was also NEVER into western games as a whole. But after @Rain Dew introduced me to the game, my horizons vastly expanded. Now, unless it's a military based game, I look at about everything. I don't count anything out except military games.