Register Now
ZandraJoi

What do you think of Clickbaits?

Do you fall for them? Do you think they are prevalent? Do you use it yourself?

I know I have & I know I shouldn’t. More times than not, it’s quite stupid & then I worry I just infected my computer even if the site was legitimate.

I had always considered clickbaits to be mean but when I read more on it to do my research, some actually DO use it for their own sites, & not in a malicious attempt either.

For those who use it for their sites, is it beneficial?

This is what led to Rick Rolling a few years back. It was all about click bait. Click bait is annoying as hell to me. It's used on YouTube all the time. A video looks good from the thumbnail, but sometimes it has nothing to actually do with the video. And some I've seen are all about jump scares. You're watching something soothing, then all of a sudden some zombie looking image flashes up at you and screams.

So to sum up, I hate click bait.

It's like asking if I hate capitalism or marketing of any form. It's a business strategy, and clearly, it got people clicking effectively enough, so I can't blame them too much for using an efficient way to make money/earn clicks.

That being said, I do agree that it's incredibly annoying. I think like all things in life, compromises must exist, and if you're using lazy and blatant click-baits like Buzzfeed, obviously that's not only ineffective because people could tell immediately and wouldn't click, but it leads to the kind of click-bait spams you'd see on the Internet that makes it harder to avoid. If you're gonna use click-baits, at least be clever about it.

I mainly disliked that the whole premise of the show (that it was some sort of Black-Mirroresque social media dystopian thriller) just ended after the first episode and it turned into a regular Agatha Christie whodunnit. Which has been done better a million times.

I myself dont mind people using their initiative to better themselves or their lives and if they genuinely have a skill or ability to share then im all for it, as that is called entertainment, but when someone clearly fakes content, with no skill or imagination involved, then i dont agree with that and think there should be a way of electronically throwing tomatoes at those people, but for now guess the dislike option or avoiding their content entirely is the best we can do, as they only do it because they are getting clicks! so dont give them what they want!! 🙂

On 10/14/2022 at 8:52 AM, The Blackangel said:

This is what led to Rick Rolling a few years back. It was all about click bait. Click bait is annoying as hell to me. It's used on YouTube all the time. A video looks good from the thumbnail, but sometimes it has nothing to actually do with the video. And some I've seen are all about jump scares. You're watching something soothing, then all of a sudden some zombie looking image flashes up at you and screams.

So to sum up, I hate click bait.

Me too but I've learned how to weed out most of these videos and just pay them no mind.

I am someone who understands why people do use clickbait titles as even though it's not advised it does get people the views but it does annoy me a lot when they do it. Especially when they are misleading and you waste your time watching a video thinking you may find out something to not find out anything. One person I remember that used a lot of click baiting to get views to his channel but nothing ever happened in his videos that he had mentioned in the title was AliA.