Register Now
ZandraJoi

Best place to buy equipment?

For those who make their own music, where do you buy your equipment? Are there some places or sites you would recommend? Do you buy locally? I would opt to buy locally as the sales people could help me figure out what would best suit my needs. Plus, returns are easier to do.

Do you have a room devoted to playing music? What all is in there?

Palen Music is a good place to check out. I bought my electric guitar there. It's a Fender Squire. Their prices are great and they have a hell of a lot of equipment and instruments. I really recommend them. You can also check around local pawn shops. Most will let you test out the instruments and equipment before you buy them. You can also check out sites like eBay, Amazon, and Craigslist. You can often find good equipment there.

I get stuff from Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Amazon, and Reverb.

Amazon is nice for my guitar pedals, but for the instruments, I tend to go to the other 3. Guitar Center and Sam Ash because they’re local, and Reverb for discontinued items.

I'd check which company is the official distributor for the manufacturer. If this company sells to end users, they can usually give you the best price and support. Otherwise Thomann is great when you need lots of small bits.

I don't see as much used equipment for sale as I used to, but there are several free classifieds sites in EU where pro audio gear is common.