Register Now
Gonassis

Seems like Valve's Steam Deck Dock got mixed reviews

So, I'm going through the various publishers and I'm seeing a trend of extremely mixed results for the official Steam Deck docking station. Some outlets praise it for its design and integration, others blame the price and (lack of) features or power.

Dexterto wrote:

"We’re not upset with our purchase of the Steam Deck Dock. It’s a clean-cut and totally viable USB-C dock. However, there’s just this lingering feeling that it doesn’t bring enough to the table that any other dock available on Amazon could do. Other than the need to keep things aesthetically pleasing, that is." And they gave it a 6/10, you can read the review here.

Phoronix wrote:

"If you can afford it, great, otherwise there are plenty of other Linux compatible USB-C hubs/docks/adapters on the market depending upon your needs." No score was given, but they have some nice photos and an overall positive score. You can read more in their review.

Esportsheadlines.com wrote:

"If you can afford it, the official Steam Deck Dock is certainly a good investment. It's not only well integrated in to the SteamOS itself, but also features all the ports one would need for a pleasant couch gaming session." From what I can tell it's quite a high number, 9 out of 10. Here's their review.

TheVerge wrote:

Ah, well.. I don't know what they wrote tbh. They did an extremely poor review focusing on what the dock can't do, instead on what it can, so I have no clue if it's a good source or not. This is your standard Verge I guess, like Unboxing Therapy. They always want to have their nose in everything, even if they aren't capable of reviewing it.  It's here.

From what I can tell by default is that Apple's monitor stand is Valve's docking station. It's an overpriced piece of tech that fits the device well and does the job, but its role is to bring in more money, and there are several cheaper alternatives out there.

Luckily Valve doesn't bother too much with competition and they actually welcome it, so that's good. We would just need a docking station that can be integrated with Linux as well as the steam deck dock can.

Edited by Gonassis

So the dock is essentially what Nintendo has with the switch correct? 

It sounds like there are alternatives on the market, maybe other ones are better suited for now. I don't own a steam deck so can't really comment on the dock, but I'm curious if there are cheaper alternatives that do just as good. 

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why it got mixed results. Other manufacturers have similar options ranging from $30 till $50, while this one is clocking in $90. I think that Apple's monitor stand is Valve's steam deck dock - just here to look pretty and make money.

10 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

So the dock is essentially what Nintendo has with the switch correct? 

It sounds like there are alternatives on the market, maybe other ones are better suited for now. I don't own a steam deck so can't really comment on the dock, but I'm curious if there are cheaper alternatives that do just as good. 

Edited by Gonassis

Yeah if the prices were a bit lower it may be worth it. Whenever I get a steam deck, I'll probably skip out on buying the dock until I can find a good cheap one. I don't want to pay nearly $100 for one. I'll be fine playing it handheld. 

This is surprising to hear. All steam deck reviews I've heard so far were pretty positive for the handheld itself, to see the docking station get mixed reviews is a bit surprising to be honest.  I would love a Steam Deck myself but it's way too expensive for my blood, It's definitely not in the cards right now at least.