Register Now
Techno

Age Of Empires Anniversary Announcements

So next year both 2 and 4 of the RTS series Age Of Empires will release on Xbox Series S and X. It will also release on Cloud. They're be on Game Pass of course.

Just as exciting, and because I'm trying to combine all the news together. They are bring Age Of Mythology back.

There is also going to be a Age Of Empire mobile game, but I didn't ask and didn't care.

There's also some new Age Of Empire 4 content. But most of us here have never played the games, so I won't really mention them.

Edited by Techno

I just hope people asking for it stops and they realize, how bad of an idea it is. RTS with a controller is not fun, unless it incoporates MASSIVE changes to gameplay. Halo Wars worked well, because it because they specificly designed unit control and base building for the controller. But straight up porting AoE2 or 4 without major changes will not work. I do UI/Pad programming and design on a daily basis, it requires a lot of changes and at times sacrifices to make it work with the limited buttons and sticks on a

controller, compared to mouse+keyboard. tl;dr: you asked, but trust me, you don't want this. Unless the games get very different.

32 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Unless they make a mouse/keyboard setup of the games, releasing them on console is not a good idea. It will flop I guarantee, simply due to gamers not being able to to control the game the way they think they would. Personally, I'm sticking to a 20 year old computer for AOE.

On 10/26/2022 at 12:03 PM, Empire said:

I just hope people asking for it stops and they realize, how bad of an idea it is. RTS with a controller is not fun, unless it incoporates MASSIVE changes to gameplay. Halo Wars worked well, because it because they specificly designed unit control and base building for the controller. But straight up porting AoE2 or 4 without major changes will not work. I do UI/Pad programming and design on a daily basis, it requires a lot of changes and at times sacrifices to make it work with the limited buttons and sticks on a

controller, compared to mouse+keyboard. tl;dr: you asked, but trust me, you don't want this. Unless the games get very different.

I actually desperately want to say you're both wrong , but unfortunately I have to agree. The key to a strategy game, what literally makes a strategy game, is that it should take literally no skill to play. It may be cool that you can juggle chess pieces, but it won't make you better at chess. What true strategy game needs is an interface that's there to allow the player to oversee and situation with a vast verity of control options right there to implement thier idea's in a timely enough manner to execute them, it's no about skill and timing from a smaller scale perspective like what gamepads have been developed to do well. On console, the interface just isn't designed for this sort of thing, not like on PC whare the interface itself was designed to be a utility to begin with. Games like AoE were made to get the best out of that utility style interface, and why not? Console gamers have every right to enjoy these kinds of games if the want to, so I'm long way from objecting to them being made available to console gamers, but that doesn't change the fact that this is not a straightforward thing to port over and I highly doubt that even with the best effort the Xbox version will not be as easy to play as the PC version.

I was beginning to wonder when AOE going to be available in console though from other comments I have read here which categorically stated the amount of work to be put in place to get it working and as good as it would have been on PC, I am still very much excited about this and looking forward to the outcome when it's eventually released.

On 10/25/2022 at 10:52 PM, Ajibusu said:

I haven't played Age of Empire 4, but it is the type of game I will be looking forward to play next year. I like new challenges especially when it is for such games. 

Just curious, do you have a PC as well because it's already out for PC.

On 10/27/2022 at 9:39 AM, The Blackangel said:

Unless they make a mouse/keyboard setup of the games, releasing them on console is not a good idea. It will flop I guarantee, simply due to gamers not being able to to control the game the way they think they would. Personally, I'm sticking to a 20 year old computer for AOE.

You're hundred percent on the money here. Imagine trying to play this with an Xbox controller? As a matter of fact, RTS games rarely ever translate well to consoles. As for the mobile game, if it doesn't have any microtransactions, I might just check it out.