Register Now
Kane99

Modern Warfare 2 PS5 Disc Only Houses 70MB of Data

Read here:

https://mp1st.com/news/report-modern-warfare-2-ps5-disc-only-houses-70mb-of-data

Of course they are doing this. The disc for MW2 on PS5 supposedly only comes with the license for the game. If you try to load the game without internet or I assume without the updates, it asks you to connect to psn and update. The first update is over 40GB or so. Not sure on the base game size though. But with COD and all the modes, it's probably well over 100GB. 

This worries me though, because we're already getting physical releases from Nintendo where they just toss in a code for the game in a plastic case. Now, it could just be the disc having the license. Which is nice and all, but how do those who don't have internet, or want to play multiplayer, get to enjoy game? 

Now games will just drop with the license on disc. That disc will probably become useless once the PS5 loses support, so that's another issue. 

It will be very well over 100GB for the install, probably closer to 300GB. Activision-Blizzard never optimizes thier games to reduce thier size. I remember COD WW2 when it was a PS+ game was not only well over 200GB, it forced you to install the game right then and there to even claim it on PS+. I had never seen that happen on PS+ or any similar service before. You were always able to just claim the game and add it to your account to then download it whenever you wanted to. This arrogant company and franchise feels it has the right to all the storage it wants. Now, Blu-ray disks only hold so much space, so obviously larger games will require a certain portion of the game to be downloaded, so as long as the rights owning a physical copy remain this doesn't bother me that much, but I'm with on the the concerns over long term support.

Edited by Shagger

unfortunately, it's already hit or miss how much of the game will actually be on the disc. 70 MB is sad though, with any other game it at least had up until the "needed for game to run" portion installed from the disc before it started downloading the rest.

This is bullshit business practices. How much is the "game" new? $40? $50? Then you get it home and find out you have to buy something you just bought an hour ago? And then you have to pay for the PSN to be able to play it? They're gouging gamers. That's 3 different purchases for one game. I really hope there's a hell of a lot of backlash for this. They deserve getting their ass handed to them.

9 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

This is bullshit business practices. How much is the "game" new? $40? $50? Then you get it home and find out you have to buy something you just bought an hour ago? And then you have to pay for the PSN to be able to play it? They're gouging gamers. That's 3 different purchases for one game. I really hope there's a hell of a lot of backlash for this. They deserve getting their ass handed to them.

The disc is like any other PlayStation game where it just automatically downloads the updates when you pop the disc in. It’s just that the only info on the disc is basically a launcher to download the actual game as opposed to just updates. It’s really just that the physical release is kind of pointless if the game isn’t actually on the disc.

idk where your idea of a third purchase is coming from, because they’re not price gouging you if every other game that uses online features requires you to pay for the game on top of owning a PSN subscription.

Edited by Grungie

7 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

The prices I was talking about are

1) buying the license 
2) buying the game
3) paying for PSN

That’s not what’s going on.

When you pop any game in, you’re usually greeted with your console downloading the updates/patches. Well if you didn’t have internet, theoretically you’d still be able to play the game. In the case of this game, there’s no actual game on the disc, so the “update” is really just the actual game being installed. Thus rendering the point of owning a physical copy largely pointless.

So there’s no third purchase. The license is basically your rights to download the game. Instead of giving you just a piece of paper with the download code, the disc is acting as the download code.

Though I wouldn’t be surprised that the game requires you to have the disc to be inside to play the game, despite there not being a game on the disc.

On 10/26/2022 at 6:58 PM, Shagger said:

It will be very well over 100GB for the install, probably closer to 300GB. Activision-Blizzard never optimizes thier games to reduce thier size. I remember COD WW2 when it was a PS+ game was not only well over 200GB, it forced you to install the game right then and there to even claim it on PS+. I had never seen that happen on PS+ or any similar service before. You were always able to just claim the game and add it to your account to then download it whenever you wanted to. This arrogant company and franchise feels it has the right to all the storage it wants. Now, Blu-ray disks only hold so much space, so obviously larger games will require a certain portion of the game to be downloaded, so as long as the rights owning a physical copy remain this doesn't bother me that much, but I'm with on the the concerns over long term support.

Oh for sure, COD is a massive game, sometimes a bit too massive. I remember when it would sometimes eat up the whole damn HD to the point it would just be a COD game and nothing else. 

I still think though, that if there's too much data for a single disc, then give us a few more discs to complete it. I know it's not ideal as it costs money to produce a disc, but it would keep physical media alive. But I don't see that ever happening like how it did back in the early days of disc media, like when many of the Final Fantasy games came out with multiple discs. And I get that blu-rays don't hold it all, and I think with a game like COD it makes more sense. But even so, I think they could fit the campaign at the very least. Multiplayer won't last forever, but the campaign could at least be played. I'm sure they could fit that on a disc or two. 

23 hours ago, Grungie said:

That’s not what’s going on.

When you pop any game in, you’re usually greeted with your console downloading the updates/patches. Well if you didn’t have internet, theoretically you’d still be able to play the game. In the case of this game, there’s no actual game on the disc, so the “update” is really just the actual game being installed. Thus rendering the point of owning a physical copy largely pointless.

So there’s no third purchase. The license is basically your rights to download the game. Instead of giving you just a piece of paper with the download code, the disc is acting as the download code.

Though I wouldn’t be surprised that the game requires you to have the disc to be inside to play the game, despite there not being a game on the disc.

Glad to hear that I was wrong on this one. I obviously misunderstood what was being said.

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I don't see that ever happening like how it did back in the early days of disc media, like when many of the Final Fantasy games came out with multiple discs.

I definitely remember that. FF7 was on three discs, and FF8 was on four. Now however, I have a Switch card that has them both on it. Things are definitely different.

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Oh for sure, COD is a massive game, sometimes a bit too massive. I remember when it would sometimes eat up the whole damn HD to the point it would just be a COD game and nothing else.

I've heard that CoD is one of the most massive games on the market, on the technical side of how much space it takes up. If it were me, I would either get an external hard drive just for CoD, or a digital system for it. Like an Xbox Series S. They're available EVERY-DAMN-WHERE. So in my eyes that makes sense for such a huge game. That would leave HD space open for you to install smaller games. For example RDR2 takes 105g. Granted that's a hell of a lot of space, but not as much as Cod. The base game is around 35GB, a day one patch has ballooned the game size to up to 150GB when installed with all of its packs on a PS5.

I haven't bought a COD game in years and this is part of the reason why.  I don't have good internet and I can't be bothered dealing with having to delete a bunch of shit and then having to wait potentially days for a download.  I mean I would do this for something like Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade (which I bough on Steam recently) because I can sink dozens if not hundreds of hours into it.  For COD MW2 I'd probably spend more time downloading than I would actually playing it!

There is a case to be made for using uncompressed files, they increase the file size but they also (at least in theory) reduce the workload on the CPU resulting in better performance.  However, I don't think this is what Acti-Blizzard had in mind with this practice.  In this case it's a combination of laziness and greed.

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I definitely remember that. FF7 was on three discs, and FF8 was on four. Now however, I have a Switch card that has them both on it. Things are definitely different.

Storage has gotten a lot better over the years. With Switch cards, they hold a lot more storage, and are probably more reliable. If anything I would be down for studios to adopt what Switch has done with their games, as I imagine it's cheaper than disc based, and also is easier to produce I imagine. 

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I've heard that CoD is one of the most massive games on the market, on the technical side of how much space it takes up. If it were me, I would either get an external hard drive just for CoD, or a digital system for it. Like an Xbox Series S. They're available EVERY-DAMN-WHERE. So in my eyes that makes sense for such a huge game. That would leave HD space open for you to install smaller games. For example RDR2 takes 105g. Granted that's a hell of a lot of space, but not as much as Cod. The base game is around 35GB, a day one patch has ballooned the game size to up to 150GB when installed with all of its packs on a PS5.

I have an external HDD for that very reason lol. I bought a 1TB one for my xbone years back, just because COD and a couple other games were taking up space. It helped a bit, but even so, I didn't have much left for other games. 

I think they could still figure out a way to at least add the campaign for COD on the disc, or multiple discs if needed. The multiplayer mode can be a downloaded anyway, since it makes a lot more sense to just have them download that when they get the game. They need internet anyway, so I think that would work. 

But yeah, COD is a massive game. On top of that, they sometimes make you download graphical stuff like textures and so on. I don't think they're required, so you could maybe save some storage by skipping that portion.