Register Now
DC

Unrealistic jumping in games

Do you like “unrealistic” jump mechanics in games, like double jump, quad jump, jumps that go really far, etc.? If so, what games do you think have the most enjoyable unrealistic jump mechanics? 

I don't mind these things in games because real jumping is, let's race it, a bit boring. Having stuff like double jumps and mid-air manoeuvres makes things mor fun, dynamic and interesting. There are expectations, such like in games like Mirror's Edge that are meant to simulate some form of real life acrobatics (in the case of that game, parkour), but other than that it makes things more interesting and fun.

I have no idea why people feel the need to jump so much. In some games it doesn't even serve a purpose but it's there anyway.

Smite is a perfect example: jumping is completely useless but they added it because people complained about it. Seriously.

I don't mind having unrealistic jumping mechanics as long as it works well in the game, and it makes sense to have them in the game. One example I can think of that recently brought unrealistic jumping to the game was Fortnite. With them now releasing their zero-build mode, we needed ways to be able to get around the map that otherwise would need building and the new jumping mechanics that they have in game now works really well and really does help you get around the map without the need to build. 

Video games are often unrealistic in it's entirety, I am a fan of fighter games as well like mortal Kombat and street fighter, the stunts or fighting style displayed by the characters in Those games are usually unrealistic like the insane backflip, air twist and other styles.

Video games is a shift from reality so I don't expect their jumps to be real in any way as well.