Register Now
Techno

Best Video Game Opening

A few come to mind.

Skyrim: This one deserves a shout for me because RPG's rarely get this right. It's usually come cliched, chosen one nonsense, but even though Skyrim does eventually lean into that trope at least some extent, it doesn't do so right away and offers a start that throws the player right into the scenario in a more daunting and exiting manner. I know the prisoner trope is something the franchise seems obsessed with at the start of thier games for some reason, but it does kind of work. A real start from nothing mantra.

The Last of Us: I mean, talk about impact! Heart pounding, heart racing and heart breaking all at once. It's sense of drama and urgency, but also helplessness really leave a mark on the people who play it.

Horizon Zero Dawn: It may in essence be merely a tutorial into, but it leads into the main story so well, I's also very clever that the game plays this tutorial intro with you playing as Aloy as a young child literally learning from her mentor. It's such a smart angle and the way it sets up the early part of the main game is very well stitched together.

Das a good question! For me it's quite a few. 

GTA San Andreas - Idk, I feel like the beginning is an iconic start. From the "Oh shit, here we go again" to riding your bike and trying to evade a rival gang. It hasn't aged the greatest, but I still have some nostalgia for it. 

Skyrim - It starts slow at first and then it puts you into it pretty fast. I love the freedom you got from the start pretty much. 

The Last of Us - Had to include this too. It starts so fast, and doesn't ever let up. And then of course that ending to the start, still tough to sit through. 

GTA V - Putting you right into a bank heist, gotta love it. I also loved how good it looked with the snow, I wish more missions took place in snow covered levels. I wish GTA would have more snow in the world period. At least put it up in the mountains. I want more dynamic weather that includes snow in future GTAs please. 😄

Silent Hill 2 - It's an iconic start to one of the best horror games ever. Even though I never got too far, I still remember that start. 

Metal Gear Solid 3 - I don't remember much about the start, but I remember it starting out great. I think you get injured at the beginning and have to fix yourself up. I remember you eating a snake. I think that's how it started off. I haven't played MGS3 in probably 10 years, so it's tough remembering some bits. 

There's lots more, so as I think of them, I'll pop back in from time to time. 

On 10/28/2022 at 9:35 PM, Kane99 said:

GTA San Andreas - Idk, I feel like the beginning is an iconic start. From the "Oh shit, here we go again" to riding your bike and trying to evade a rival gang. It hasn't aged the greatest, but I still have some nostalgia for it. 

To be honest this is still my favorite till date, I had just purchased my PlayStation 2 and was installing games when I finally installed GTA sahandres it was love at first site and I think that's the only game I played consistently for the longest period of time.

Titanfall 2's opening and title card are mindblowing to me, and the rest of the campaign really keep the pace. No new mechanic overstays their welcome and it leaves you satisfied at closing time. then We all mention GTA also 🙂 but I would not say all of the GTA, I say GTA IV I liked

13 minutes ago, Empire said:

Titanfall 2's opening and title card are mindblowing to me, and the rest of the campaign really keep the pace. No new mechanic overstays their welcome and it leaves you satisfied at closing time. then We all mention GTA also 🙂 but I would not say all of the GTA, I say GTA IV I liked

I actually liked Titanfall 2's campaign. I liked it's pacing, it's concept and the mechanics. The only complaint I had was that it was too short. And it's no like I'm just being negative to the multiplayer aspect, I probably put more hours into the first game than I did any other multiplayer game ever. The community I was a part of had regular game nights on Titanfall and I loved it.

8 hours ago, Syntax said:

For me, I'm tied between Final Fantasy X, and Death Stranding. 

Death stranding was an epic one and the action game by kojima production also went ahead to win awards for best performing video game, best score and music as well.

I think a sequel was announced to be in development this year I haven't heard much about it though.

Mass Effect 2 comes to mind.

Imagine, if you will: It's been more than two years after the first game. Mass Effect 2 was released. You're excited. You finally get to become Commander Shepard again and reunite with the Normandy crew once more. You might've ignored all the trailers to avoid spoilers. You start the game.

It's 10 minutes in. Commander Shepard is dead.

jon-tron-what.gif

I think it's even better than the Fallout: New Vegas opening because here, you actually get to play out the opening to your death. "Wait, what did I do wrong? Did I reach a bad ending?"

I haven't really forgotten much of that first time I played ME2. I played the first ME around 2009, maybe, so it wasn't as long for me, the period between ME1 and ME2, but I still had the "waitwut" experience.

I also feel like Detroit: Become Human did a great job with starting the game putting you as Connor. That electrifying and heart-pumping Connor theme just softly playing in the background, muffled. Connor doing his cool coin trick. Who is this guy, and why is he so badass? Because that's how he can come off as in the first level alone (depending on your decisions), resolving a hostage situation with ease and walking away like a master detective.

Edited by Akun

12 hours ago, Akun said:

I also feel like Detroit: Become Human did a great job with starting the game putting you as Connor. That electrifying and heart-pumping Connor theme just softly playing in the background, muffled. Connor doing his cool coin trick. Who is this guy, and why is he so badass? Because that's how he can come off as in the first level alone (depending on your decisions), resolving a hostage situation with ease and walking away like a master detective.

I think I have to reconsider my decision not to play Detroit: become human.

I get a lot of good reviews about the game from friends and also in this community.